Clutch got very soft after hard use? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Maintenance
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-01-15, 07:05 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Clutch got very soft after hard use?

Hi,

recently I had to go in reverse up a very steep road for about 30 seconds. While doing so I had the clutch pedal pressed half way in and the gas pedal as well.

That pushed the clutch very hard and by the way I reached the top there was also quite a smell in the car.

When I tried to change gear in first I noticed that the clutch was very soft, much softer then it used to be. After about 2 minutes luckily the clutch returned to normal.

So my question is if this is normal behavior for a clutch, do clutches get that soft after hard use and heating up?

By the way, I drive a Peugeot 407 1.6 hdi 2008

Thanks
adoion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-01-15, 07:10 AM   #2

Sounds normal for me, just the clutch burning a little.
Old 28-01-15, 07:12 AM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Sounds normal for me, just the clutch burning a little.
Thanks, but is it normal for it to get that soft?

Old 28-01-15, 08:19 AM   #4

Slipping the clutch in the manner you described, - a very bad practice, why did you do it?, - will have generated a lot of heat. This could have softened the diaphragm spring in the clutch or affected the clutch lining in some way.
It seems you got away with it this time, but avoid slipping the clutch, it will shorten its life, and extreme cases can crack the flywheel.

Roger.
Old 28-01-15, 08:29 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyroger View Post
Slipping the clutch in the manner you described, - a very bad practice, why did you do it?, - will have generated a lot of heat. This could have softened the diaphragm spring in the clutch or affected the clutch lining in some way.
It seems you got away with it this time, but avoid slipping the clutch, it will shorten its life, and extreme cases can crack the flywheel.

Roger.
I had to do it, how else do you go in reverse up a steep hill with moderate speed without the car going off on you and without going with full power up the hill. But ill avoid going in reverse on steep hills I guess .

What im mostly interested in is if a diaphragm could get soft and id prefer confirmed statements not just could be and should be...
isn't the diaphragm designed for situations like this ?
Old 28-01-15, 08:36 AM   #6

The slipping made the lining heat up this would cause the pedal to go soft until it cooled down but as said slipping is bad try to avoid it or you will need a new clutch much quicker than you want to
Old 28-01-15, 08:39 AM   #7
Inactive User

All right thanks a lot guys, the thing is that I just got a new clutch installed 2 months ago and its still under warranty so I wanted to make sure its not a bad clutch or anything ....
Old 28-01-15, 08:44 AM   #8

Well, I wasn't there, so I can't criticize how you went up any hill. Although I will say try to avoid slipping the clutch if you can. In your particular circumstances maybe you couldn't.
The clutch isn't designed for continuous slipping, it is designed to transfer power from the engine to the gearbox smoothly and without shock loads.
I was conjecturing in my earlier post, anything between the clutch plate and your left leg might give you your symptoms. It wasn't meant to be a definitive answer.

Roger.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in