NEW CLutch shudder on Expert 04 - 07!!!! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Expert
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-15, 07:23 AM   #1
Inactive User

Unhappy NEW CLutch shudder on Expert 04 - 07!!!!

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone could put my mind at rest.

I had my clutch changed on Friday 8th May by Mr Clutch. I've had the vehicle since Feb last year, I've done best part of 40k on this clutch and noticed it started to overheat and slip, so decided to get it changed. When I got it back from Mr Clutch, I noticed it shudders/judders in 1st or reverse when lifting the pedal to engage the gear and move. Took it back Saturday afternoon and the 'Fitter' test drove it and said it is fine, the manager then said that you have to let these things 'bed in' ?!?!?!?!

Now I'm no qualified mechanic by a long shot, (but I can do most mechanics, just never a gearbox or clutch) but I have driven a fair few miles in the past 20 years of driving, in different vehicles with different types of clutch and only experienced the shudder/judder when the clutch is on its way out and needs replacing.

The question I'm after an answer to is, 'Should my new clutch shudder/judder and need bedding in?' as they say?? I have never experienced this before on a new clutch. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
kerlac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-15, 07:39 AM   #2

Sometimes they do judder a little but you don't tell us much info there are various clutches can be fitted to a 04-07 expert as it can have more than 1 engine !

check the bellhousing bolts are tight these being a bit loose can cause judder
Old 11-05-15, 07:53 AM   #3
Inactive User

Sorry forgot to mention it's a 2.0hdi with 175k on clock

Old 11-05-15, 08:17 AM   #4

Still a choice of 2

8 valve and 16 valve but the clutch system is basically the same its a pull type clutch problem is with the pull clutch if you have a judder then the bearing can sometimes get pulled back out the cover I recommend you go back and tell them it was not like that before and it has not bedded in.

Does it have a dual mass flywheel and if so was this changed or just a clutch
Old 11-05-15, 08:47 AM   #5
Inactive User

I believe it to be the 16v.
not sure if it has a dmf, surely they would've told me what type it was when i first booked it in?
So as far as i know, if it does have 1 then don't think so no, but according to a mechanic i spoke with on saturday afternoon, he said for the price i paid if it was a dmf then it would've been changed at same time.
Old 11-05-15, 09:20 AM   #6
Inactive User

did they check the clutch fork for uneven wear.we always replace them as the clutch will not come back even.
colinrtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-15, 09:31 AM   #7
Inactive User

Not that i know of no, they didn't mention it. They did replace gearbox oil coz i asjed them to do that and replaced a driveshaft seal coz apparently it was split and leaking, even tho driveshafts are only about 2 months old!! I did ask them to look at gear stick cables as i seem to quite a floppy gear stick even when in gear.
Their print out said:
Shift cables worn
Gear linkage on gearbox worn
Offside middle cv gaiter split
Old 11-05-15, 09:46 AM   #8

Do a few 'hard' pull aways and see if it cleans it up, could just be an uneven surface on the flywheel as you did say your old clutch was slipping an over heating.
HDI-Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-05-15, 07:14 PM   #9
Inactive User

Would you expect a new vehicle to have clutch judder? A new clutch should not judder.
heraldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-05-15, 07:52 PM   #10

I would have thought any 'bedding in' would have taken place long before 40k miles unless you've never had to change gear I've never heard anything good about Mr Clutch. I've read many complaints about being charged premiom parts prices for budget clutch kits. It's possible they fitted a budget clutch which could well be on it's last legs.

Think I'd be getting a second opinion. Mr Clutch won't want to admit that it's on it's way out if it would mean they have to replace it for free.
mickiete likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in