Close Call - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise


Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-09-18, 04:28 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
storeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oldham, UK
Posts: 5,905
Default Close Call

Friday 21st, 5:20 am. dark and puring down with rain I'm on my way to work.

Passing a parked transit type van just before a right hand bend when all of a sudden, a Vauxhall insignia comes flying around the bend and just misses a head on collision. The two door mirrors got very intimate resulting in both being smashed. Insurance notified and was told their authorised repairer will be in contact. Got a call from the repairers mid afternoon saying they will have the car in for repair within 48 hours and someone will contact me with all the details.

Heard nothing further so decided to try and find a mirror online. It's an allure so has the chrome effect trim and managed to find one at a breakers in Cornwall. Decided to buy it - 84 including postage & VAT and delivered the following Tuesday (too late for them to post for Monday delivery)

Arrived by 1pm on Tuesday 25th and 15 - 20 minutes later the car looks as if nothing happened. Insurance claim cancelled and complained about the repairer.

Was gutted when it happened and I never realised just how much I use the door mirror until it was gone. Feeling good now the car no longer looks wounded. Sending dashcam footage to insurers just to be on safe side. It shows how the other driver drifted out as the speed he was doing prevented him from taking the normal line through the bend. He was doing in my estimation about 50mph on a 30mph road approaching a pretty sharp bend. Much too fast for the conditions.

Authorised repairers finally contacted me on the tuesday about 30 minutes before the replacement mirror arrived.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 27-09-18, 04:31 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 117
Default

good job, was the cornish breakers..Combellack by any chance ??
__________________
Owned R1, 206,207,306,407
Hyundai Kona
steve9007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-09-18, 07:16 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
storeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oldham, UK
Posts: 5,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9007 View Post
good job, was the cornish breakers..Combellack by any chance ??
Sure was, great service and very helpfull over the phone. I called to check it was the mirror with chrome effect cover and they confirmed immediately telling me it came off an allure model.

Would definitely recommend people try them if they are having difficulty sourcing a part locally.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 28-09-18, 07:19 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 117
Default

Yeah they are just up the road from me. They have a website aswell which is pretty good and like you say they very helpful aswell.
__________________
Owned R1, 206,207,306,407
Hyundai Kona
steve9007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-09-18, 09:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
2Stevo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Friday 21st, 5:20 am. dark and puring down with rain I'm on my way to work.

Passing a parked transit type van just before a right hand bend when all of a sudden, a Vauxhall insignia comes flying around the bend and just misses a head on collision. The two door mirrors got very intimate resulting in both being smashed. Insurance notified and was told their authorised repairer will be in contact. Got a call from the repairers mid afternoon saying they will have the car in for repair within 48 hours and someone will contact me with all the details.

Heard nothing further so decided to try and find a mirror online. It's an allure so has the chrome effect trim and managed to find one at a breakers in Cornwall. Decided to buy it - 84 including postage & VAT and delivered the following Tuesday (too late for them to post for Monday delivery)

Arrived by 1pm on Tuesday 25th and 15 - 20 minutes later the car looks as if nothing happened. Insurance claim cancelled and complained about the repairer.

Was gutted when it happened and I never realised just how much I use the door mirror until it was gone. Feeling good now the car no longer looks wounded. Sending dashcam footage to insurers just to be on safe side. It shows how the other driver drifted out as the speed he was doing prevented him from taking the normal line through the bend. He was doing in my estimation about 50mph on a 30mph road approaching a pretty sharp bend. Much too fast for the conditions.

Authorised repairers finally contacted me on the tuesday about 30 minutes before the replacement mirror arrived.
I feel your pain.

If I sustained damage to my vehicle like that, it would kill my soul slightly every day I looked at it therefore would need to get it fixed asap.

That's maybe the old OCD kicking in though....
2Stevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-09-18, 10:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
storeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oldham, UK
Posts: 5,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stevo2 View Post
I feel your pain.

If I sustained damage to my vehicle like that, it would kill my soul slightly every day I looked at it therefore would need to get it fixed asap.

That's maybe the old OCD kicking in though....

Believe me - that's exactly how I felt. From the moment of impact till the moment I fastened the last screw in the door card I felt miserable. After completing the job of replacing the mirror I couldn't stop looking out of my living room window to check how nice it looked again
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-09-18, 07:55 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
WV62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: S.Wales
Posts: 20
Default

My 407 got clouted while parked. The wife had just got out and hadn't yet locked the door so the mirror was still out. The other car hit the passenger door mirror so hard when the mirror swung back it dented the passenger door. You were lucky it's just a mirror, I can't polish a dent out
__________________
Ratty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
WV62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.