Peugeot Forums banner

Oh go on then... :D

924 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  xxxxxxxxxxxxxmiked82 
#1 ·
Hi chaps ;)

Well i resisted, however thought i out to put a few words here before Sweaty or David tell me off...

So - How did i make it here? Thanks Google!

I have, for the last 5 years, been driving a W plate Mk1 Focus estate. Nothing special other than the fact that the back was like a tardis and i seemed to be able to fit virtually everything and anything in there - the number of people who used to say "there is NO way thats fitting in there"... and i proved them wrong...

Anyhow, It cost me £700 5 years ago, and has been playing up over the last few weeks - the gearbox has been crunching between 2nd and 3rd for over a year now.... so something was definitely up..

So last week it was getting REALLY rattly and sick, so popped it in the local (trusted) indy garage expecting a swinging arm issue, or maybe bushes....

nope....

Gearbox Diff falling apart, meaning that the drive shaft was literally flopping about in there.

So - Dilemma - 14 year old focus... Shagged gearbox.. Garage say "uneconomical to repair" (Understandably!) So - Ebay for another? then have to fit it (Living in a house with a heavilly sloped drive kinda rules that out!)... so the expense of getting someone to... 14 year old focus.. yeh no real point!

So - Started to look about for something with the meagre funds I had. Only experience I had of Peugeots was 8-10 years ago when I had a peugeot expert as a work van, and i have to be honest and say it was crap and had all sorts of problems. But I looked at the 407SW estate and liked it - Autotrader, Ebay, Gumtree all got a hammering for 24 hours... (had to be done quickly since I'm rammed with work/kids commitments.....) Looked at a couple in Luton on the way back from London last week, however these were 150K+ Miles, on a "dealer" located on wastelend, and whilst it confirmed that it was the car for me, these most certainly werent the ones for me!

However then stumbled across one Just outside oxford in a Dealer - Reasonable price (just outside my price range!) - however has had most of the common problems recently sorted - Clutch/Flywheel/Timing belt/one side of the front suspension all done in the last 3-4 months, and all with 131k on the clock (407sw 2.0Hdi 136 with cruise). only fault i could see was a DPL fluid level low alert, however both the fluid and the Cap were replaced in December... but the alert still remained. The price was so good tho (57 plate) and managed to knock down to a price in budget!!.

And the rest is history!!! Loving the 407 now!!

Paul

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
welcome,stumbled across google to here myself lol and too have just got rid of a 13yr old focus mk1 :D 1.8 16v 5 door was our daily drive,but 1 thing that it didnt do was let us down. it was reliable and sailed thru past last 2 mot's. had it 3 years.

we decided to sell on to get somethin more economical due to travellin/relocating to work every day now.Up to now have 2 problems with my 307, airbag fault,horn dont work and a dodgy fiuel gauge lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.