Scabby Leather Steering wheel - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-01-11, 03:50 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Scabby Leather Steering wheel

Got my 307 looking fantastic the only flaw is a scabby leather steeing wheel. The outside coating on the leather has started to peel and looks unsightly. I've heard this is common with the 307 wheels. Is there a solvent that would speed up the process and remove the top layer all together?
keve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-11, 03:39 PM   #2

I saw a wheeler dealers show the other day where they rejuvenated leather seats. I can't see why the same process wouldn't work on a steering wheel...

they got a company in to do the work but the process was basically...

scrub the steering wheel with some cleaning compound, to remove the top layer of the the finish and remove any loose bits. I imagine that this could be done (carefully) with some very fine wet and dry paper and a very mild soap.

once this was complete the used some leather dye/paint to put a good colour back into the seats, (they didn't change the colour).

the seats were then finished with a kind of lacquer that's made specially for leather.

the reason that you have to use stuff made specially for leather and not something like house paint and pcb lacquer or varnish is that this dry to a brittle hardness, whilst the special leather ones finish to a decent sheen, and also stay flexible so that they don't crack and peel...

there are also a few tutorials on youtube that cover car upholstery that deal specifically with re-stitching a leather steering wheel, so if you were feeling particularly adventurous/skilful then you could take the wheel off the car, bring it into the house take off the old leather and replace it with an entirely new one...

or you can do like I did and just buy a slip over cover from halfords to cover the grotty peeling steeling wheel.
danielr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in