Iffy Buyer - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-04-14, 10:11 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Iffy Buyer

I put my Pug on eBay for 10 days. There were 4 or 5 bidders but, last night, the winner was a guy who came out of the blue who had not actually bought anything before. This guy lives about 120 miles away. He had previously won a car and then started asking for a warranty. When the seller told him this was not a part of the advertised sale, he refused the car and got upset. He also had won a starter motor for a BMW but for some reason refused to go through with that too.

On winning, he only then started to ask questions about the car. A bit late…

I checked his address and it didn’t exist – this wasn’t helpful as I would have to put his real address on the V5. I mentioned this to him, and he then changed the address to a valid one.

He then asked for the V5 serial number to check the MOT history on the DVLA’s web site. Now, if someone has that number, they can also see the VIN. So I sent him a screenshot of the entire history from the DVLA site but with the V5 serial number and the VIN blacked out.

Given his past, I’m not too sure about this guy but, is it possible
(i) to clone a V5 (or get a duplicate) if you have the V5 serial number; the VIN, and the owner’s (i.e. my) address?
(ii) Do anything else that would disadvantage me?

Or am I being over cautious?
PureJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-04-14, 11:39 AM   #2

Not over cautious at all.

Was there much difference in the two addresses, distance wise?

As for the VIN, they're no longer as secret as they used to be - its in a little box at the bottom of the windscreen of most Pugs so is visible to everyone.

Personally, if it were me and he was paying cash (I wouldn't accept any other payment TBH), I'd take him to the bank and get him to pay it into your account before releasing the car.
Old 28-04-14, 11:43 AM   #3

Hi

Don't know how many positive seller feed backs you have but if a fair few I think personally I would risk a negative and re auction and ask for refund of eBay fees as buyer has not paid or collected.

If I was not doing that get buyers phone number and speak with him see how he talks do you think he sounds trust worthy

My concern would be he pays then starts with issues relating not suitable for purpose ie may be more trouble than its worth

If you took red list option you can set up a block on your account stopping him buying a second time

I think if buyer never paid and left negative you can ebay to remove said negative as no sale took place

Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
border_all is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 28-04-14, 02:35 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Not over cautious at all.

Was there much difference in the two addresses, distance wise?
They were both in the same city, all he had done was to change the name of the street. But the change was complete, not just a typo.
Quote:
As for the VIN, they're no longer as secret as they used to be - its in a little box at the bottom of the windscreen of most Pugs so is visible to everyone.
Good point, but to do that, he would have to know my address and now he has it.
Quote:
Personally, if it were me and he was paying cash (I wouldn't accept any other payment TBH), I'd take him to the bank and get him to pay it into your account before releasing the car.
My thoughts too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by border_all View Post
Hi

Don't know how many positive seller feed backs you have but if a fair few I think personally I would risk a negative and re auction and ask for refund of eBay fees as buyer has not paid or collected.
Over 2,000. I'm considering this as an option.
Quote:
If I was not doing that get buyers phone number and speak with him see how he talks do you think he sounds trust worthy
Ebay usually advise against this as (a) it often ends up in a row (ii) both sides report the conversation differently
Quote:
My concern would be he pays then starts with issues relating not suitable for purpose ie may be more trouble than its worth
Yes... I can see that happening.
Quote:
If you took red list option you can set up a block on your account stopping him buying a second time

I think if buyer never paid and left negative you can ebay to remove said negative as no sale took place.
I'll look into that.

Thanks to both of you - very helpful.
PureJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-04-14, 05:19 PM   #5
chopper1192

He's won it - the only words I would have for him would be "pay up". Any fannying about he can do in his own time. He's had the length of the auction to ask any reasonable questions and chose not to.

Pay up NOW or feck off would be my reply to his queries.
COLINELLIS likes this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-04-14, 05:27 PM   #6

I agree with chopper BUT as its ebay all things are not equal he can and no doubt WILL mess you around then leave negative feedback for your trouble I gave up selling cars on ebay for this reason its just too risky.

Now they are counting defects as a way of punishing sellers its only going to get worse !

ANYTHING short of perfect is a defect negs refunds opened cases low star ratings ALL defects even buyer changing mind DEFECT

As for the V5 anyone can apply to dvla for a V5 all they need is the REG and the VIN they do not need the previous keepers details or the document number.
Old 28-04-14, 06:24 PM   #7

Don't accept a Paypal payment whatever you do. He'll pay then start a claim to get the money back. He could even cause damage or faults and claim that you sold it like that and even if paypal eventually found in your favour they would freeze your account for an undetermined amount of time while going through the process.

I would seriously think twice about selling to this person. I would cancel the sale and use his actions after winning as the reason for cancelling. If you have questions, the time to ask is before bidding, not after winning.

I think I have my ebay account setup to stop bidders with low feedback making a bid without contacting me first. Alternately you could put a clause in the ad stating people with less then X feedback will have their bids cancelled unless they contact you first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-04-14, 06:55 PM   #8

Ebays bidder blocks are useless now as they block people with less than 0 nobody has less than zero anymore !!
Old 28-04-14, 07:37 PM   #9

A lesson to all here -

If someone buys something on Ebay through paypal with a Credit Card they can "chargeback" you ,
so they could end up with item plus there money back , make sure everything is correct before handing anything over ,

Paypal is crap on "chargebacks" just google it
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-04-14, 09:10 PM   #10

Hi

You can still get minus feedback a new eBay member sold 2 items both gave negative and result -2 feedback score

I think many are honest but sh*t can happen I sold an item recently buyer said not received tracking said delivered then oh found it

Trouble is you can order item if tracking says you have it and don't eBay favour the seller as upto £750 you don't need a signature

I have 600 plus eBay feed backs still use it but very wary of it now trouble is many things you want to sell without them you don't get a luck in

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

border_all is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in