Retrofitting Auto-Dimming Mirror? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-02-10, 07:53 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Retrofitting Auto-Dimming Mirror?

I had an automatic dimming rear view mirror on my 207 and it's one of the few things I miss on my 308.

Do you think it would be possible to retrofit an auto dimming unit in place of my standard one on my 308?
graeme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-02-10, 04:39 PM   #2
chopper1192

You'd need the mirror, which will nae be cheap. A used mirror from a 407 being broken might be cheaper. You'll then need to lay in a power supply, slaved to the lights. Not difficult, but the mirror itself might cost a few pennies.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-02-10, 08:07 AM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192
You'd need the mirror, which will nae be cheap. A used mirror from a 407 being broken might be cheaper. You'll then need to lay in a power supply, slaved to the lights. Not difficult, but the mirror itself might cost a few pennies.
I didn't think I'd need any wiring other than the power supply. I was guessing that it was a stand-alone unit.

I've not had a chance to check yet but i think that the harness to my map light might be the same as the one for the auto-dimming mirror. I know that on quite a few other cars, the harnesses are the sam, it's just a case of plugging in the unit.

I'll have to try and get a price form somewhere!
graeme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 18-02-10, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive User

You used to be able to do a similar retro fit on rover 200's with the MGF mirror.

Basic jist is, you need the mirror and some form of power. On my old rover I used the interior light to take a feed from and it worked as you would expect. Came on with interiors and dimmed when it should.
roy_newell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 18-02-10, 10:41 AM   #5
chopper1192

you need the power relayed into the headlamps though, or on bright sunny days the whole thing will dim. Been thinking about this, and I still reckon a 407 being broken (you need the original Sport from 2004/2005, or SE-Lux and higher) could be your best bet for the mirror. Wiring should be a snap. Could be an interesting project there.
Old 18-02-10, 11:21 AM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192
you need the power relayed into the headlamps though, or on bright sunny days the whole thing will dim. Been thinking about this, and I still reckon a 407 being broken (you need the original Sport from 2004/2005, or SE-Lux and higher) could be your best bet for the mirror. Wiring should be a snap. Could be an interesting project there.
Not doubting you chop. Just intrigued.
Why does the power need to be relayed into the headlamps? Why would a 12v from the interior light not do and why would it dim on sunny days?

I'm assuming its all BSI related. But surely a light just needs a power and ground feed? (Obviously switched though in this case hence why I said from the interior)
Old 18-02-10, 12:21 PM   #7
chopper1192

Now that's a good question - is it connected to the BSI? I'm thinking not and that it's a self contained unit, but you never bleeding quite know with Peugeot!

Yeah, sunny day, sun behind you will dim it. Can't remember which car it was I did a transplant myself (think it was my Carlton, which would be 2 decades ago) and I ended up keeping the power supply direct from the dash, but slaving it to a relay spliced into the dashboard lighting so it only activated with the headlamps on, and that cured it. It may be that the pug ones are better, in which case there's nothing to be lost connecting it to an ignition switched power supply and trying it - if it doesn't work it's then but a minor job to add a relay.
Old 18-02-10, 01:14 PM   #8
Inactive User

LOL, even after you explain it, I still don't get it.

I don't get why you'd only have it come on when headlights are on? and the dimming you're talking about. I mean obviously if the sun is behind it it won't look as bright, but the same can be said for any interior light???

I know I'm being really dumb here and missing something staring me in the face, but I just don't get it, LOL
Old 18-02-10, 01:42 PM   #9
chopper1192

I dunno. maybe I'm losing something in the translation!

either way, Graeme should try it and let us know how it goes - it would make a good 'how to'.
Old 21-02-10, 10:16 AM   #10

JUST READ THRU THIS LINK
LOL MADE ME SMILE

ITS A EASY JOB YOU COULD DO IT TO ANY CAR AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A DIMMING MIRROR. ALL IT IS A LIGHT THAT REFLECTS THRU THE INSIDE OF THE MIRROR CREATING A DIMMING EFFECT, SIMPLE LINK UP TO ANY LIVE i.e interior light (nearest power feed wire) and join the circuit.

this should be so cheap try ebay for a mirror or a car breakers
Easymikey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in