Laptop wifi problem - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise


Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-12-14, 01:32 PM   #1
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Helston Cornwall
Posts: 522
Default Laptop wifi problem

Bit of advice if poss please.

Have bought a spare hard drive for my spare Toshiba Laptop on which I've loaded a new XP O/S. Problem I'm having is I can no longer access Wifi or Ethernet as there are no drivers present. I've tried to download the Toshiba driver software but it states that it needs IE 8 which my version of XP doesn't have. I can replace my original hard drive with Vista and get wifi and Ethernet but I want XP with Diagbox only on the new hard drive.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions gratefully recvd.
__________________
Nick


308 SW 2.0 HDI 136 FAP SE Dec 2009.
nickcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 31-12-14, 02:25 PM   #2
Moderator
 
windy1603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 5,501
Default

Look on the chipset manufactures website (boot using original hard drive to get info from device manager on make/model of network controller)
nickcc likes this.
__________________
DS5 & DS4 DSport 2.0 HDI 2012, 107 1.0 Urban 2006, 208 1.6 e-HDI Feline 2014, Suzuki RGV 250M 1989 (Money Pit)
windy1603 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-12-14, 02:29 PM   #3
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Helston Cornwall
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
Look on the chipset manufactures website (boot using original hard drive to get info from device manager on make/model of network controller)
Thanks will give it a try.
__________________
Nick


308 SW 2.0 HDI 136 FAP SE Dec 2009.
nickcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 31-12-14, 04:55 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
PaulMillard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 1,056
Default

Hi mate, if you are struggling with the drivers let me know. Its much easier to find the specific wireless card and ethernet card device type than you might think.

If you open up Device Manager - right click on the "Ethernet Adapter" with the yellow question mark and click "Properties"

Go to the "Details" tab and change the drop down menu to "Hardware ID's"

This will show you a string that looks something like this:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&SUBSYS_40608086&REV_24

The first 2 parts of this are all you really need. VEN is the Vendor Specific Code and DEV is the Vendors ID for the adapter present.

In my case i recognise VEN_8086 as Intel and if you google this:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E

You can quickly find out that the wireless card is an Intel Centrino N 6235.

Grab the drivers from Intels website.

This works for everything by the way, not just network adapters.
nickcc likes this.
__________________
2014 308 1.6 HDi - Milton Keynes


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulMillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-12-14, 05:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
storeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oldham, UK
Posts: 5,905
Default

Install chrome or firefox on the laptop and try downloading the drivers from Toshiba again. The site probably needs IE8 to run the hardware discovery code. The latest FF or Chrome should work.
nickcc likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-12-14, 05:56 PM   #6
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Helston Cornwall
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMillard View Post
Hi mate, if you are struggling with the drivers let me know. Its much easier to find the specific wireless card and ethernet card device type than you might think.

If you open up Device Manager - right click on the "Ethernet Adapter" with the yellow question mark and click "Properties"

Go to the "Details" tab and change the drop down menu to "Hardware ID's"

This will show you a string that looks something like this:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E&SUBSYS_40608086&REV_24

The first 2 parts of this are all you really need. VEN is the Vendor Specific Code and DEV is the Vendors ID for the adapter present.

In my case i recognise VEN_8086 as Intel and if you google this:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_088E

You can quickly find out that the wireless card is an Intel Centrino N 6235.

Grab the drivers from Intels website.

This works for everything by the way, not just network adapters.
Many thanks will also give it a try after we've eat our New Years eve meal
PaulMillard likes this.
__________________
Nick


308 SW 2.0 HDI 136 FAP SE Dec 2009.
nickcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-12-14, 06:00 PM   #7
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Helston Cornwall
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Install chrome or firefox on the laptop and try downloading the drivers from Toshiba again. The site probably needs IE8 to run the hardware discovery code. The latest FF or Chrome should work.
Thanks storeman

Problem I have is that I have no internet connection, all the drivers etc will have to be downloaded on my other laptop (win 8.1) and then copied to a USB drive.
__________________
Nick


308 SW 2.0 HDI 136 FAP SE Dec 2009.
nickcc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-12-14, 10:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northumberland.
Posts: 580
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcc View Post
Bit of advice if poss please.

Have bought a spare hard drive for my spare Toshiba Laptop on which I've loaded a new XP O/S. Problem I'm having is I can no longer access Wifi or Ethernet as there are no drivers present. I've tried to download the Toshiba driver software but it states that it needs IE 8 which my version of XP doesn't have. I can replace my original hard drive with Vista and get wifi and Ethernet but I want XP with Diagbox only on the new hard drive.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions gratefully recvd.
I had same problem with HP laptop I use for diagnostics. I could not get wi-fi or sound drivers for XP. Tried everything. I ended up dual booting machine XP and Vista. Got everything on Vista side, only use XP diagnostic work.

Malcolm.
nickcc likes this.
__________________
2005 407 2.0 HDi SE 136
malgpz900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-15, 08:21 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hatfield Herts
Posts: 1,424
Default

Personally I make sure that whilst running Planet or Diagbox my WiFi is disabled and my network card has no cable in It is not required during Diagnostics
nickcc likes this.
__________________
307 2.0 hdi 110 SW 7 Seats (Planet first)
Jagn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-15, 08:29 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
storeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oldham, UK
Posts: 5,905
Default

Sometimes on these laptops there is a folder which contains all the drivers.

I'd be tempted to stick the original hdd back in, find the folder and copy to a memory stick, re-install the new hdd and install the drivers from the memory stick.

If the drivers folder isn't there then go online using the original hdd. If the vendors site complains about the browser version then just install chrome or firefox and try again. You should get the option to choose the operating syatem you want the drivers for. When you get the drivers, save to a memory stick. to start with you only need to get the wifi and / or ethernet for the new install so you can get online to download the rest of the drivers like sound & graphics.

If you still have problems getting drivers from the vendor then maybe Download Drivers Free | Windows Device Driver Downloads and Updates from DriverGuide.com could help find them from another source.
nickcc likes this.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.