Expert (2006) Fuel Pump Always Running - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Expert
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-13, 06:27 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Expert (2006) Fuel Pump Always Running

Good evening all

Having a bit of a weird problem with my Peugeot Expert (2006) vehicle.

The engine went on it just before Christmas and had a recon engine fitted recently, vehicle runs absolutely perfect, if honest the bext it has in a long time.

However, since the engine change, the fuel pump is always running even when engine turned off and vehicle not running. You can hear fuel running around the fuel filter etc.

It had a new fuel pump fitted around 6 months ago when the old unit gave up the ghost and this problem seems to have only arrived since the engine change.

I have changed the fuel pump relay incase this was stuck on but the new unit made no difference, the fuel pump does turn off if I remove this or if I disconnect the battery.

The problem is with the fuel pump always active, the battery is totally flat by the morning.

Is there any ideas where I should be looking as feel that probably a wire trapped or been connected wrong on engine change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Stinkyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 20-01-13, 06:35 PM   #2

If you have access to diagnostic equipment (or someone on Planet Map). The first check i would do is to check fuel temp in live data. Im sure most HDI's have a fuel/HP pump cool feature which keeps the fuel pump running to cool fuel/pump if fuel temp is to high at switch off.
Old 20-01-13, 06:49 PM   #3
Inactive User

Thank you for your reply matey.

I have PP2000 but me laptop not running right so cant test that.

The pump will run till the battery goes flat and once charge put back to battery its back on again.

The problem wasn't there until the engine was replaced making me think that its something during this installation at garage (it was done 80 miles away so not easy to return).

Thank you for your help

Old 20-02-13, 04:16 PM   #4
Inactive User

Good afternoon all, is there any ideas where I could look for this problem as it still haunting me?

Also, the ecu has three plug adapters, the middle one had a white ignition wire come loose a few years ago and a auto electrician did a work round on it.

As said above, problem only seem to have started when new engine was fitted with pump not going off when ignition off.

Could anybody advise me where the original place is for the white ignition wire on the middle ecu plug if possible?
Thank you
Old 20-02-13, 04:24 PM   #5
Inactive User

Heres a photo of the work round auto electrician did a few years ago when the white wire left the middle ecu adapter plug.

Im wondering if I could relocate this back to its original place in the ecu if this could sort the problem with the pump running, although this wiring was like this before with the old engine, I guess its worth a try if can find out where it used to belong.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
2012-06-16-15.01.11.jpg  
Old 20-02-13, 04:52 PM   #6

Hi from my understanding of these the fuel pump is fed from the brown relay next to battery this is triggered from the ecu so the wiring bodge might be the problem but i doubt it

We have never had a fuel pump problem on ours other than rotten wires at the plug next to the tank so never needed to investigate

Looking at the pic it looks like the white wire is being earthed by the relay so unless the relay is faulty i doubt this is the problem
Stinkyfeet likes this.

Last edited by reliable406; 20-02-13 at 04:55 PM.
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-02-13, 05:03 PM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
Hi from my understanding of these the fuel pump is fed from the brown relay next to battery this is triggered from the ecu so the wiring bodge might be the problem but i doubt it

We have never had a fuel pump problem on ours other than rotten wires at the plug next to the tank so never needed to investigate

Looking at the pic it looks like the white wire is being earthed by the relay so unless the relay is faulty i doubt this is the problem
Thank you so much matey for your reply. It really bugging me as it is running like a absolute dream, only trouble is have to disconnect battery when not in use as after around 5 hours, the battery dies cause the fuel pump running kills it.

The problem only began after the new engine was fitted, no such problem beforehand. This wiring fix was completed a few years ago so can only think something with engine install caused the problem.

Trouble is garage that did engine 140 miles away so not a quick visit to them possible.

Thank you
Old 20-02-13, 05:07 PM   #8
Inactive User

Sorry forgot to say, changed the brown relay by battery, this made no difference, however it does turn the pump off when disconnected
Old 20-02-13, 05:09 PM   #9

I have had plenty of these engines out and in over the last few years and i cannot think of anything that would do what you are experiencing

Try unplugging the big plug in the side of the underbonnet fusebox if the pump stops then it is wiring on the engine somewhere if it does not then you have a strange fault elswhere !
Stinkyfeet likes this.
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-02-13, 05:19 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
I have had plenty of these engines out and in over the last few years and i cannot think of anything that would do what you are experiencing

Try unplugging the big plug in the side of the underbonnet fusebox if the pump stops then it is wiring on the engine somewhere if it does not then you have a strange fault elswhere !
:-) Thank you again mate, when you say the big plug, is it the big fuse in this internal fuse box or a plug adapter?

If I disconnect the brown (near battery) relay, the pump goes off. When I reconnect this, the pump does not start again until the ignition is turned (dashboard lights come on) then the pump kicks in. It will then remain on.

Same applies when the battery is disconnected, when the battery is reconnected, the pump will not kick in until the key is in the ignition and the dashboard lights are on, you dont need to physically start the engine to get the pump to start, just the point where dash lights come on prior to next turn (engine start).

Big thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in