planet on win7 running XP mode - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-11, 07:47 AM   #1
Afo
Inactive User

Default planet on win7 running XP mode

Hello folks,

I am attempting to run planet on my laptop running Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

I've got XP mode running and have successfully installed Planet as well as the USB drivers for the interface. It's activated and opens fine, however when I'm trying to connect my car to do a diagnostic (2002 307 HDi, VAN system) I am facing an error.

Planet is obviously communicating with the car, as when I select '307' from the initial list, it asks me to connect the cable and switch on ignition, after which it pulls up the VIN of the car and asks for the build code, but then when I click on 'Planet diagnostics' on the next screen I get the error above.

I've done a google search for the obvious terms: 'wincad peugeot planet' and 'win87em.dll planet' and found a couple of other people have had the same issue, but no solutions unfortunately.

win87em.dll seems to be from the age-old Windows 3.1, so not too sure what I can do to resolve this.

Can anyone suggest what could be causing this or even better, suggest a solution?
Afo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 30-06-11, 11:13 AM   #2
Stubbo

Long story short.... you cant! (i wrestled with this one for a good while before giving up, its possibly something to do with XP Mode, i bet if you build your own VM it will be fine)

Unless you have a pure windows xp machine you'll keep hitting this error, although it is quite intermittent

Mine tended to throw it a lot when doing a global test, individual ECU tests work as normal though!

I wouldnt like to know what'd happen if it crashed like this midway through it changing settings on the car

Much better off having a dual boot, or a separate cheap xp laptop just for planet

Saying that i dont know if the latest update for planet (24.77) does anything, but i imagine because its the same base software it'll still be calling the same problem files into play!

Last edited by Stubbo; 30-06-11 at 11:30 AM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30-06-11, 02:38 PM   #3
Inactive User

back in the day when i had planet...I used windows 7 as a base OS. and used Microsoft Vmware and installed a copy of xp on that and used that to host my planet diag software...hope that makes sense.

john_h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 30-06-11, 03:48 PM   #4
Stubbo

Thats what i was on about up top, i think the microsoft provided XP Mode doesnt play well

Building yourself a vm from scratch seems like a better idea!

I take it yours didnt throw this error john?
Old 30-06-11, 05:00 PM   #5
Inactive User

no error when i installed like that.

Old 30-06-11, 07:20 PM   #6
Stubbo

I'm going to give this a try later i think, been a while since i built a ye olde xp machine!
Old 30-06-11, 09:19 PM   #7
Afo
Inactive User

thanks guys. Whilst trying to sort this out I've already been asking around for someone with an old laptop I can reformat and use purely for Planet.

I think I'll try uninstalling Virtual PC with XP Mode and give VMWare a try. Before I got the interface I did read some posts about VMWare working (probably by one of you) and I think it was chopper or philkerman who was involved in the discussion too.

This laptop is my workhorse so-to-speak, so ideally I'll have it running on here rather than a dedicated old one. Saying that, if I'm going to be dragging it out to cars then perhaps I should just get one of those battered old IBM Thinkpads that seem to withstand anything!
Afo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-11, 08:38 AM   #8
Stubbo

Well i take my hat off to you john, building my own vm for planet was indeed the answer!!

Should have known the microsoft offering wouldnt be up to scratch!

Now i can retire my clunky half dead laptop i've been using for planet!
Old 01-07-11, 08:43 AM   #9
Inactive User

glad to hear you got it stubbo

i managed to do it on a 4 year old laptop...ran a bit slow but was perfectly stable and worked a treat.

Old 26-03-12, 04:02 PM   #10

Old thread I know, but I am running windows 7, using VMware workstation I have PP on it but also get the dreaded wincad error
delvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in