But It's Cheaper Online ... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 407XJR
  • 1 Post By marchie1053
  • 1 Post By trem1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-07-14, 08:52 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default But It's Cheaper Online ...

I'm as guilty as anyone else - visit the shop to see/try it out and then order online to get the cheaper price. However ...

Mrs Marchie is looking for a new camera and it seems the Nikon Coolpix P600 fits the bill from the online description. We cannot find a store in Scotland that carries it in stock (it's not a super duper high end camera that costs 000s - it's a decent Bridge Camera - next level up from "point & shoot" with RRP of 329).

Currys/PC World/John Lewis plus various independent camera shops can all get the camera for us within 24 hours IF we pay in advance ...

A camera is a very personal thing, in the sense that, however technically brilliant its features appear to be, it has to suit the user so a "try before you buy" is entirely appropriate.

Imagine phoning your local Peugeot Dealer - "I've seen the 3008 brochure - can I have a Test Drive?"

"Yes, sir - if you pay for the car now we can have it available for tomorrow ..."

We can buy the camera from an electrical store (Kingfisher Group company) in France where it is in stock and where the price is about 15 cheaper because of the exchange rate but I really would prefer to buy in the UK - grrr!
marchie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 15-07-14, 09:05 AM   #2
Inactive User

I had a look round when my father was buyin me a camera as a gift. I wanted a manual zoom bridge, only place i could find them was Jessops, i ended up with the Fujifilm HS50 EXR, crackin camera and is about the same price as your nikon. Might be worth a look
trem1 likes this.
Old 15-07-14, 09:10 AM   #3

keep your bridges I'll stick with my Nikon DSLR Only joking folks, i still have my fuji HS30 EXR bridge and it is a fantastic camera, off to google the p600

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 15-07-14, 09:54 AM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trem1 View Post
keep your bridges I'll stick with my Nikon DSLR Only joking folks, i still have my fuji HS30 EXR bridge and it is a fantastic camera, off to google the p600
Hi Trem

Mrs Marchie does not want to "faff around with lenses" ... And she is the boss!

Have a look at dpreview.com for the P600 reviews and some cracking photos taken by people living within reach of US National Parks and Canada. There's also piccies from Alnwick Castle that are really good.

The optical zoom is the big attraction - we want to take pictures of birdlife from the disused quarry in France - those from my (9 year old) Canon look like the black arrow shapes that I used to draw at school as a 5 year old

Had a chance to look at a Canon D6 on holiday last month - bloody lovely but silly money when the cost of lenses is added on (plus Mrs Marchie's disapproval - see above ).
Old 15-07-14, 10:02 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407XJR View Post
I had a look round when my father was buyin me a camera as a gift. I wanted a manual zoom bridge, only place i could find them was Jessops, i ended up with the Fujifilm HS50 EXR, crackin camera and is about the same price as your nikon. Might be worth a look
The reviews for the Fuji were not as good as for the Nikon re speed of processing and image quality for wildlife and bird shots. Shame really, since the Fuji is available to see in stores and it does look a tidy bit of kit.

Left to my own devices, I would opt for a Canon D6 (or D70) DSLR and lots of expensive lenses but that would leave nothing in the kitty for the divorce costs ... Mind you, I'd have a novel storage place for the camera with a built in darkroom (albeit slightly smelly) after Mrs Marchie had finished
trem1 likes this.
Old 15-07-14, 10:38 AM   #6

its all about personal choice with camera's the fuji has higher iso and a 30 second shutter speed for longer exposures than the nikon. As for processing speed i find the manual zoom of the fuji better, imo by the time the nikon's power zoom has got to where you want it the manual zoom of the fuji has been there and taken the photo already.

But this could/will go on forever just like the Nikon/Canon debate when talking Dslr's I went Nikon BTW
marchie1053 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 15-07-14, 10:52 AM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trem1 View Post
its all about personal choice with camera's the fuji has higher iso and a 30 second shutter speed for longer exposures than the nikon. As for processing speed i find the manual zoom of the fuji better, imo by the time the nikon's power zoom has got to where you want it the manual zoom of the fuji has been there and taken the photo already.

But this could/will go on forever just like the Nikon/Canon debate when talking Dslr's I went Nikon BTW
The main point I was making was that the "Cheaper online" that we all pursue has removed the chance to see the item before purchase.

I agree re personal choice - I've always bought Canon and have been very happy. BUT, Canon have a massive investment in the lens business, and need to protect that. Consequently, they appear to keep the Bridge & Compact System (last major player to market) in place behind the DSLR money spinners. IMO, the Nikon is a better prospect than the Canon equivalent (still has the slow processing that my 9 year old Canon has ...) BUT Mrs Marchie will be the purchaser so her decision. That way, I'll avoid the blame ...
Old 15-07-14, 11:11 AM   #8

yea i understand what you mean,when i was looking for my camera a few months ago, we went out to currys/ jessops and physically held the camera choices i had in mind,then came home and bought online from digitalrev (grey import) at a fraction of the cost. it worked out that i could buy a camera with the 18-55mm lens and a 55-300mm lens for less than just the body at Jessops

Old 15-07-14, 06:19 PM   #9

I've had several Canon DSLR's and been pretty happy with all of them but the trouble with all SLR's is the horrendous cost of lenses. I had quite a few lenses covering wide angle to 450mm of various quality bands but could never justify the cost of the L range of lenses.

As I got older the bother of carting all the gear around including two camera bodies and half a dozen lenses took the fun out of it for me - specially if that one off photo opportunity arose and you had the wrong lens attached.

I sold the slr's & lenses and went for a bridge camera - a Canon SX1 IS. I chose this one as it had the one important (to me) feature that most other affordable bridge cameras didn't - the ability to shoot in RAW. I would never buy another camera that only records Jpegs. I enjoy editing photos as much as taking them so having the maximum amount of data to play with is a must. Because these cameras have such a large focal length coverage the lenses will always be a compromise and tend to be soft at both extremes of the zoom range. Software sharpening can improve these softer shots if needed but only to a certain extent and I generally find that if a shot is going to be beyond salvage it will always be the one you really wanted to be spot on.

Some of the latest bridge cameras have way too much zoom for my liking. The 20X optical zoom on mine can be way too long for hand held shots in poor lighting conditions and super fast ISO settings introduce far too much noise to get decent sharpness. Shutter lag can also be an issue and can't compete with todays entry level DSLR's shutter response.

I've always been biased towards Canon as the Nikon viewfinder was smaller and darker than Canons but I looked at one of the latest Nikon consumer level DSLRs and was mightily impressed with it. Had I been looking to buy one then I think I would have chosen the Nikon brand this time.

storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in