407 issues - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Maintenance
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By philkerman
  • 1 Post By philkerman
  • 1 Post By Gibbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-08-11, 08:09 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default 407 issues

hello one and all. this is my first time here and i would be gratefull for all possative feedback. my car is a 407 1.6hdi sw estate 2005 i have just bought this car it has 78k on the clock, i bought it from a dealer, so i had a few jobs done before i took ownership, new cam belt, full sevice etc. i have noticed some really black oil just under the turbo, also now and again you can here a puffing sound comming from under the plastic cover on top of the engine, the list goes on, the ESP warning light has come on then gone off and no fault showing on the display, also the fan sometimes runs on after switching off the engine upto 15 mins sometimes, even after a short jorney. also i had a flat battery for no reason, and finnaly ,for now i can smell burnt fuel in the cabin and a diesely smell outside when i park it up. i thank you in advance if you help me with these issues. PS i have a warranty if nits needed
derek8084 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27-08-11, 11:34 AM   #2
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8084 View Post
hello one and all. this is my first time here and i would be gratefull for all possative feedback. my car is a 407 1.6hdi sw estate 2005 i have just bought this car it has 78k on the clock, i bought it from a dealer, so i had a few jobs done before i took ownership, new cam belt, full sevice etc. i have noticed some really black oil just under the turbo, also now and again you can here a puffing sound comming from under the plastic cover on top of the engine, the list goes on, the ESP warning light has come on then gone off and no fault showing on the display, also the fan sometimes runs on after switching off the engine upto 15 mins sometimes, even after a short jorney. also i had a flat battery for no reason, and finnaly ,for now i can smell burnt fuel in the cabin and a diesely smell outside when i park it up. i thank you in advance if you help me with these issues. PS i have a warranty if nits needed
The puffing sound is your injector seals allowing exhaust gasses pass through, that's also why you can smell unburnt diesel and stuff. Get it sorted ASAP, as the longer it's left the more the mixture of carbon and diesel turns to a solid mass of crud, and makes the whole experience much, much worse. They're a fairly common problem until the modified seals are fitted.

The fan run on is also a common problem and can be sorted out by a software update from Peugeot, it's usually a result of failing to complete the regeneration process.

Finally the ABS wheel sensors can be slightly temperamental which is a sign on or more of them is giving up, however, it would depend on the circumstance because say for example your accelerating and you go over a bump the ESP comes on making it seem like a fault, but it's not.

Phil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
philkerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-08-11, 12:03 PM   #3
Inactive User

Phil think really could do with data being read on planet injector seals can go if dpf blocked up causing back pressure.

Old 27-08-11, 12:04 PM   #4

Also get them to check condition of Particle Filter and how much Eloys fluid is left in the reservoir , your mileage would indicate this will need attention shortly.
bettyswollocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-08-11, 01:53 PM   #5
Inactive User

hi, phil thanks for the info will use it to tackle garage on tuesday, i have also noticed under the plastic cover where the injectors are a load of what can only be described as black tar like stuff , a bit like mastic that is shiney in places, have you any ideas what this is, thanks again for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkerman View Post
The puffing sound is your injector seals allowing exhaust gasses pass through, that's also why you can smell unburnt diesel and stuff. Get it sorted ASAP, as the longer it's left the more the mixture of carbon and diesel turns to a solid mass of crud, and makes the whole experience much, much worse. They're a fairly common problem until the modified seals are fitted.

The fan run on is also a common problem and can be sorted out by a software update from Peugeot, it's usually a result of failing to complete the regeneration process.

Finally the ABS wheel sensors can be slightly temperamental which is a sign on or more of them is giving up, however, it would depend on the circumstance because say for example your accelerating and you go over a bump the ESP comes on making it seem like a fault, but it's not.

Phil
derek8084 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-08-11, 05:47 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8084 View Post
hi, phil thanks for the info will use it to tackle garage on tuesday, i have also noticed under the plastic cover where the injectors are a load of what can only be described as black tar like stuff , a bit like mastic that is shiney in places, have you any ideas what this is, thanks again for your help
That's the carbon/diesel mix I'm talking about, eventually it goes totally solid, and if your unfortunate like me, the injector doesn't come out and takes the sleeve from the head instead. Sounds like it's been chuffing for a while if you have a significant build up.

I'd encourage minimal use until you can get it in to be sorted out, as the job to replace the seal (I doubt they'd do them all, even though really they should) is straight forward.

Phil
derek8084 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
philkerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 28-08-11, 03:28 PM   #7

If your ESP alarm came up and went off it will have been recorded in the ECU and Planet will tell you where the problem is.
derek8084 likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in