FAO reliable406 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Expert
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-17, 07:15 PM   #1

Default FAO reliable406

Hi

I have read an old post of your regarding converting SMF vans to DMF. I have a 12 reg dispatch and the clutch judders when I pull off or reverse so I am assuming it?s due to the fact it had a SMF, it?s also slippping when accelerating at roughly 2000 revs. Do you still recommend fitting a DMF over the SMF, I like the idea of getting rid of the clutch judder and am hoping the DMF will solve this

Thanks

Lee
Sierragls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-17, 08:01 PM   #2

I recommend calling it a solid flywheel

Single mass flywheel is a stupid piece of marketing bollox its just a standard flywheel or solid flywheel !

Think you may be a bit mixed up though older vans had dual mass as standard later vans say 2012 on when euro 5 came in were solid.

As for what is best its down to preference really i like dual mass flywheels when they work as they make everything smoother solid is fine but a bit harsher in our experience neither is better both work and both wear out just as quick.

Dual mass flywheels tend to fail before the clutches do though.
Old 11-11-17, 12:57 AM   #3

If a clutch shudders, it is not normally the flywheel that causes it, rather some pressure plate clamping springs lose tensile strength and do not feed the clamping effort onto the clutch plate evenly, causing juddering.
In a solid flywheel, this juddering transfers directly to the drive train as there is no cushioning, so you feel it.
With a dual mass flywheel, this uneven uptake is partially or completely damped by the dual mass system. However, the juddering is still present and will wear out the dual mass flywheel faster, so really is only masking the problem, and when it does finally fail, will normally cost you a flywheel and clutch.
WillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-17, 06:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply?s. my van is a 2012 Euro 5 and definitely has a solid fly wheel, that?s why I thought the judder might be caused by that.
Old 11-11-17, 06:23 AM   #5

The other thing is the couch is really quite heavy is this normal on these vans?
Old 11-11-17, 08:46 AM   #6

Clutch getting heavy can be a sign its getting old the heat seems to alter the springiness of the clutch cover over time making it stiff also these later clutches have a self adjusting system on them and that can also affect pedal feel as they wear.

As will says judder is caused by the clutch possible worn possibly contaminated with something so replacing the clutch should cure both issues the flywheel will be fine unless the clutch is worn to the point of damaging it
Old 13-11-17, 02:03 PM   #7

Plan on fitting a complete new clutch in the near future. You are describing the classic symptoms of a worn clutch. Make sure you get a reputable brand, LUK and Valeo are well regarded here.

Roger.
Old 13-11-17, 10:21 PM   #8

Stay away from National, they're crap
E7 58reg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-17, 11:34 AM   #9

Default clutch judder

The judder can be assumed to be clutch but could also be engine mounts that are damaged/oil soaked and not doing there job.
derekg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-17, 11:42 AM   #10

Iíve had the clutch replaced now and the judder has gone. It drives some much better. Thanks for all your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in