Anyone got a Diesel Mondeo? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-11, 05:32 PM   #1
JazzJPH

Default Anyone got a Diesel Mondeo?

Hi all,

Still got the Punto, and whilst there are no bargains for 307s and 407s about I've looked for Focii and there are none, so am now looking at Mondeos. These are the favourite car of Top Gear, and have an average buyer rating of 4.5 on Autotrader. I am under the impression they are cheap because there are so many of them about.

But my main worry is the DMF. Apparently the Mondeo is the most expensive to get the DMF sorted. I was told the 307 was the second cheapest, yet I think I got a cracking deal to get it sorted

So... Does anybody know anything about the Diesel Mondeos with regard to upkeep, and what my options are for keeping the cost down in the case of an expensive failure?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-11, 06:29 PM   #2
CAB

What age mundeo you looking at?

My folks use to have one and the only two problems they had was the whole back axel needed replacing not cheap at all and a common problem but think you can now get replacement bushes other problem was failed mot on emissions with only 80ish km on clock car then replaced after this and is still sat on their drive two years later.
Old 05-07-11, 06:34 PM   #3

Yep - I owned a Mondeo 130 tdci prior to the 307.

As with most cars there are some recurring common faults :

Eleci boot lock refuses to work;
Bonnet lock breaks (very common as the part in question is plastic)

The main issue it turns out (after this happened to my Mondeo) - the turbo seals are prone to failing - pissing oil into the exhaust and bleeding the engine dry of oil. The engine in my Mondeo seized up on the motorway - no warning lights (low oil pressure) - no smoke evident when driving - nowt. The back of the car was covered in an oily film, when Green flag towed me away - worth noting that the mechanic did not have a surprised look on his face when he found out that there was no oil.

Fairly low mileage car 70k - the rear wheel bearings were on the way out.

I thought my Pug was bad - but the Mondeo was even worse - I'll never look twice at one again.

It was too costly to replace the engine - it was scrapped - I paid 4k for it, the new engine was 1k plus fitting.

I've heard this also happens to the Transit vans (same engine). Do you really want to drive round in a car that sounds like a transit van?

My advice - steer well clear. Look closely at a Vauxhall offering is you fancy a change from Pug.

Last edited by clanless; 05-07-11 at 06:37 PM.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-11, 06:41 PM   #4
JazzJPH

Unless it was an Astra I wouldn't, and it would have to be a newer shape.

Guess I'll stay away from the Mondeo then....

I want another pug, but 307's and 407's are the only ones within my price range and there aren't any decent ones about!!
Old 05-07-11, 06:50 PM   #5

Well, the new 1.4 diesel astra get 80 mpg extra urban - I'm seriously looking at one of these to replace my 307 diesel.
clanless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-11, 06:57 PM   #6
Inactive User

as all cars you do get the odd one or two failing...

but as for the DPF ford are reknown for the DPF to cost 1000 at the 75k miles point.

but...if you go for pre-2007 1.8tdci, you will not have a DPF or additive.

if you go for a 1.6tdci, you will definately have one and the 2.0tdci was optional brand new. there are methods of checking.

the main thing ford suffers are, crappy electronics. but as dealership costs go, they are far cheaper, better customer service and in general very quick. in my opinion better than pug dealers.

going from a 307 to a 1.8tdci focus, i will never regret it. i save money on fuel and tax, parts and labour...even servicing it is far easier. i average out at 57mpg but a lad at work gets 67mpg in his mondeo and he bombs it.

they also keep there value better...im still finding same age cars with same mileage and trim etc for the same price i bought mine.

As for the DMF, my car has had 4 owners inc me and the clutch and dmf are still going strong...for the dmf and clutch kit with fitting im looking at 500 to repair.

i just had to have mine in as a turbo pipe split and couldnt for the life of me get the size of the pipe to replace with silicone...no damage to turbo. my aircon rebuilt as i have somehow manage to fuck the condensor and compressor...all in at dealer, with them dropping me off and collecting and delivering the car 460 im not complaining at all.

like i say 307 to focus. best move ever. and the mondeo share the same parts and engine as the focus as well as fiesta and the vans.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-11, 08:22 PM   #7
JazzJPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_h View Post
as all cars you do get the odd one or two failing...

but as for the DPF ford are reknown for the DPF to cost 1000 at the 75k miles point.

but...if you go for pre-2007 1.8tdci, you will not have a DPF or additive.

if you go for a 1.6tdci, you will definately have one and the 2.0tdci was optional brand new. there are methods of checking.

the main thing ford suffers are, crappy electronics. but as dealership costs go, they are far cheaper, better customer service and in general very quick. in my opinion better than pug dealers.

going from a 307 to a 1.8tdci focus, i will never regret it. i save money on fuel and tax, parts and labour...even servicing it is far easier. i average out at 57mpg but a lad at work gets 67mpg in his mondeo and he bombs it.

they also keep there value better...im still finding same age cars with same mileage and trim etc for the same price i bought mine.

As for the DMF, my car has had 4 owners inc me and the clutch and dmf are still going strong...for the dmf and clutch kit with fitting im looking at 500 to repair.

i just had to have mine in as a turbo pipe split and couldnt for the life of me get the size of the pipe to replace with silicone...no damage to turbo. my aircon rebuilt as i have somehow manage to fuck the condensor and compressor...all in at dealer, with them dropping me off and collecting and delivering the car 460 im not complaining at all.

like i say 307 to focus. best move ever. and the mondeo share the same parts and engine as the focus as well as fiesta and the vans.

1.8 focus deffo better than 1.6 like?
Old 05-07-11, 08:28 PM   #8
CAB

Jazz have you looked at auctions I've bought all my cars from here Manheim Remarketing | Welcome for the last twenty years or so most of the family do as well.
Register on the site look at which centre is closest to you and have a look through the catologues.
Old 05-07-11, 10:12 PM   #9

Jazz , Iv got a 2008 1.6TDCI focus estate. 101000 miles but full documented Ford service history including bills for every penny spent , again all at Ford.

Silver , CD , Parking Aid , facelift model 4500
Old 05-07-11, 10:25 PM   #10

My mate Davey , doing what he does best ,

bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in