Driving a van - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-11, 09:59 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Driving a van

Hi folks,

im basically wondering and preparing myself for this. my mates want to hire a van from B&Q as they are going to buy loads of stuff and it wont fit in the car, the cost is theirs, im just driving.

ive checked it all out and i meet the criteria in terms of age, licence etc.

what im wondering is, is it much different to driving a LWB 3.5t ford transit to driving a car? i know there is more weight etc so braking distances will be longer but like corners etc....any tips?

this will be my first time driving a van, biggest ive gone is LWB Land Rover...

thanks in advance

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-11, 10:05 AM   #2
JazzJPH

Not that much difference really, you're higher up so it's easier to see everything. As long as you're good with spacial awareness you should be ok.

It's the manouvres that prove to be dodgy with the longer vehicles (compared with manouvring a car) but it doesn't take much to get used to.

Is it a pickup body or a full van? Tall or normal Tranny style?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-11, 10:20 AM   #3
Inactive User

just a tall, long wheel base ford transit....the types you see pikeys in. heres a link

Hertz On Demand Rental Cars by the Hour. 24/7. Convenient. Hassle Free.

should show you a B&Q van

Old 09-08-11, 11:31 AM   #4
Inactive User

Like Jazz said not much difference but be aware of the height if ya going anywhere near a car port or lean to.

Last edited by john_h; 09-08-11 at 11:39 AM.
alf1415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-11, 12:30 PM   #5
Inactive User

thanks alf, nah only place is the car park to a mates house...staying clear of anything overhead.

Old 09-08-11, 04:29 PM   #6
Super Moderator

You'll be fine. I've been doing it for years, just remember the extra length!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-11, 04:41 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoxsi View Post
You'll be fine. I've been doing it for years, just remember the extra length!
cheers stevo... should be no worries, learning to drive PCV for arriva soon so i got to learn one way or another haha

Old 09-08-11, 05:42 PM   #8
jmkent

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_h View Post
cheers stevo... should be no worries, learning to drive PCV for arriva soon so i got to learn one way or another haha
Don't go admitting you'll be a bus driver.... one of the worse drivers on the roads!!!

Absolutely no worries driving a van... transits are hardly much wider than a car really. They'll drive just the same, probably even faster these days
Just be good with your mirrors... no looking out the back .... I've always used wing mirrors rather than looking round out rear window, and it makes driving vans second nature... I was even parking 10t trucks at work after passing at 17 before buying my first car
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-11, 06:18 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent View Post
Don't go admitting you'll be a bus driver.... one of the worse drivers on the roads!!!
im not just yet, starting to learn in a few weeks...so ill learn how to be more of a cun....on the roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkent View Post
Absolutely no worries driving a van... transits are hardly much wider than a car really. They'll drive just the same, probably even faster these days
Just be good with your mirrors... no looking out the back .... I've always used wing mirrors rather than looking round out rear window, and it makes driving vans second nature... I was even parking 10t trucks at work after passing at 17 before buying my first car
thanks for the tips, that not looking out the rear kinda sounds like land rovers...no point in lookin as you cant see out...sounds really simple, i thought there would be a massive difference...

Old 09-08-11, 06:30 PM   #10

Vans are pretty much cars with no rear windows(ok some have got windows but you cant see sh*t out of them cos the bit in the middle is obscurred)
best advice john is watch when your turning tight and give a little bit more room, the biggest/most common mistake agency drivers make at our place is turning too soon and catching bollards etc just in front of the rear wheels.

when you gonna be driving it so i can come and laugh at you whilst following in my van laughing and pointing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in