Hybrids - biggest con of the 21st century? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-15, 02:53 PM   #1

Default Hybrids - biggest con of the 21st century?

Just saw an advert on the TV for a new hybrid car - up to 126 mpg.

Any school boy will know the 'Law of Conservation of Energy'.

The car will use the same amount of energy to drive a given distance - either electrical or petrol or both.

This 126 mpg must have been preceded by 20 or 25 mpg - to charge up the battery.

It's not a 'green' thing - the battery is charged up by running the engine.

What a con.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-15, 04:53 PM   #2

126 MPG - is that all. My trip computer regularly says I'm getting 999 MPG out of my 308 HDI

Averaged out, most hybrids have a poorer real world MPG than a similar diesel. It just makes some people think they are being eco friendly by driving one. Even if you charge one using a charging station or plugging it in at home the power stations that generate the electricity you use put out considerable pollutions and use valuable assets so all they are doing is moving the creation of pollution and usage of natural resources onto someone else - after all they are green because they use a hybrid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-15, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post

It's not a 'green' thing - the battery is charged up by running the engine.

What a con.
On my 3008 Hybrid4 the traction battery is charged by regenerative braking and on the overrun (as on the latest F1 cars), so energy that would otherwise be wasted as heat is used for charging, making it free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.6THP GTLine EAT6 Leather+Grip+ACC+O&G+Smart Boot
mooi1uk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-15, 05:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooi1uk View Post
On my 3008 Hybrid4 the traction battery is charged by regenerative braking and on the overrun (as on the latest F1 cars), so energy that would otherwise be wasted as heat is used for charging, making it free.
It's not quite free. Just recycling some (but not all) of the energy used to slow the car. Not forgetting energy has been used to get the car moving in the first place.
I'm not suggesting it's all a waste of time, but free energy means perpetual motion is possible. Until we can bypass some of the laws of conventional physics it ain't gonna happen.

Roger.
Old 01-11-15, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
It's not quite free. Just recycling some (but not all) of the energy used to slow the car. Not forgetting energy has been used to get the car moving in the first place.
I'm not suggesting it's all a waste of time, but free energy means perpetual motion is possible. Until we can bypass some of the laws of conventional physics it ain't gonna happen.

Roger.
Totally agree but by "free" I simply meant that no fuel is being used to charge the battery, it's all done by the generator which is operated by the rear wheels on the overrun. This also has the added advantage of providing extra braking (which is quite considerable) and therefore prolonging the life of the brake pads. I know perpetual motion will never happen

Last edited by mooi1uk; 01-11-15 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 08:58 PM   #6

My 14 years old diesel 307 uses no fuel at all when in gear and slowing down.

Don't know what regenerative braking is - sounds like a load of smoke and mirrors.

It always comes back to the law of conservation of energy - does it then take longer for the car to slow down as its charging the battery?
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-15, 11:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post
My 14 years old diesel 307 uses no fuel at all when in gear and slowing down.

Don't know what regenerative braking is - sounds like a load of smoke and mirrors.

It always comes back to the law of conservation of energy - does it then take longer for the car to slow down as its charging the battery?
My 3008 Hybrid4 also uses no fuel at all when slowing down. The car slows down quicker though because when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal the rear wheels are then turning a generator which charges the traction battery, this takes a lot of effort and the car will even slow down when going down hill without using the brakes. This is what I understand is called "regenerative braking" but I may stand corrected on that term.

Old 01-11-15, 11:39 PM   #8

Regenerative braking basically uses the mass of the car as a power source and the rotation of the wheels turns the motor producing power this in turn slows the vehicle as you get nothing for nothing so the power generated causes the vehicle to slow down hence the term regenerative braking.

Its just gobbledygook for a way of replacing SOME of the energy used to propel the vehicle problem is it takes a different approach to braking to be affective and it probably only replaces 10% at best.

Electric cars are the way forward this clinging on to petrol engines is doing us no favours its just delaying the inevitable i believe we will be driving pure electric cars in my lifetime.
Old 02-11-15, 07:15 AM   #9
Inactive User

I concur.
Year before last, was forced to suffer a Prius (11 plate) company car. Managed almost 55mpg sometimes.
Then swapped it for a BMW 116d and same journeys were seeing over 70mpg.
Changed job and got rid of the company car, so now enjoying my 407.
BTW, watch out for hydrogen fuel cell technology; waste product - water.
Old 02-11-15, 07:52 AM   #10

They have been trying hydrogen power for the last 50 years !!

Dont forget most of the first cars WERE electric
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in