New DRL installation on my 207...and a sidelight bulb question - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-10, 01:25 PM   #1
Inactive User

Smile New DRL installation on my 207...and a sidelight bulb question

Hi all, just thought I'd share my new DRL installation with you (picture below - sorry for the small image size wouldn't let me upload a bigger one).

It's wired up to the battery with control boxes so that they come on and off with the engine. There is also a separate wire to wire into the sidelights so that the DRLs go off when the headlights are turned on...but I'm not sure if I'll hook this one up...

My question is...I want LED sidelight bulbs but they will make the bulb failure warning messages come up due to the way LED bulbs are wired. Is there any way around this or any way to switch off these error messages?

Thanks
Andy

pug2.jpg
andyellis111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-10, 07:44 PM   #2
chopper1192

You need CANBUS safe LEDs. The outside edge of the DRL must be placed no greater than 145mm from the outside edge of the bumper to be legal.

Last edited by chopper1192; 11-08-10 at 09:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-10, 09:21 AM   #3
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1192
You need CANBUS safe LEDs. The outside edge of the DRL must be placed no greater than 145mm from the outside edge of the bumper to be legal.
Hi, what is CANBUS? Sorry for being a noob...

Also, the DRLs are made by Ring and the instruction manual states that to be legal, they just need to be at the same height and distance from edge of car as each other, but cannot be closer than 350mm from each other.

Going off that, they're legal. I travel 45 mins to work each day on the M6 where there's plenty of police and not been stopped yet - although they've only been on for like 4 days lol.

Cheers

Old 12-08-10, 09:35 AM   #4
chopper1192

CANBUS is the type of electrical system the car runs.

No further from the edge of the bumper that 145mm AND no closer than 350mm (which'd need a damn small car to breach both if those at the same time).

The law is in a state of flux at present. Someones just realised that a lot of OE DRLs are in the foglight position, so technically commiting an offence. Guidance to forces (guidance, not law) is not to prosecute for either DRL or front fog light offences until the law is ammended, and that is due to hit the statute books in October.

Not being tugged is no guarantee of either lawfulness or immunity. I know these things, because I'm a lawman.

And the big irony is...yup, there is no evidence that these things make a car any safer in temperate climates where we get the normal amount of daylight. Indeed, there is emerging evidence to suggest they actually increase accidents by breaking up the outline of an oncoming car in bright light, and thus depriving the observers brain of the visual datum required to calculate the speed of an oncoming object, ie, the rate at which the object apparently increases in size in relation to it's surroundings. We can thank Brussels for that one.
Old 12-08-10, 10:00 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
CANBUS is the type of electrical system the car runs.

No further from the edge of the bumper that 145mm AND no closer than 350mm (which'd need a damn small car to breach both if those at the same time).

The law is in a state of flux at present. Someones just realised that a lot of OE DRLs are in the foglight position, so technically commiting an offence. Guidance to forces (guidance, not law) is not to prosecute for either DRL or front fog light offences until the law is ammended, and that is due to hit the statute books in October.

Not being tugged is no guarantee of either lawfulness or immunity. I know these things, because I'm a lawman.

And the big irony is...yup, there is no evidence that these things make a car any safer in temperate climates where we get the normal amount of daylight. Indeed, there is emerging evidence to suggest they actually increase accidents by breaking up the outline of an oncoming car in bright light, and thus depriving the observers brain of the visual datum required to calculate the speed of an oncoming object, ie, the rate at which the object apparently increases in size in relation to it's surroundings. We can thank Brussels for that one.
Lol...I just sometimes use the safety reason as an excuse, but the truth is I just think they look cool

The Ring instructions don't mention the 145mm from edge of bumper rule...either it doesn't apply or Ring have missed something out (probably the latter). They're E marked too.

If the foglight law issue is true, perhaps I'll be safe as my DRLs are positioned where the sport models' fog lights are?
Old 12-08-10, 10:15 AM   #6
chopper1192

I dunno. Who knows? If I were going to fit them I'd get surface mount ones and fit them immediately above the fogs.

s'funny how they're 'cool'. I remember when the seatbelt law was introduced, and people didn't suddenly start wearing their seatbelts a year beforehand because it was cool. Maybe perceived safety is cool now?
Old 12-08-10, 10:38 AM   #7
Inactive User

Quote:
I dunno. Who knows? If I were going to fit them I'd get surface mount ones and fit them immediately above the fogs.

s'funny how they're 'cool'. I remember when the seatbelt law was introduced, and people didn't suddenly start wearing their seatbelts a year beforehand because it was cool. Maybe perceived safety is cool now?
yeah, but lights that make your car stand out are more fun than having to stick an annoying band of uncomfortable fabric across your chest and groin...

By surface mount, do you mean ones that would stick out in-front of the bumper...would that not be illegal too? I could've mounted these on the brackets sticking out, but it would've given any pedestrian a nice big gash in the side of the thigh if I hit them.
Where mine are now, they're cut & sunk into the grill and out of the way.

Re the seatbelt law, I think it should be got rid of - it would kill off all the ar*e holes that drive too fast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in