Expert 2 litre Hdi won't start - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Expert
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-15, 08:14 PM   #1
Inactive User

Angry Expert 2 litre Hdi won't start

Hi there, I am new here, just joined because I thought I might be able to get some help with a Peugeot Expert Van, 2 litre Hdi, year 2001.

Here's my story : back in April, I bought above van from an advertiser on E-Bay (really wished I hadn't now in hindsight). I have basically been having massive problems with it ever since (on a random basis). It has been in and out of about half a dozen garages in the Somerset area. When I bought the van, it was driveable. However, after several dozens of miles it started cutting out while driving down the road, as in the complete system shut down such that you lose ability to steer or brake (very very dangerous on a motorway). Then, on multiple occasions, it would fail to start. The vehicle was looked at and what I thought eventually fixed by a garage in Taunton. Then I drove it to Newhaven to get the boat to France. En route, however, it started to develop problems such as stopping randomly, whenever it felt like it (terrible experience when it happened in rush hour at entrance to motorway, glad I was carrying 'Easystart'). In Newhaven itself, it actually broke down at the entrance to the ferry to go to France : I had to use 'Coldstart' to get it going because 'Easystart' would not do the job. Took the ferry to Dieppe. There, in Normandy, I would have several cut-outs (stoppages) on a daily basis. Got as far as Le Mans where it broke down in a supermarket car park. Got speaking to a local man in the car park who recommended a local garage. Went there and explained the problem (ie does not start)........they were able to fix it.........then I drove it back to St Malo without it ever cutting out again. Now I am back home (in Guernsey, Channel Islands) where the vehicle is now un-driveable because it won't start at all now. I was hoping to sell it, however, since I cannot start it, this is clearly impossible. As I have now spent more than 1,000 on this blasted van and basically lost 3 months of my life to it, I was wondering basically what the hell is wrong with it ?

The garage in Le Mans told me that the problem is not with the fuel pump/s. However, since they charged me 200 and 2 weeks later the van breaks down again, I don't know whether to believe them or not. Also, the garages in England that looked at my van, not one of them apart from the final garage that I saw in Taunton really knew what they were doing (and clearly they were useless because 2 days later the van broke down again). The usual thing seems to be to plug in a computer to read the engine error codes. For this you get charged upwards of 50. Then the garage then attempts to fix the vehicle, mostly they were incompetent, not fit to be in business. So, I have no confidence really in any garage fixing this van because not one of them has so far fixed my van. The garage in Le Mans, the chap that worked on my van, he said that he had exactly the same vehicle. Hmmmm. Still, that may be so, but now the van he fixed is now broken again. Also, sometimes, the van does not start in the rain. The van does not seem to like it too wet. And today, it does not like the weather because it is dry and sunny......and it won't start at all !

On my dashboard, there is a STOP message, also the picture of an engine is illuminated, which, according to the Peugeot Expert Handbook, is the "Engine auto-diagnosis" light. Reading the blurb, it says and quote "if it flashes or comes on, this indicates a fault in either the INJECTION, IGNITION, or EMISSIONS systems. Contact the dealer network ASAP".

Well, I have not contacted the dealer network because I refuse to pay upwards of 90 an hour to Peugeot dealers who still probably won't fix the problem.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what is the problem with my 2001 Peugeot Expert Van 2 litre Hdi with 134,000 miles on the clock ? Would be much appreciated, I have given 3 months of my life to this blasted pile of c**P and spent every single penny of my money. I am now bankrupt, unless I can get this thing going and sell it, I am royally screwed, jeez, thanks Peugeot for making such a big pile of f*****g crap !!

Should I write to Peugeot U.K. and explain my problems to them ? Would this be worth it ? Or would they ignore my letter ?

Last edited by Buffalo; 23-06-15 at 08:16 PM.
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-06-15, 09:57 PM   #2

The most common issue with these types of problems is wiring the engine looms get brittle with age and cause poor connections hence it comes and goes we used to replace the engine looms once they started playing up.

