1.6 hdi 110 engine..Reliable or avoid ? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > General > Off-topic
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-03-15, 10:06 PM   #1

Default 1.6 hdi 110 engine..Reliable or avoid ?

I dont normally buy diesel cars over 90k but have chance of 307 sw 2006 reg with above engine for just under 1300 total from auction. It has 108k miles and is in very nice bodily condition. It does have EML /depo fault dash message but that apart seems really decent. Does anyone know how reliable this engine is or is it one to avoid with this mileage ? Its been a main dealer trade in not private entry. I need to decide before Monday so any advice very welcome
GR8GUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-03-15, 10:56 PM   #2

Good engines if serviced more regularly than manufacturers recommendation and with the correct grade of low ash oil. I change mine every 6K with Total Quartz Ineo 5w/30 which amounts to 12 months for me. Never had a problem. EML light could be anything at all but it needs to be plugged into diagnostics. Many members on here have the kit (see the map). Looks a good buy if it has some service history eg. timing belt etc
Old 13-03-15, 11:14 PM   #3

I am tempted although this one has no service history unfortunately. The depoltion message doesnt put me off as I also have the diag kit. It would have been good if got chance to plug it in first but not allowed to. Its more the high mileage that concerns me especially with no service record.

Old 14-03-15, 09:10 AM   #4
Ginger Magic

108K miles is nothing for a modern diesel

As suggested, these engines need more oil changes to prevent the sludging that 'neglected' engines can suffer, which I believe is a pig to sort out.

With no service history its hard to know if this engine has had the proper oil - or timing gear change, but what I would be concerned about is not being allowed to use diagnostics on it..?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-03-15, 09:37 AM   #5

Yes would have been good to hook it up. I but dont think car auction guys are deliberately hiding anything its just standard policy.
Does this engine have a dpf and eloys additive tank same as my 2ltr hdi 110 ?
Old 14-03-15, 10:11 AM   #6

If it has an antipollution fault then you can bet that's WHY its there the dealers know it can cost a lot to sort.

This engine CAN be a moneypit mileage is actually good for it though I would be more wary of a 60k mile 1 as this causes the sludging issues.

yes they do have a dpf.
Old 17-03-15, 07:52 PM   #7

Oh dear it looks like I may have asked wrong question should maybe have asked about the electrics.
The 1.6hdi engine may well be reliable if only I could get it to start
I bought the car today drove it from inside auction grounds into auction car park.It seemed fine for that 200 yards clutch gears brakes so was feeling optimistic. I parked ,topped up water checked oil etc to make sure all was well before heading off.
When I went to turn the key all that happens the lights dash lights flicker rapidly accompanied by a bleep from dash.
Im hoping its a just a problem with remote batteries as both keys generated low remote battery message on dash. I tried disconnecting car battery itself to see if resetting would help but got same result when reconnected.
Would low remote battery have this effect ? The only other thing I noticed was driver door doesnt unlock via central locking.All other do except that one. It locks it fine but cant get back in
I will replace RC batteries and take my laptop tomorrow and see what PP says. Im fine with global test part of pp but how do I test the electric side of things on PP and what results am I looking for ?

Ill probably have to move this to another part of forum if not resolved tomorrow. Might be the only thing that is moving
Old 17-03-15, 09:34 PM   #8

sounds like a flat or duff battery, auction may have jump started the car
Old 17-03-15, 10:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy1603 View Post
sounds like a flat or duff battery, auction may have jump started the car
I agree with that. I had a duff battery on my 206 some years ago which generated the same clicking sound when the key was turned....A new battery solved the problem. I suggest a jump start first though just to confirm...
Barrowman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-03-15, 10:31 PM   #10

yep duff battery will cause those symptoms might be fine after a good run though

If jump starting let the boosting car run for at least 5 mins after connecting jump leads
BEFORE trying to start it DO NOT just connect and start straight away this is what causes the BSI issues you read about.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in