Anyone interested in IM? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Would you like IM on this site?
Yes 7 70.00%
No 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-07-11, 01:49 PM   #1
Inactive User

Arrow Anyone interested in IM?

hi folks,

Just sat in my office chair wondering how can i make the world spin more easily on peugeotforums.

and i thought....how about an Instant Messaging platform, in laymans terms a chat room facility.

this would be so we can chat to each other, well who ever is online about anything and everthing, instead of starting a thread etc.

please vote above.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-07-11, 02:06 PM   #2
Inactive User

I think the problem with IM is sometimes it can kill a forum off.
I've seen this previously with gaming forums, you have people chatting on IM and not posting in threads.
I know this isn't a gaming forum so it could work.

Just my opinion.
DGH308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-07-11, 04:14 PM   #3
JazzJPH

There are plus and minus points, it'd be good in a way, but like DGH said, it could kill threads off.

Then people like DavidIreland and betty could get pestered so much on it that it puts them off the forums.

And then if there's someone asking a question and getting something sorted through IM, then it won't be recorded on the forums. This is a bad thing, as there are something like 800 guests online at any one time, who are browsing the forums and looking at people who have problems that they do. They could be following along with the advice. This avenue will not be available if most problems are sorted via IM.

Maybe I should have voted No.. Hmm
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-07-11, 04:44 PM   #4
Inactive User

A shoutbox facility at the top of the forums would be better, I think.

Phil
tiko102 likes this.
philkerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-07-11, 12:08 PM   #5

I put one at the top of my forum, it really cut down on the drivel posted, but I don't think this forum suffers with that too much.

Its really important that its not used to post problems or questions, they really need to be documented so they can be found in a search.

I think if the forum needs anything, perhaps a culling of some of the sections. I often see duplicates in the vehicle specific sections and then also in another car area specific section.

That, and some how-to guides and a summary of certain problems - searhcing for one issue can lead to several answers, but pages and pages of posts about each.

I'd also like this site to be the one to produce a quality guide to using Planet. I'd be happy to work on this.
JazzJPH likes this.

Last edited by Gibbo; 31-07-11 at 12:12 PM.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-07-11, 12:24 PM   #6
JazzJPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I put one at the top of my forum, it really cut down on the drivel posted, but I don't think this forum suffers with that too much.

Its really important that its not used to post problems or questions, they really need to be documented so they can be found in a search.

I think if the forum needs anything, perhaps a culling of some of the sections. I often see duplicates in the vehicle specific sections and then also in another car area specific section.

That, and some how-to guides and a summary of certain problems - searhcing for one issue can lead to several answers, but pages and pages of posts about each.

I'd also like this site to be the one to produce a quality guide to using Planet. I'd be happy to work on this.
I like people like you, who are willing to give up a bit of time to help others. I'd also be happy to help with anything I can.
Gibbo likes this.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-07-11, 02:55 PM   #7

Cheers buddy. I really like the Pug community and I hate the generalisation of how "Peugeot are French so they're crap" so like to do my bit to redress the balance. Personally I think they're fun and fairly easy and cheap to fix, and I think our willingness to share our experiences just makes it look like the cars break down more often!

I was once a Punto owner on a forum and had a problem and found loads of people saying "yeah, I had that too" but a lack of willingness to share the information of a fix. I got the impression they just took their car to garages and didn't really know what had been done. I certainly didn't find replacing the MAF and cleaning the EGR as well documented as on here.

I'm really pleased to find this forum because everyone participates and the number of people who sign up to just ask for help then skulk off into the ether is very low.

And I've probably saved a fortune by buying Planet and doing my own diagnosis, so its only fair to give something back in return.
Old 31-07-11, 03:23 PM   #8
Inactive User

Quote:
I think our willingness to share our experiences just makes it look like the cars break down more often!
I think if you have a car that works well, you are less likely to say anything but if you have a car that's going wrong you are more likely to comment about it, and that's what makes it look bad.
(not you personally Gibbo I mean in general)
Just human nature I guess.
DGH308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-11, 09:59 AM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:

What he said.....
elmafudd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-11, 10:53 AM   #10
Inactive User

so the general consensus is to say have a shoutbox, some sort of small chat app.

we could say if we get a java chat app, if any questions are asked, they wont be answered unless they start a thread. kinda reminds me of a fault reporting desk

also a tidying up of the forum, is in the general vote then? if you can point out what needs to be made and removed ill get onto admin and fingers crossed sorted.

on a further note, i am just waiting to hear back in regards to the "good garage" thing. i have it all ready to go just need admin to get back to me with an email and implement it.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in