2.0 HDI difficult problem - Continously jerking at low load. Not EGR/MAF - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Expert
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-12-18, 12:22 PM   #1
vbk

Default 2.0 HDI difficult problem - Continously jerking at low load. Not EGR/MAF

Hello!

Engine 120hp 2.0HDI.
I have a difficult issue where the car is jerking at low load, especially in the range 1500-2000rpm on gear 5 and 6 (it is not related to the gear, but it is most noticable on gear 5&6 in range 1500-2000rpm).
If accelerate to much or to much load then jerking is stopping and the car will run smoothly again until deaccelerate and then low load again.
The jerking will go on forever if not accelerate to much.

I have tried to disconnect MAF, EGR, air intake connector and also one vaccum magnetic valve without any change to the jerking.

When connecting the ODB I notice that many values go up and down with the jerking including
MAF values, Fuel pressure, fuel injection values.
There are no error codes except for glow plug (?) relay, but that error code seems to be very common as I have seen it on several HDI engines.
Also clutch pedal switch is alarming as the connector to the switch is disconnected.

The jerking is very continous on/off every ~1second.
No difference on the behaviour cold or warm.

Anyone that has any ideas?

Last edited by vbk; 28-12-18 at 12:53 PM.
vbk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 28-12-18, 01:23 PM   #2

Fix the clutch switch the ecu needs this signal for various things.

As for the jerking have you done the basics and changed the fuel filter.
Old 28-12-18, 07:44 PM   #3
vbk

The clutch switch is removed to be able to start with the caravan when it is very much upwards (better burn the tires than burn the clutch).
The clutch switch connected prevents the burnouts

Im not sure if I have changed the fuel filter after the jerking started, but the fuel filter was new within 5000km when Jerking started.
But I have a strong feeling that it is not related due to the behaviour of the Jerking.
Constant ~1 second jerking, it occur under low load only and it is fully controllable to get rid of the behaviour by shortly accelerate.
Also the behaviour when accelerate to get rid of the behaviour then what happens is that engine get "stuck" in the higher power level (high power level of the jerking). So it then increase the speed 10-20km/h and as long as you do not decrease the speed the jerking is gone.

But I should of course change the fuel filter to be 100% sure.
Meanwhile, any other ideas?

Last edited by vbk; 28-12-18 at 09:09 PM.

Old 29-12-18, 01:23 PM   #4
rwb

Send a message via Skype™ to rwb

Check the engine mounts? (Grab the top of the engine and use all your weight to to rock it hard backwards and forwards. If it moves at all then you need new mounts.)
rwb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-12-18, 04:16 PM   #5

Bottom and top mounts are famous for this
E7 58reg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-19, 07:32 PM   #6
vbk

1. I have doubble checked the service log and the Fuel filter has recently been replaced without any improvement (the jerking was the same before and after the fuel filter change).

2. The problem is not related to engine mounts.
It is defenately the engingine that once every ~1second change the power output level and by that cause the jerking.
Note: When reading values via ODB, then both expected and measured values (like fuel injection level , MAF and so on...) do jump up and down (about 10%) and this is follwoing the jerking. The question is what is causing the engine power level to continously jump up and down. See the initial message, I have tried to disconnect a lot of sensors without improvement to the jerking.
Old 03-01-19, 08:17 PM   #7

Get it on Peugeot planet and check the Fuel Pressure Regulator status as it could be the fuel pump / pressure regulator. Had a similar thing on the 90bhp 2.0 HDi.
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-19, 08:49 PM   #8
vbk

Problem seems to be solved!
reliable406: It seems like you were correct...

I noticed in Peugeot planet that gearbox gear was continously changing between indicating "5th" and "???".
So then I reconnected the clutch switch and the jerking seems to be gone (and the gear is indicating correct gear "5th")!

So there seems to be some jerking in the Frenc logic in the firmware when the clutch switch is not attached properly....

But now I need another way to fool the French logic to be able to get more than 2750rpm when start in the hills (2750 rpm is not enough to get started with the caravan).
Question: Is there any way to turnoff the 2750rpm limitation when the clutch pedal is pressed?
Maybe I have to attach a separate switch where I can enable/disable the clutch switch when needed...
Old 07-01-19, 08:54 PM   #9

Max torque is around 1700 rpm so I would have thought anything above that would not have much affect on pull away unless it not fully boosting off load

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-19, 08:57 PM   #10

Must be one HEAVY caravan
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in