Bad workmanship - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-14, 07:33 PM   #1
Inactive User

Exclamation Bad workmanship

Guys, here are some pics from work of some bad workmanship.

[ATTACH]march-2014-5s-074.jpg[/ATTACH]
march-2014-5s-070.jpg

I cannot say where I work but this was the handy work of one of our agency fitters, ex army, who when having his work inspected by me always had an excuse or argument for why he hadn't done his job properly!!

He also tried to blame me and said it was harassment by me against him, he has since been sacked!!

I'm VOSA trained and have been a vehicle examiner for 4 years and have 15 years + in the trade, but have never seen workmanship this bad.

I will add I'm not an MOT tester and this is not from a commercial garage or workshop!

Beware this guy maybe working in a garage or workshop in Essex or Suffolk!!

I looked at this vehicle fortunately before taking it on road test, and chances are the spring may well have settled back into the top spring cup on it's own, but it might not have done and had I road tested it first I might of been unfortunate and had an accident.

I could have injured myself or worse a member of the public!! Or even killed somebody!!!

307dan
Advertisement

Old 12-04-14, 08:12 PM   #2

Tongue in cheek response......

Come on - the poor guy has a reasonable excuse - he's a fitter not a mechanic and as every mechanic knows, fitters are the lowest of the low and can't do anything right

Wonder if the guy who fitted that spring would have been as blasť if it was his personal transport.

To be serious, how can anyone leave a job like that and not expect to get a bollocking ?
When I was an apprentice I was taught to have pride in my work before I was taught anything about motors. Maybe that's why I'm skint though. I try to do the best job I can and to do it right first time rather than bodge the job and take the money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-14, 08:54 PM   #3
Inactive User

I used the term fitter in the lightest sense possible!!!

He turned up initially with a fatmax toolbox!!

After about 2 months he got a halfords professional rollcab, mid and topbox.
Then he started buying milwaukee battery tools, that's part of the problem though, he had the certs to say he could do the job as he was army trained, but didn't have the feel for using his tools correctly due to lack of experience!!

Being in the army they never finish the work they started due to doing pt or paperwork! When I was training, and I didn't do n apprenticeship but a 2 year course at college, you had to learn about hand tools and how to use them!

We were not allowed to use air tools at college until the 2nd year once we had a feel.
You know how an air impact gun has a feel and you instinctively know when to let go of the trigger, but his milwaukee battery 1/2" impact gun had 900nm of torque, so no feel and it would just keep going until SNAP!!!

He was doing jubilee clips up with a 3/8" battery gun FFS!!

The road springs he didn't fit, a lad with one year under his belt did, he fitted the rear shocks but dropped the axle so far the springs dropped out of their seats. The lad with 1 year under his belt had maybe 3 out of 15-20 vehicle that I found something needing rectification on, milwaukee kid had mulltiple faults on every vehicle!!!

He runied a front axle by bending the radius arm mountings, he sheared a rear shock mounting stud with his milwaukee, because I told him to fit new nylocs on it as he didn't when renewing the shocks, he also tore a hole in the side of a new michelin tyre with the tyre machine!! He left nylocs loose on suspension mountings, constantly failed to fit new nylocs to renewed components and where work was required to maybe adjust items or rnw jubilee clips he didn't do it. Then when told to rectify the faults he'd argue he'd done it despite on greasy, dirty nuts and bolts I could see a spanner, socket or screwdriver had never been near them!!!

307dan

Old 12-04-14, 09:10 PM   #4

No excuse for bad workmanship. But do not tar all ex forces people the same. The majority of us/them do/did a sterling job, often under extreme duress and difficult circumstances. In the field there is not always a fully equipped workshop and speed is of the essence. However as I say there is no excuse for bad, sloppy or downright dangerous procedures. Bad workmanship happens throughout not only the mechanical worls but pretyy much all industry and professions (SOME bankers are what they are for instance).
Well done on you though for QCing his work and preventing dangerous vehicles to leave your workshop.

REME - Reck Everything Mainly Engines (But keeping the army on the move) :-)
Cibear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-14, 09:35 PM   #5
Inactive User

Like I say I cannot disclose where I work but have seen it first hand and them first hand at work. Although they do keep the army rolling out in theatre, they don't have the full understanding and knowledge from their training to cut the mustard in a real workshop. I will say though a few, maybe 20%, I've seen/met have the ability and the understanding and are very good indeed, but the other 80% are not much more than useless!!!
The guy in question though couldn't even see the fault when asked what was wrong with the vehicle!!

Other cock ups I have come across in years past from ex army were, putting brake pads in back to front which wasn't picked by the examiner immediately, but after road test and failing a brake test!

Mounting shocks upside down, wheel nuts with the conical face facing outwards, headlamps mounted upside down(round type not on a modern car), welding a spanner to exhaust manifold and starter motor terminal and not understanding why they must disconnect the battery before renewing a starter motor to name just a few!!

But I have seen fully qualified civvy guys just as bad too!

I was once agency employed at the same place that I'm now staff at, and these guys give agency guys a bad reputation!!

307dan

Last edited by 307dan; 12-04-14 at 09:37 PM.
307dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-14, 09:47 PM   #6

Inexperience of multiple vehicle marques is a major issue, as is very limited experience on anything under 7.5 to 10 Tonne GVW, for ex servicemen/women. And there are a few out there who give the majority a bad name. Not many go back to spanners after leaving, so I guess it is the sloppy ones who come up on the radar more often.

We all make mistakes and sh*t happens, but when you don't learn from them it's a problem. Me, i've had my EML on since I serviced the wifes car! (Lesson - Don't change anything that has wires on it!!) Easy when it it was just spanners, more sensors than nuts and bolts these days. Only changed the oil, air and fuel filter
Old 12-04-14, 09:53 PM   #7
Inactive User

I agree with the sloppy ones comment, but vehicle marques is not an issue in our workshop as it's not a commercial garage or hgv workshop!!!

All our vehicles we work on he would or should already have experience on!!!

307dan
Old 12-04-14, 09:56 PM   #8

Thumbs up

Fair point, well made
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in