Sidelight LED problems - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-12, 10:28 PM   #1
Inactive User

Question Sidelight LED problems

OK, thought I'd try some more simple stuff and switch out the sidelight bulbs for LEDs. Easy enough but thats where the issue went a little iffy.

They work fine as sidelights but switch off the lights and there's still a glimmer from the LEDs as if they're either drawing current from somewhere or perhaps retaining current.

Any ideas guys?
unusualsuspx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-08-12, 07:18 AM   #2

For how long? Have you carefully tested the connectors of the lights with no bulbs in with a multimeter?
Old 29-08-12, 09:43 AM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loot34 View Post
For how long? Have you carefully tested the connectors of the lights with no bulbs in with a multimeter?
That's the first job this evening I'm guessing (because LEDs draw so little power) that the slightest voltage will make them glimmer even when switched off and because ordinary bulbs require more voltage to activate, that would explain why the standard bulbs aren't lighting when in the off position.

All inspired guesswork at the mo but hopefully backing it up with some evidence later

Thanks for that Loot, I'll let you know.

Last edited by unusualsuspx; 29-08-12 at 10:28 AM.

Old 02-09-12, 09:09 PM   #4
Inactive User

Well strangerer and strangerer. Just replaced all interior courtesy lights with BLUE LEDs and they're now doing the same; glowing dimly even when they're effectively off.

This is enough to cause me a little consternation this is
Old 03-09-12, 03:10 PM   #5
Inactive User

Does the lamp off warning system pass a small current through the lamps? Could be enough to light LEDs as they take very little current.
Rockbyter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-12, 09:43 PM   #6
Inactive User

Same here (307, interior leds). LEDs need far less current than ordinary fillament lamps and as there is always a little current flowing through (multiplex/canbus) they tend to light up slightly. I wouldn't worry about it, however if it bugs you you could fit a small resistor in series or pick one of those leds for canbus systems that have a resistor built-in.
drdino is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-12, 12:47 PM   #7
Stubbo

Did you buy the ones that say they are canbus error free?

I just changed mine on the 307 with these and they look fantastic at night, i dont have a bulb out warning so no slight glimmer for me!

I plumped for a couple of these, you can see the inbuilt resistory bits!

2 x ERROR FREE CANBUS W5W T10 501 LED SIDE LIGHT BULB 8 SMD | eBay

I'm not sure on the legality of these though, on their own they are ice white, with the dipped beams they look like they have a slight blue tinge

Last edited by Stubbo; 12-09-12 at 01:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-09-12, 08:55 AM   #8
Inactive User

You know I never even considered the 'Canbus effect'!!!! That, I suspect will be the answer to my dilemma

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Old 16-09-12, 11:33 AM   #9
davidireland

It takes an LED longer to drain the power from whatever capacitor within the BSI over a normal 501 glass bulb.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-12, 01:04 PM   #10
Inactive User

error free LEDS is what you need otherwise the canbus system will recognise there is an after market (foreign) device installed and wont know (unless a resistor is on led) how much power to supply the bulb so will constantly feed bulb.
y8sbb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in