Leisure battery and the "economy mode" - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Expert
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-02-17, 02:36 PM   #1

Default Leisure battery and the "economy mode"

I would dearly like to fit a second battery and be able to run some of the main functions off it when the car is stationary with ignition off (or even on perhaps)
My car is the 2009 Expert Tepee.
It goes into economy mode fairly quickly even just playing the stereo and cuts off the electric supply.
It is set up as a sort of day van, or rather a night van, with a bed etc so its fairly fundamental to have this sorted.
Is this difficult, I have thought about going to a camper converter to get it done but it wouldn't be too hard for me to do myself as long as I am not rewriting software or something, computer seems to be in control...
Rollercoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22-02-17, 03:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollercoast View Post
I would dearly like to fit a second battery and be able to run some of the main functions off it when the car is stationary with ignition off (or even on perhaps)
My car is the 2009 Expert Tepee.
It goes into economy mode fairly quickly even just playing the stereo and cuts off the electric supply.
It is set up as a sort of day van, or rather a night van, with a bed etc so its fairly fundamental to have this sorted.
Is this difficult, I have thought about going to a camper converter to get it done but it wouldn't be too hard for me to do myself as long as I am not rewriting software or something, computer seems to be in control...
what is it you are wanting to use from said battery
Old 22-02-17, 05:28 PM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
what is it you are wanting to use from said battery
I sense someone is stealth camping. Not sure how safe it is but cant you connect to the cig socket? or use a Battery Booster Jump Starter.

Seen people put solar panels on the rood of their vans and tinted windows.

Why can you not keep ot seprate and have some kind of inverter? Sure there is tons of info on this on youtuibe.

Last edited by PeugoetD; 22-02-17 at 05:31 PM.
PeugoetD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-02-17, 10:51 PM   #4

The van is not a stealth camper its a factory Peugeot conversion,
but sadly only with the one battery and not really thought through.
Its a half hearted attempt at a camper.
There is a bed that converts the rear into a bedroom, folds out of the rear seat.

I would like another battery and be able to use it instead of attempting to use the main battery for obvious reasons, not least the computer controller won't let me.

I would guess it would be mainly plugging technical equipment into the cigarette lighters, phones, laptop, head torch charger, portable compressor fridge, nothing too heavy.

Intend to fit a gas heater asap and this needs power for the fan.

Also I tow a caravan and so ideally this would be able to charge off the split charge via the leisure battery.

Another good feature would be a good connector for plugging in jump leads to the leisure battery keeping any potential problems away from the vehicle electrics.
Old 23-02-17, 10:55 PM   #5

Oh and yes to be clear I would like to be able to run the main electrical system, the radio, satnav, video player, interior lights, whatever from the new battery too when stationary if that was possible.
Old 24-02-17, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollercoast View Post
Oh and yes to be clear I would like to be able to run the main electrical system, the radio, satnav, video player, interior lights, whatever from the new battery too when stationary if that was possible.
The first lot of stuff and a second battery with split charge is easy but you won't be able to make all the other vehicle stuff run off a second battery without a lot of work
Old 24-02-17, 03:48 PM   #7

You would be best off fitting a battery / mains installation with all the necessary inverters & circuit breakers in place. That way you could use the mains hookup if available which would charge the leisure battery. The kit would also allow charging via the alternator when the engine is running. Fitting a second car stereo in the rear would be preferable to trying to get past the BSI shutting down the dash radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-02-17, 04:03 PM   #8

I agree with storeman by far the easiest way is to run everything extra you want of a second battery with a split charge system that way you wont need to worry about economy mode.
Old 24-02-17, 07:26 PM   #9

Interestingly there is a factory installed mains input, I havent tried it yet, so that would be the next thing to try.

What would they power by mains if not the interior lights at least? Maybe nothing tho, maybe just the socket inside the van to plug your mains appliance in, electric toothbrush charger or whatever...

I'll have to change something as its a French mains input similar to a kettle lead with european domestic socket inside. I noticed the earth leakage trip behind the rear light panel.

Yes right hand drive, British car with foreign domestic electrics! I dont think they actively sold them here, just sent them for dealers to test the market.

As of now it is all original as it came form Peugeot, but it is crying out for a leisure battery, otherwise as you can imagine, the car powers down quite quickly.
Old 24-02-17, 07:46 PM   #10
Inactive User

Are you sure its factory fitted mains? I dont see it on the manual
https://www.autoeurope.com/peugeot-f...nts/expert.pdf

Converted Ambulance maybe? They would do a special there for the equipment
PeugoetD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in