Adaptive/Fast mobile phone chargers... - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-18, 09:12 AM   #1

Default Adaptive/Fast mobile phone chargers...

We've just had delivered a new 3-piece suite from Sofology and it has USB ports in the power recliner controls '...for charging mobile phones...'.

Trouble is the people at Sofology don't seem to have any information regarding the power output/amperage or control circuitry to prevent damaging your phone/battery.

I decided to plug in my Galaxy A3 (2015) model and it got quite warm and then started losing power at a rate of 1% every 5 minutes, while on stand-by!! Plugging it into the furniture USB had, it would appear, caused a cell to burn out...but at 27 months old I guess the battery may have been getting a bit worn out.

Last week I purchased a new Galaxy A3 2017 as I found one at a good price but I shan't be plugging it into the sofa USB.

That led me to considering getting one of the Samsung Adaptive chargers but that then led me to more questions as they say they charge at 2 amps and the technical chap at Samsung has told me to stick with the 1.55 amp charger that came with the new phone....eh? So why do Samsung offer this adaptive charger? Well, I decided to then call the Samsung store in Leicester and was told it's OK to use the Samsung Adaptive Charger on my new phone.

Now; I've read that the Samsung adaptive charger varies the charge rate and that your phone will only take what it needs, if that's the case then why did my original A3 overheat when plugged into the sofa USB....unless these later phones have better control circuitry....but if that's the case then why did the Samsung 'techie' advise me only to use the supplied 1.55 amp charger on my new A3?

Sofology provide these built-in USB charging points but know nothing about them in the store and there is no paperwork or label with the furniture. I'm still waiting for Sofology to provide the information.

Samsung supply these adaptive chargers for around 26.50 or so whereas Amazon or ebay can supply the same 'genuine' Samsung adaptive chargers for around 6.50 .....eh?....that's 20 cheaper.....or a 'genuine fake Samsung'? See youtube video below...

I also looked on youtube and there are people on there testing the various 'adaptive' chargers saying you can use any version on any phone.

I'm confused....

PS....sorry to go on but I just thought some of you knowledgeable folks may be able to advise me as I don't want to fork out for another phone...!

PPS: Just done another search and found that the A3 2017 does not support fast charging so I guess that's why I was advised to use the supplied charger. Be aware that furniture with in-built USB chargers may not be suitable for your phone!!

UPDATE: I've just found an interesting video on youtube showing the inside of a genuine Samsung charger compared to an ebay 'genuine' Samsung charger. What a load of rubbish the 'genuine' ebay one is. Unbelievable.

If it seems cheap then it probably is!!

Last edited by allan40alt; 03-04-18 at 03:58 PM.
allan40alt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-18, 09:27 PM   #2

Still no information from Sofology so I decided to do a bit more searching and on Play Store I found an app called Charger Checker.

Installed it and it showed the supplied charger was on 4.217V with 1016mA. My phone (Samsung Galaxy A3 2017) was showing the battery at 67% charged.

The Sofology sofa USB charger was then tested and that showed almost identical charging rate.

I kept a check on it as the phone battery got fuller the charge rate gradually dropped lower until at around 98% it was down to 367mA. At 100% the phone performed exactly as it does on the supplied charger with it continuing to trickle charge until telling me the battery was fully charged and it stopped charging so there was no worries about any damage.

I checked the other furniture controls and all gave similar readings so there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with them; it's just a shame that Sofology haven't responded.

On the brighter side I have found a useful little app that checks your charging rate to highlight any problems with a charger or Type C - USB cable you may be using.

Now, if you find you can't get off to sleep then just start reading this thread again and you'll be nodding off in no time......
Old 05-04-18, 06:54 AM   #3

Now that I know it charges my new A3 2017, I now need to see what it draws when the battery power is down to around 25%.

In addition there is another app that I need to install as that will check that the connection lead I've plugged in, especially a third party lead, is suitable for my phone.

It seems these phones with a Type C USB can be a bit more selective than previous models........

Last edited by allan40alt; 05-04-18 at 08:24 AM.
allan40alt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-18, 10:59 AM   #4

Just before I started checking things with my new phone I sent for some micro-USB to type C adapters. I ordered from ebay!!

I've since found out that the cheapo type of these can reduce the charging and transfer rate; so what better time to test them...

I used my 1.0 amp Samsung charger and with the original Samsung Type-C lead (supplied with the new phone) plugged into the charger USB outlet the charge rate registered 1021mA...perfect.

I then swapped to the Samsung micro-USB lead that came with the charger and plugged in the little ebay adapter. The charge rate dropped to 643mA ... that's about 37% less.

Point proved I think.....these ebay adapters have now transferred from the envelope to the bin and Samsung original adapters have been ordered!!!

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in