Wiring a cooling fan behind the display - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-17, 01:54 AM   #1

Default Wiring a cooling fan behind the display

I'm thinking about putting a fan in behind my display to keep it cool, but I'm just trying to decide the best place to splice it in. Obviously not a permanently hot wire..
I have the RD4 setup, the one where the stupid orange display gets hot and then fades out. I could just buy a new display for 40-60 but that's not really much fun. I bought a cheap 10 display for a 207, it worked fine but it was really primitive and lacked features.

I know that the RT3 has a fan so there must be somewhere it plugs into, anyone know where that is?

I suppose I could wire it into the ignition, or into the display itself but it may suck all the amps from the display, not sure. The fan I have is an old xbox fan I had lying around.. 12v 0.40A. I can get it to fit perfectly behind the display after cutting out a little plastic bulge that was in the way. Once I find a good power wire I'll mess around with resistors to get a comfortable noise\cooling level. Might even throw a potentiometer on to it for on-the-fly cooling.

So, any recommendations for a suitable power source?

Advertisement

Old 01-04-17, 08:22 PM   #2

Ok, don't even bother. Just done it there, and it only makes a slight difference, if any. I also put a potentiometer in and had the fans up to pull power, and I even took the plastic cover off the back of the display to get more airflow through. The display is just about viewable in the 'inverse' mode alright but I wouldn't recommend going to the bother of doing it unless you're really, really bored..

I'm guessing the problem is the very front of the display, as it's still pretty warm there.
Old 09-04-17, 09:14 PM   #3

Ok, so I may have been a bit hasty.

After a week or so with the fan installed and the display set to brightest and 'inverted', it seems to be a lot better. I hopped into the car today after the sun was beating down on it for a few hours and the display was unreadable. However after a few minutes with the new fan running the display came back fine again. So the fan actually works alright. Still a few lines on the display but nothing major, and the uninverted option is still pretty useless.

Also... before, I could feel heat coming from the display, now it's the same temperature as the rest of the dash, if not a bit cooler. I wired the fan into the ignition power supply for the radio (pin 15, I think) and just grounded it to something metal behind the glovebox. Oh and I threw a 1000 ohm potentiometer in too, and made a little hole in the glovebox for it. The potentiometer gets a bit warm if it's turned off\low so I might throw another resistor in at some stage.

So, yea, it's definitely much better than it was. I think I didn't give the fan a chance to do it's work the last day and I had the brightness on low.

It's nice to be able to see the climate temp, clock, mpg etc, even if the inverted option does look a bit ugly. :-)

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in