Clegg and Farage Debate - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-14, 10:24 AM   #1

Default Clegg and Farage Debate

What an utter waste to time.

There is no debate - we need to be in the EU - in that way we can influence the decision makers of Europe - in fact we would be one.

Exiting the EU is as bonkers as Scotland wanting to break away from the UK.

I mean just look at what we've gained from being members of the EU - straight bananas for one (perhaps on reflection not that good an example).
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-14, 10:34 AM   #2

Straight bananas yes that is the best thing we have got from the EU

If you ask me IF we are part of the EU we need to be totally part of the EU not just a member but we should have the euro too then this other silly debate about whether Scotland would keep the pound if the idiots vote yes would have been irrelevant as London would have no control of the currency.

I have never understood why they want to be part of Europe but not adopt the European currency in that respect they may as well leave
Old 03-04-14, 12:42 PM   #3

Its just been mentioned on the news that the EU want to scrap mobile phone roaming charges across Europe: BBC News - MEPs vote to scrap mobile roaming fees in Europe

I'm grateful to the EU for their strict laws on the environment. If it weren't for them we'd be surrounded by landfills and our seas and rivers would still be polluted and not the cleanest they've been since the Industrial Revolution.

Old 03-04-14, 01:29 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanless View Post
What an utter waste to time.

There is no debate - we need to be in the EU - in that way we can influence the decision makers of Europe - in fact we would be one.

Exiting the EU is as bonkers as Scotland wanting to break away from the UK.

I mean just look at what we've gained from being members of the EU - straight bananas for one (perhaps on reflection not that good an example).
What a load of bollocks, being in the EU is a constant drain on our countries finances, we are being told what we can and can't do by some numpty in Brussels who is forcing us to help bail other countries out (Greece, Spain) when we are drowning in the beurocracy that our own ministers inflict on us. The country is over flowing with with imi9grants, legal or other wise, and yet we are being forced to take more and more each year. Wake up and smell the coffee.
melosv8man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-14, 02:56 PM   #5
Stubbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Its just been mentioned on the news that the EU want to scrap mobile phone roaming charges across Europe: BBC News - MEPs vote to scrap mobile roaming fees in Europe
This is a really poor idea, all it'll do is push the cost of a contract up for everyone!

The phone companies aren't going to take the loss of a major revenue stream lightly!

Great if you travel loads, but if you rarely do or never do you are paying for sod all!

Best thing to do would be have a set charge, like 1.50 or 2 a day and any usage comes out of your bundles
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-14, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosv8man View Post
What a load of bollocks, being in the EU is a constant drain on our countries finances, we are being told what we can and can't do by some numpty in Brussels who is forcing us to help bail other countries out (Greece, Spain) when we are drowning in the beurocracy that our own ministers inflict on us. The country is over flowing with with imi9grants, legal or other wise, and yet we are being forced to take more and more each year. Wake up and smell the coffee.
Got to agree. The EU has one or two decent initiatives to it's name but a whole lot more that are at best pointless to the UK. Don't get me started on us joining in with the Euro as our currency.

Member states of the EU are supposed to have free passage across borders with no customs interference but we still have to show our passports when entering an EU country and coming back home. Bringing back one extra bottle of booze or an extra carton of cigarettes and HMRC will be shafting you faster than you could imagine was physically possible.

The sooner we leave the EU the better then we won't have some brain dead bureaucrat in Germany enforcing ridiculous regulations on us and vetoing sensible initiatives that the elected government want to put in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-14, 06:56 PM   #7

I dunno. You lot dragging up all the old arguments. Immigrants are attracted to this country because of the 'soft' benefits system. We simply make it too easy for someone to choose the lifestyle of a sponger on the state. Cut back benefits, no benefits if no job in 6 months - all making the country less 'attractive'. Health tourism - taking the pith out of a free at point of delivery health system. Let's go for the USA approach - no pay no medical care.

Let's have all the expats back here and watch the island sink into the sea. It's a 2 way street.
pr1vatepiles likes this.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-14, 08:01 PM   #8

Have to agree there are just as many brits abroad as there are non brits here and our health system however crap we think it is is very attractive to poorer countries that and the benefits system do need a shake up but none have the balls to really shake it up !!1
Old 03-04-14, 09:16 PM   #9

Much as I despise the scroungers, shaking up the benefit system would hurt the genuine claimants just as much if not more than the wasters. My son who is far from being stupid was not the academic type and didn't do well at all in his GCE exams. Consequently he has found it difficult to find a job. He spent about 6 months on job seekers allowance then had to take a dead end so called apprenticeship for the same money he was getting on benefits.

After about two months of that I helped him find a position as an outdoor activity instructor for about twice the money. This lasted 12 months. This was also supposed to be an apprenticeship but all they do is take kids on for the one season then replace them with a new batch of school leavers for the cheap labour.

When they ended his contract just before Christmas last year he has been applying for every job he could with no luck whatsoever. Eventually a friends mother who works in HR for a company managed to pull some strings and he now has a job working 3pm till 11pm on minimum wage. Although the job isn't what he would really like to do he's going to stick at it. He would have liked to have been taken on permanently at the outdoor training as that is the kind of work he loves and is bloody good at it. He holds a level one F.A. coaching certificate, is a certified level 2 UK dodgeball coach and has passed courses in childrens safety & first aid plus all the industry qualifications he got whilst at the centre..

He wants to work but circumstances made it difficult to find a job and radical changes would have caused him hardship. It's the ones who have no intention of going out to work that should be targeted but how do you prove who is a true scrounger and who has been out of work for a long time but really wants to get a job ?

The only way I could see that would be fair to the genuine people would be to force everyone to do some kind of work for their money but only giving them the equivalent of what my son received wouldn't be a fair pay. The least they should receive would be minimum wage but that would massively increase the benefits budget.

As for free healthcare then my opinion is that all immigrants would be required to have worked for at least 12 months before they were entitled to free health care. If they can't or won't work and pay into the system then they are quite welcome to take out a health insurance to cover their medical expenses and medication costs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-14, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I'm grateful to the EU for their strict laws on the environment. If it weren't for them we'd be surrounded by landfills and our seas and rivers would still be polluted and not the cleanest they've been since the Industrial Revolution.
Obviously you do not live in London then
I live in mainland EUorpe and I can see advantages to the EU. However there are more points against than for. One currency does not work. Even the likes of strong economies are suffering under this, the weak ones even more so.
The rules say importing a car has not be standardised throughout Europe. The rules about when you have to change your Drivers licence has not been standardised. Us Brits do not have ID cards becase of some Brits going to the court of thet EU we have to have a certificate which has no photo on it. So now we have to carry around passports for photo ID. Where as the navites just use a small credit card sized bit of plastic. But it has allowed be to live somewhere warmer and with less air pollution!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in