307cc Cycle Rack - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-06-14, 04:01 PM   #1

Default 307cc Cycle Rack

Afternoon everyone hope everyone is doing great like the weather.
I hope someone can point me in the right direction, firstly my name is Lee and I own a 2005 307cc (in blue if anyone is interested) anyway can you get a 2 bike cycle rack to fit onto my car (no towbar fitted) if anyone has,or knows if you can then any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and fingers crossed someone can help. cheers
Lee307cc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-14, 06:53 PM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee307cc View Post
Afternoon everyone hope everyone is doing great like the weather.
I hope someone can point me in the right direction, firstly my name is Lee and I own a 2005 307cc (in blue if anyone is interested) anyway can you get a 2 bike cycle rack to fit onto my car (no towbar fitted) if anyone has,or knows if you can then any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading and fingers crossed someone can help. cheers
Hi Lee,

Halfords used to do (haven't checked recently - in fact I threw mine down the tip about 3 weeks ago when I sold my house ...) a rack that hangs on the tailgate gutter and has a couple of foam padded support bars (that sit against the rear screen and lower tailgate). There are then 2 webbing straps that hook onto the rear towing hook and you get tension by setting the webbing strap tensioning clips.

We used to carry 3 x 15 Kg Mountain Bikes with no problem and minimal work to mount and demount the rack itself. I think the rack was about 60.

Thule have a good range of bike carriers - if you're not travelling on ferries etc (where the extra height bumps the fare up hugely), a pair of roof bars and locking bike bars are a great option - the bikes sit perfectly at up to 75mph! The roof bars plus 2 lockable bike carriers will set you back 200-300 but will last you forever (I bought mine in August 2001 and they're still perfect, despite my swapping brackets to and fro so that I can sit them on the roofbars or on the (different dimensioned) bars on my trailer.

Hope this helps.

Update 040714

Halfords have the original tailgate rack in stock - it's either 65 or 69 (didn't have a pen with me and my memory's not as good as I seem to remember it was ...). The roof bars were not in stock but the feet and fitting kit were about 110 so the complete package should come in at a tad short of 200 - other roof bars were about 75.

Last edited by marchie1053; 04-07-14 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Updated Information
marchie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-14, 09:31 PM   #3

Hi thanks for your reply you seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to help, but i think you missed that i own the convertible 307 not the hatchback version. Thanks again anyway
Lee307cc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 13-07-14, 06:40 PM   #4
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee307cc View Post
Hi thanks for your reply you seem to have gone to a lot of trouble to help, but i think you missed that i own the convertible 307 not the hatchback version. Thanks again anyway
Hi Lee

Just catching up with the Forum.

The Halfords 69 bike rack may work on a convertible - the top straps will sit on the boot lid (at the base of the rear window) and the bottom straps will fit into the rear towing hook. Worth checking with Halfords for a definite answer, though.

If that's no good, a towbar (the socket will be good for the lighting board and number plate so that Plod leaves you alone) might be the best option. You can get a Thule platform that fits over the towbar and enables 2 bikes to sit on the platform, parallel to the boot.

There's also another (cheaper) option whose name escapes me - basically, it's a heavy (towbar thickness) bar that pins through the towbar plate and stands upright (about 1 metre tall). The upright then has a short horizontal bar that fits on top of the upright and enables 3 bikes to be "hung" from the cross piece. Each bike is secured by its own webbing strapping and there is enough space between them to ensure that pedals and handlebars don't scrape the paint off the bike or your car boot! The upright bar is held in place by a high tension steel pin that you can withdraw (whilst the bikes are loaded) to tilt the bar about 20 degrees or so to enable you to gain access to the car boot.

I used the last option about 6-7 years ago and it worked quite well. I'll probably have a poke around and see if I can find the name/spec/price etc.

UPDATE: It's the Maxx Raxx Premier - see http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-rack-ec017527 on the Evans Cycles website for full details and a picture that could have saved a lot of typing!

Last edited by marchie1053; 13-07-14 at 06:43 PM.
marchie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in