The fuel pressure sensor wire gets worn through on the back of starter again causes random problems

Relay next to battery also causes issues

The fuel pumps are unlikely to be the real issue nor is the ecu but these always get blamed !!

Your unlikely to get much help on a Peugeot forum calling Peugeots crap !!

Expert vans are actually pretty good in fiat Peugeot or citroen guises way better than transits reliability wise and cheaper to run if you want real unreliability try a Renault traffic or fiat doblo
Old 23-06-15, 10:04 PM   #3
Ginger Magic

There was an issue, albeit a while ago now, where there was an earth fault on the 2.0Hdi around 2000.

I believe there was a broken earth, quite well hidden, and this earth was responsible for the sensors i.e. fuel pressure, MAF, throttle pedal etc, which created similar symptoms to your Pug.

I can't be any more specific ( I'm off to bed... ) but maybe someone else could help out more specifically.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 23-06-15, 10:36 PM   #4
edd
Inactive User

Its worth a try, but they will probably fob you off in a very nice way ,I may add, my local one in Widnes Cheshire have been pretty good on advise for me on two occasions, but this masonry to do wit radio code many many moons ago on a 207 and just last week asking for my immobility code although I didn't follow through as I never needed it eventually
edd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-06-15, 10:37 PM   #5
edd
Inactive User

Ignore my spelling its predictive text sorry!!
edd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 23-06-15, 11:19 PM   #6
Inactive User

To be honest it is not Peugeots that are crap it is the garages ability to repair them that is crap, I can think of many vehicles that are a lot more expensive than Peugeots and a lot less reliable including quite a few prestige cars. When I used to do autoelectronics I rarely saw a Peugeot or a Citroen, mostly big expensive marques from France's neighbour and their vans were no better. As for HDi's of the late 90's/early 2000's I agree with reliable406 unless someone has fueled it with petrol by mistake, which damages the HP diesel pump also fuel rail pressure transducer, depends what fault codes are being flagged up and whether anyone has bothered looking at the streaming data, most mechanics don't understand that bit but it is usually quite revealing. Diagnosis should be made by first reading the fault code which may or may not be precise, confirmation of fault is usually by streaming data, data logging or freeze frame data, if all else fails meter and scope, unfortunately most garages normally only do the first item which is probably fifty fifty whether it cures anything or not.

Last edited by renegade; 23-06-15 at 11:29 PM.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-06-15, 09:49 AM   #7
Inactive User

Default Further info

I have just been speaking to some local garages here. One garage said that they have fixed several of these Peugeot Expert Vans that won't start. He mentioned that, in 7/10 cases, it was the "fuel solenoid" sometimes together with the "relay plate". Are these things that I can perhaps fit myself ? I don't really want to have to fork out another 200 to a garage whereby the only component they end up fitting is a little Bosch or other plastic item costing ten pounds !!
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-06-15, 01:19 PM   #8

Might be worth getting someone to try and start it while you wiggle every bit of cabling in the engine bay to see if you can find the bad connection. I would check the connections to the pump at the top of the fuel tank as well,
wynb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-06-15, 01:45 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
I have just been speaking to some local garages here. One garage said that they have fixed several of these Peugeot Expert Vans that won't start. He mentioned that, in 7/10 cases, it was the "fuel solenoid" sometimes together with the "relay plate". Are these things that I can perhaps fit myself ? I don't really want to have to fork out another 200 to a garage whereby the only component they end up fitting is a little Bosch or other plastic item costing ten pounds !!
I am actually struggling to know what they mean by a "fuel solenoid" on an HDi as this term usually refers to the older mechanical injection pumps as fitted to the 1.9D. Does sound like another garage talking through their hat. Yes you could do that sort of work yourself it is quite straightforward but you will probably pay a lot more than a tenner for the parts. The advance solenoid for a 1.9D is around 65, as an example. Can you confirm that this is a 2.0 HDi and not a 1.9D as there is a big difference.

Last edited by renegade; 24-06-15 at 01:49 PM.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-06-15, 05:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo View Post
Maybe they were talking about a regulator.

I just picked an expert van from the many possibilities and found this - maybe this is what the garage meant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in