Expert, 20mpg! black smoke, fault codes, cooler oil - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Expert
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-16, 07:08 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Expert, 20mpg! black smoke, fault codes, cooler oil

Hi Guys,
Help, Please.
Ok I got a 2.0 2008 Expert.
On accelerating I get a good bit of black smoke. If I very very tentatively accelerate ican see it in my mirror not as black but just dark than the road.

Ok I notice my mpg is 20 !! I drive like a Vicar going to a funeral, van is empty, new air filter fitted.

When switching the engine off the engine shakes forward and back, It doesn't run on. The rear engine mount is knackered.

I notice the intercooler is plastered with oil ( outside). This may be a red herring and due to a leak on the engine somewhere. Inside the intercooler it's oily but I don't think it's excessive.

I have now changed the intercooler and pipes for a dry, clean one.

Plugged into Planet I get

P0113 Intake air temperature signal, Air flow sensor, status intermittent.
signal too high, min air flow

P0102 Flowmeter signal short circuit or value to high

So I changed the Maf sensor for one from the other car (may not be good)
and I get the same code but also the anti pollution warning comes up on dash. So I change it back and it goes.

I then changed the the sensor and big butterfly valve bit that fits between the intercooler and inlet manifold. Same codes are present.

I then blanked off the egr, that didn't go well and it wouldn't run at all so changed back to the original one.

It's all done my head in now and im just spinning with thoughts and getting nowhere. Any help, pointers on what the fault codes are about would be great please.

Just a few things i noticed on planet on tickover

Accelerator position 49% ( this is at tick over with foot off)
Turbo Electro Valve 0%
Fuel flow regulator opening 0%
Crank sync NO

Thanks Guys, hope you can shed some light ideas, please.
Poojoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-16, 06:19 PM   #2
Inactive User

Sounds like a knackered turbo or al least the seals are, have you had it tested?
Steo M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-16, 06:38 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thanks Dude,
I haven't checked it. I have planet but not sure how to use it fully yet.
I have a spare Turbo on the other van so could swap them Ill have to read on it a bit more I've heard there is a filter for the turbo needs changing at the same time.

Talking of turbos, I noticed when looking at mine there is a small amount of black soot at the side where the actuator arm jobber is and I'm thinking this might not be a good sign ?

Also today I noticed that with the engine running there were lots of air bubbles in the return fuel line. is this normal?

Got the whole day to work on it tomorrow so I'm trawling the old posts on black smoke etc for any ideas. thanks guys.

Old 09-09-16, 07:28 PM   #4
Inactive User

Have a look on FiatForum.com for some answers, the Scudo is the same van. Scroll down to the end where the Scudo section is, I can't post the proper link for the website as I'm new here.
Post your question on it as there's some really clever guys on that who know their stuff & these vans inside out.
I'm a hobbyist mechanic & know a bit about these vans as I've had an Expert, Dispatch & Scudo, Having said that, I don't want to give you duff information wasting your time & money.
Regards Stephen.
Steo M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-16, 07:53 PM   #5

Cam and crank sync is NO are you sure of that if thats the case that would explain everything as the timing is out !!

Stop randomly swapping parts it wont help

Check timing using pins to be sure
Old 09-09-16, 08:12 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steo M View Post
Have a look on FiatForum.com for some answers, the Scudo is the same van. Scroll down to the end where the Scudo section is, I can't post the proper link for the website as I'm new here.
Post your question on it as there's some really clever guys on that who know their stuff & these vans inside out.
I'm a hobbyist mechanic & know a bit about these vans as I've had an Expert, Dispatch & Scudo, Having said that, I don't want to give you duff information wasting your time & money.
Regards Stephen.
Hi Stephen,
Great idea, thanks for that. I'll have a nose on the Scudo section. Thats Brilliant. Thank you.
Old 09-09-16, 08:19 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Cam and crank sync is NO are you sure of that if thats the case that would explain everything as the timing is out !!

Stop randomly swapping parts it wont help

Check timing using pins to be sure
Hi Reliable,
Ok Thank you. I thought that didn't sound right. Ill check it again but it did say than on both Planet and creader.

If I get it again ill look up about the pins. I'm hoping that means you align the cam crank and inj pump pulleys with a pin in each so there is no getting it wrong. If it's out ill change the belt and pensioners. I have read some modern cars have a water pump in there too so Ill check for that.. Thank you.

Guys I'll prioritise the air in the transparent pipe to the ip as I been reading about that not being good and effecting the fuel economy. Then ill get on the crank jobber. Thanks Guys.
Old 09-09-16, 08:27 PM   #8

Forget about everything to do with airflow, turbo seals, butterfly valves, transparent pipes etc.

As Reliable406 said, if the cam/crank synchronisation is out, then that's your problem. Invest your time and effort in getting that investigated/fixed before anything else.

Check the condition of the cam/crank sensors too.
Poojoe likes this.
jimmymarsbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-16, 08:29 PM   #9

Ignore the bubbles its normal unless its full of bubbles and turning to froth but if it was it would be hard to start its not your main issue.

You have a cam driven fuel pump its only the cam and crank that you pin.

Its not a case of if you get it again if timing signals are not right it will not run properly ! those readings are live readings not codes that is what the ECU is actually seeing might not be belt it could be a bad signal from cam sensor or wiring to it but i would be checking that before anything else.
Poojoe likes this.
Old 09-09-16, 10:29 PM   #10
Inactive User

Ok Thanks Guys. I just checked it again with the diagnostic stuff and it said syncro NO.
So tomorrow Ill take the sensor off the other car and try that on see what happens.
It runs a tiny bit bumpy on tick over but driving it goes really well and fast even good uphill with a load but loads of black smoke then and the mpg is terrible.
Ill get on it in the morning and report back. Big thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in