Highway code re learners on Motorway - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-11, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Highway code re learners on Motorway

Last week I was on the M3 and the traffic was at a crawl. On the inside lane I noticed a BSM car, bearing "L" plates, with two people in it. I think it must have been a learner driving because he was gripping the wheel in the regulation "10 to 2" manner and looking ahead intently.

When I was a learner I couldn't drive on motorways and even cars carrying "L" plates were not allowed. Has the law changed?
Webby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-11, 12:58 PM   #2
Inactive User

no it hasnt changed, but he could of already passed his test and doing a pass plus course. they take you on the motorway for that.

i sometimes went down the A1 when i was learning but there is only certain parts up here that are the A1(m), so it was legal on the A1 bit.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-11, 01:31 PM   #3

My undersanding was that no vehicle displaying a "L" plate was allowed - any such plate had to be covered up. Admittedly, this is the only instance I've seen of this.

Old 03-08-11, 01:39 PM   #4
Inactive User

i see loads, especially the ones where the sticker is attached to the paintwork....mine was a magnet so i pulled mine off when my dad wanted the car.

sometimes the bigger companies like the aa and red have theirs decaled on....i think its down to if the driver has passed or not. would cost far too much to keep removing them for someone (who has passed) to drive down a motorway.

Old 03-08-11, 01:42 PM   #5

I think technically the red L plate should only be on display when the operator of the car is a learner driver.

But I don't think people care any more and take them off when a qualified driver is driving.

Its just like the rest of driving standards these days - red light jumpers, box junction blockers, people failing to observe zebra crossing, failing to indicate, failure to check their lights and so on.
john_h likes this.
Old 03-08-11, 01:46 PM   #6

Some good points raised by john_h and gibbo. I must try not to let these things rankle me!
Old 03-08-11, 02:54 PM   #7
Inactive User

i think gibbo has hit the nail on the head...

i just popped down to the shops and motor factors in whitby and on the way back i realised i was driving like a dick...overtaking everyone doing 50mph in a 60mph area!!!

Old 04-08-11, 07:46 PM   #8
jmkent

Taken straight from Highway Code

Quote:
Vehicles. Any vehicle driven by a learner MUST display red L plates. In Wales, either red D plates, red L plates, or both, can be used. Plates MUST conform to legal specifications and MUST be clearly visible to others from in front of the vehicle and from behind. Plates should be removed or covered when not being driven by a learner (except on driving school vehicles).
Motor vehicle documentation and learner driver requirements : Directgov - Travel and transport
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-11, 07:51 PM   #9

You live and learn! I still think the driver was a learner though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in