Can't believe my luck - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-17, 01:10 PM   #1

Default Can't believe my luck

Well it's happened again. Someone came out of a side street with give way markings and hit me. He didn't stop at the junction and probably didn't even look. I was completely on the wrong side of the road when he hit me. The dashcam has now paid for itself as it clearly shows him pulling out without stopping and shows I swerved to the wrong side of the road to try and avoid the collision then the thud when he hit. Creased & scraped both passenger side doors and dented & scraped the sill and rear wheel arch.

Not a happy bunny but the dashcam will prove I'm not at fault. He basically admitted fault at the scene as he asked if I wanted to go through insurance or let him get it sorted out. I didn't want a bodge job of slapping filler on and painting, I want the repair done right so insisted on insurance involvement. So now waiting to get it all sorted. It couldn't have happened at a worse time as I'm flying to Canada tomorow and my car parking reservation is linked to my registration and cannot be changed so going to have to wait till next Friday before they can collect for repair. The incident is very close to the end of the 2 minute clip.

https://youtu.be/9WvuWVBBhf0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by storeman; 06-01-17 at 01:25 PM.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-17, 03:29 PM   #2

Sorry to hear/see that ....as a note if I was not at fault I would always go thro insurance...I had a guy back into me at tescos and because he had the cheek to point at my reg '53' he said its not worth repairing...its my own plate with by initials its realy a 57...but instead of buffing out a bumper mark i went tho insurance,,they got the c.c.t.v from tesco...proved it was his fault...result= free hire car..i week..smart repair done in body shop....full valet collection delivery.....total ..2300...
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-17, 05:03 PM   #3

Just to add.....well done for nearly avoiding that fool....I hope his insurance will reflect his 'ability'and hope he thanks you for being able to drive and not 't'bone him..cameras are cructial these days .I have rear ones as well...on both cars...
noddy-hol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-17, 05:05 PM   #4

The fact he 'offered' to get the repairs done was an admission of liability anyway. I didn't want a back street bodge job doing. The insurers authorised repair centre give a 5 year warranty on all their work so more than happy to let them sort it out. I get a free hire car of similar size for as long as the repair takes and the insurance have been furnished with the dashcam footage so I don't anticipate there being any question as to who was at fault.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-17, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noddy-hol View Post
Just to add.....well done for nearly avoiding that fool....I hope his insurance will reflect his 'ability'and hope he thanks you for being able to drive and not 't'bone him..cameras are cructial these days .I have rear ones as well...on both cars...
Thanks for the compliment. I honestly thought he was going to stop but quickly realised that he wasn't. I stopped the video just before the collision just to make sure there were lines across the side street and stopped it on a frame where the air fresheners swung in front of the camera as I pulled to the right. He musn't have even looked in my direction as I always drive with my dip beams on so he can't say he looked but didn't see me.

Old 07-01-17, 12:04 PM   #6

Dashcams seem to be the must-have (I hate that phrase) today. With so many crazy drivers about we need 'em. Having the insurance involved is good, I believe they can check other details too, basically if the other person is legal or not, if not they need to be nicked. Plus from what I've seen, repair shops tend only to want insurance jobs.

All in all, dash-cam + insurance company = good idea

If you have time to spare, check out crazy Russian driver vids on YouTube, some show the most unexpected collisions that only a dash-cam could prove happen.

I just watched your vid, I like the groovy latin style piano music.. anyway the little car just pulled out without looking. I see this a lot on my motorcycle, it's a killer. Did the little black car also have blacked out windows? On a murky northern day like that, side visibility must be next to zero.

Last edited by SilverDash; 07-01-17 at 12:10 PM.
SilverDash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-17, 06:49 PM   #7
Inactive User

I have a dash cam in my car now, Mrs bought it for me for Christmas. Way to many idiots on the roads. Their good in a way but we all need to remember that we're also being recorded driving. I have 2 on my helmet for when I'm going to work on my bike, 1 facing forward & 1 facing rear. Dam good I have them as I was hit nearly 2 years ago by a chav driving his mums car, denied to the Police he was driving on the said road, Police gave him umpteen chances to admit to him being there, then low and behold after seeing the footage, he said it was him.
Hope it all sorted pretty swiftly for you
geordiekev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-17, 11:13 AM   #8
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDash View Post
Dashcams seem to be the must-have (I hate that phrase) today. With so many crazy drivers about we need 'em. Having the insurance involved is good, I believe they can check other details too, basically if the other person is legal or not, if not they need to be nicked. Plus from what I've seen, repair shops tend only to want insurance jobs.

All in all, dash-cam + insurance company = good idea

If you have time to spare, check out crazy Russian driver vids on YouTube, some show the most unexpected collisions that only a dash-cam could prove happen.

I just watched your vid, I like the groovy latin style piano music.. anyway the little car just pulled out without looking. I see this a lot on my motorcycle, it's a killer. Did the little black car also have blacked out windows? On a murky northern day like that, side visibility must be next to zero.
Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes do offer discounts for HD dash cams.
Regards,
Dan.
Adrian Flux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-17, 11:41 AM   #9

Dashcams are definitely worth the expense. For me, it makes driving a lot less stressful because you aren't constantly worried about someone hitting your pride and joy, then claiming it was your fault.

When it comes down to a repair, if it wasn't your fault, whether you go through insurance or not, it's your choice which bodyshop you go to. Get a quote from a bodyshop you trust and get that cash paid within 2-3 days. Any longer and they are going to mess you around.

In my 8 years of driving, my dashcams have recorded an endless amount of near misses (including one where a HGV decided to swerve into my lane when 2 motorways were merging...which promptly ended with me running over a series of road traffic cones on the hard shoulder because messing with a 40 tonne wagon is not something to be attempted) and some even crazier events, like an obese chav woman with 16 billion kids shouting racist obscenities at me as I drove past. A few minutes later, I was forcefully stopped by 2 police cars and getting charged with attempting to run a pedestrian over..... Until the dashcam footage came out and it clearly showed:

A. I was nowhere near the pedestrian.
B. If I wanted to run her over, I would have to run my friend over first.
C. I was changing lanes, so I was driving away from her.

In the end that pedestrian was charged with a number of offences, that must have been fun for her!
BiGK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-01-17, 01:05 PM   #10

Yep, A dashcam is something that should come as standard in every new car these days. I was deemed to be at fault in what I considered a crash for cash type collision. A good quality dashcam would have proved I wasn't to blame.

As for the comment about having your own driving style recorded - well that is true BUT I have no problems with that. Very rarely exceed the speed limit and those occasions where I do exceed the limit are usually instances when using cruise and going down a hill the speed begins to creep up. I record the speed as an overlay on the video so when reviewing the footage any interested party can see my driving immediately before any incident and know that it wasn't something I did that led to the incident happening.

Anyways the repairer now has the car and they've sent in an estimate which is at a value that makes it repairable. The hire car is on it's way and is being organised by a seperate fleet services company who invoice the third party directly rather than through my insurance.

The icing on top of the cake is that I now have a voicemail from the other party's insurance company accepting liability and stating it is obvious it was their policy holder who was to blame for the collision along with a letter from them offering to supply a hire car and arrange for repairs themselves.
noddy-hol likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in