Clutch - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Expert
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By storeman
  • 1 Post By reliable406

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-16, 05:35 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Clutch

hi i have a 15 plate expert its done just over 37000 and the clutch is starting to slip is this normal as it seems a little soon to be needing a clutch. its still under warranty but cant find any info regarding cover or how many miles it should do. any info would be greatly appreciated.
bubba ho-tep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-16, 06:29 PM   #2

Clutch failure is covered (eg slave cylinder and possibly pressure plate) but wear on clutch plate is classed as wear and tear unless you can prove otherwise that its not from riding clutch etc (near on impossible to do without paying for a full engineers report and hoping they agree with you)
Old 11-10-16, 07:30 PM   #3

I agree we had this very issue with 1 of our taxis the clutch is a wear and tear item and is only covered for major failure IE falling to bits ours lasted 50k miles and although a taxi was not abused !

Old 16-10-16, 08:21 PM   #4

is it common to get so few miles from a clutch?
martin.w is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-10-16, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.w View Post
is it common to get so few miles from a clutch?
Depends on how the car is driven. Riding the clutch in heavy stop / start traffic or at junctions & traffic lights will drastically shorten the life of a clutch.

When I was learning to drive way back in the very late 1970's I was taught to hold the clutch at the biting point ready to set off when at lights or waiting to turn right. Took me a long time to break out of that habit - like not until 2012 when I started running my own cars rather than company cars. Decided I wanted the clutch to last as long as possible and got into the habit of changing into neutral and useing the handbrake rather than ride the clutch.
martin.w likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-10-16, 08:17 AM   #6

Every vehicle is different but these clutches dont seem to last much more than 80k

I have a clio dci that has 150k miles on its original clutch and it gets a hard life
I burnt out a subaru clutch in 15k miles once
martin.w likes this.
Old 17-10-16, 06:15 PM   #7

I changed the clutch on my last 307 at around 120k miles with no record of it being done in the history I got with the car. It may have been the original clutch. I guess if you do a lot of motorway miles as I did for 3.5 years you would use the clutch less doing doing 1000 miles than you would doing 1000 miles around town though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-10-16, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by storeman View Post
Depends on how the car is driven. Riding the clutch in heavy stop / start traffic or at junctions & traffic lights will drastically shorten the life of a clutch.

When I was learning to drive way back in the very late 1970's I was taught to hold the clutch at the biting point ready to set off when at lights or waiting to turn right. Took me a long time to break out of that habit - like not until 2012 when I started running my own cars rather than company cars. Decided I wanted the clutch to last as long as possible and got into the habit of changing into neutral and useing the handbrake rather than ride the clutch.
I was taught to ride the clutch too. Then my instructor told me why it was such a bad practice.
I once suggested to a girlfriend she shouldn't slip the clutch waiting at a junction, she replied "I'm not slipping the clutch, I'm riding it".

Roger.
Old 20-10-16, 03:33 PM   #9
Inactive User

Although that's much lower mileage than normal it's not so low as to be exceptional. The other thing that can severely limit clutch life is carrying heavy weight. One reason why taxis get through clutches quickly, they're often driving around with 4 people in them. It won't be covered under warranty either.
goa127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20-10-16, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goa127 View Post
Although that's much lower mileage than normal it's not so low as to be exceptional. The other thing that can severely limit clutch life is carrying heavy weight. One reason why taxis get through clutches quickly, they're often driving around with 4 people in them. It won't be covered under warranty either.
\My wife gets 90k per clutch from her 307 hdi. It is used to tow our caravan occasionally, but in daily life it is a minicab. But she drives it sensibly. Sympathetic driving habits can dramatically lengthen a clutches life.

Roger.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in