General Election - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-15, 06:55 PM   #1

Default General Election

The bloke I voted for didn't get in - democracy doesn't work.

Surely proportional representation is the way forward.

Eric Pickles is out - thank gawd for that.

Another 3 years of austerity - take a long look at your local Council - it won't be there in a couple of years.

Nigel Farage - he's got some of my sympathy - not winning the South Thanet seat - then people from the gathered audience shouting 'bye Nigel - see ya'. Bit cruel that.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-15, 07:32 PM   #2

Look on the bright side at least we have a majority government another coalition would have been worse !

Scotland now have the yellow peril in control im not sure that's going to be a good thing in the longer term but we will see.

I DO NOT WANT yet another referendum on independence though !!
Old 11-05-15, 07:43 PM   #3

Some people will be glad to see Camerons Clowns back in government but for some reason I can see a lot of those that voted for them regretting it before the end of the term. Unfortunately there wasn't an obvious alternative but to be honest, a goverment full of teletubbies would have been preferable imho.

Maybe if I win the euro millions I might change my perspective but don't see that happening - mainly because I rarely do the lotteries.

Still, I voted against the clowns so I earned my right to whinge at what they come up with next.
reliable406 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-15, 09:18 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Some people will be glad to see Camerons Clowns back in government but for some reason I can see a lot of those that voted for them regretting it before the end of the term. Unfortunately there wasn't an obvious alternative but to be honest, a goverment full of teletubbies would have been preferable imho.

Maybe if I win the euro millions I might change my perspective but don't see that happening - mainly because I rarely do the lotteries.

Still, I voted against the clowns so I earned my right to whinge at what they come up with next.
Talking to someone this morning who commented that during WW2 we had a coalition that worked because they all pulled together, necessary in the circumstances of the time. Too many politicians are only concerned in staying in power or their constituency rather than working for the common good (imho). Coalitions act to moderate the excesses of a majority party but my belief is that the Lib Dems have paid the price of being in a formal coalition rather than on an issue by issue base which would have not damaged them so much as has happened.
Old 12-05-15, 07:22 AM   #5

Yes, a true coalition is about working together to achieve a result. Clegg chose to forsake everything his party was supposed to stand for and went against everything they said they would do just so that they could say their party was in power. The old saying 'what goes around comes around' certainly held true on polling day and the Lib Dems result was better than they deserved. Maybe they should rename the party to Cameron's lap dog party.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-05-15, 07:31 AM   #6

I'm a Conservative and make no apologies for it. Although I don't completely agree with the aggressive austerity measures, Labour wasn't ready for power and the electorate proved that.

I would have liked to have seen another coalition, but sadly the Lib Dem voters cut off their noses to spite their faces and abandoned the party.

Everyone has been saying for years that Miliband wasn't PM material but Labour blindly carried on supporting their lame duck and ignoring opinion polls and the voices of the electorate. And now the backstabbing will commence from fellow Labour MPs. They don't even know which way they should lean - some say further left to old Labour, others are saying more centre-right.

I just hope to God they don't pick Andy Burnham as the next leader. He was my MP for a while and I can't stand him, he'd turn up to the opening of an envelope to get his face in the paper.
Old 12-05-15, 07:42 AM   #7

The SNP get 56 seats, UKIP gets 1, yet UKIP polled ten times as many votes, the Lib Dems not much less to return 8 MPs.
Whatever your political views, this is a screwed up system, we haven't come that far from the rotten boroughs of the 18th century.
PR seems to work in Germany as well as many other nations, so I don't see it as a recipe for disaster.

As has been said (attributed to many historical figures); "Democracy is a terrible way to run a country until you consider the alternatives."
Benign despotism could work, but unfortunately that seems to be an oxymoron.
Roger.
storeman likes this.
Old 12-05-15, 07:51 AM   #8

I can't see proportional representation ever coming into existence in the UK. No matter which party is in power, they won't introduce it for fear that they will lose out in the next election. Instead they'll keep changing boundaries so that two or more seats that are likely to go to the opposition are merged into one seat and one seat they are likely to win is split into two seats. We only have a semblance of democracy. True democracy is a bit like communism - great in theory but can't really work due the the biggest obstacle - human nature. As for Gibbo being a conservative - well while I don't hold the same political views I won't hold it against him. Just proves that even Gibbo isn't perfect

Old 15-05-15, 04:00 PM   #9
Inactive User

Well, the reason we don't have PR is that the people democratically chose not to when there was a referendum a few years ago.

This is as it should be, as far as I am concerned it's true democracy.

So there are some apparent aberrations (e.g. SNP votes/seat vs. UKIP votes/seat) but that is how the system works.
I don't quite like the SNP taking all these votes but I happily accept the outcome nonetheless.

Despite last parliament's coalition, generally speaking UK has had majority government for most of the last decades.
Of course, each time, at least close to half of the population is against whoever is in power but so what?
It's still preferable to endless coalitions and governments that fall every couple of years as other countries have.
Old 15-05-15, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorTepee View Post
Well, the reason we don't have PR is that the people democratically chose not to when there was a referendum a few years ago.
Less than half of the voting population voted in that referendum so hardly makes it a realistic representation of the views of the whole population.

The followers of the governing party at the time who bothered to vote on PR probably voted against because they thought the opposition would win with PR and if so hardly a true democratic decision.

I much prefer the system we use regardless of it's flaws to a dictatorship but saying it's true democracy is misleading. It's like democracy but not true democracy.

It really shouldn't be voted on - it should be set in stone. A much fairer way of choosing the governing party would be to just vote on which party you would like to see in power and the party that gets the most votes is the governing party. Or an alternative would be that each and every seat had the same number of constituents so no single party could get 2 seats with the same number of eligible voters to a single seat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in