2000 Peugeot Expert HDI starter motor???? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Expert
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-05-14, 09:30 AM   #1
Rob
Inactive User

Default 2000 Peugeot Expert HDI starter motor????

Hi Guys, i have only joined this furom today and this is my first post!
I need help/advice asap so i can get out and get some work done!
My Expert van sometimes decides to just click when i want to start it? It can go days on end starting up fine. I go from job to job everyday, so it may be started as much as 20 times a day sometimes. But every so often i get in and it just clicks? This has now become more frequent and is a pain in the backside. I got the jump leads out yesterday and it still just clicked. We rocked it back and forth in gear, then tried again, but it just clicked. Finally we pushed it and bump started it fine! I took it home and it started off the key 5-6 times no probs. Went out today and it started first thing, turned it off and tried again half hour later, just clicking again. The battery is good, the wires from battery, starter etc all seem good???? Any way i give the solonoide that is attached to the top of the starter a few pokes with a length of wood, and it started fine. Been out and about, then tried to start again, just clicking, poked ot with the wood, started!
I am guessing the solonoide/starter is sticking/knackered needs replacing???
Is this a simple enough job to do myself?
Anyone got a vid or procedure on how to do this please?
Any advice or help is most welcome!
Thanks in advance!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 13-05-14, 10:00 AM   #2

|I'm guessing it will be a winding broken on one or more of the commutator segments or the starter pinion sticking. Either of these could cause intermittent starting. Guess it's time for a new starter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-05-14, 10:02 AM   #3
Rob
Inactive User

Thanks,
Is changing the starter a straight forward simple enough job to do myself?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 13-05-14, 12:21 PM   #4
Ginger Magic

I did my starter recently, after mine finally gave up - took 45 minutes.

My car is a 406 so the layout may be different, but on mine I took the airbox out to get access to the starter bolts, and undid the 2 10mm bolts for the fuel filter housing and flipped it up out of the way to get to the back of the starter.

It is pretty self explanatory when you see it, but you must disconnect the battery ( waiting at least 5 mins from key out of ignition, doors closed before disconnecting ) and you really need to have a set of torx / allen sockets ( amazon 15 ), normal sockets and an 8mm spanner for the nut on the back of the starter.

I am no mechanic but I'm not useless either - somewhere in the middle - and I found this job a walk in the park, albeit a bit fiddly.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-05-14, 04:47 PM   #5

just after fitting an new starter about an hour ago to an hdi expert with the same fault. its pretty common and easy to fit, took about 20 minutes to fit and cost 66 +vat from europarts.
salster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in