Fitting seats between models. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gibbo
  • 1 Post By storeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-14, 06:41 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Fitting seats between models.

Can anyone give me advice please on which seats fit a 306 estate other than seats out of another 306 estate.

I recently purchased a 306 estate which mechanically is good but it has the horrible brushed nylon seats. Unfortunately it has airbags built into the seats. While I can find plenty of seats from 306's heading towards the scrap yard which don't have airbags in them, its proving difficult to find ones that do. (I asked the local Peugeot garage about reprogramming the ECU, and they had kittens about the legality, as did the local mechanic about fitting a resister under the seats, so fitting seats without airbags seems to be a dead end)

I wondered about widening my search for suitable replacement seats, particularly would the seats from a 407 fit a 306. (Either just the front seats or all seats.)
J-Gwen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-14, 07:27 AM   #2

407 seats are much wider than the 306s, I can't see them fitting.

We're also sticklers for airbags operating correctly and do not discuss the resistor bypass.
storeman likes this.
Old 08-07-14, 08:40 AM   #3

There is always the option to get a set of seat covers which are designed for seats with airbags. Would probably work out a hell of a lot cheaper than replacement seats. As for bypassing the airbags, apart from the legality side of things I'm pretty sure the insurance company would refuse to insure it if you told them this had been done and if you failed to notify them it had been done and you were involved in an accident then your insurance would be void.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-14, 04:11 PM   #4
Inactive User

Thanks for the suggestion on seat covers, I have been looking at the options but I am not sure about the safety of the combination of waterproof covers and heat pads with brushed nylon seats. Which is why I am researching options for changing the seats to leather heated seats, or at least better quality seats that can be used with a heat pad and water proof covers.

From a mechanical point of view it was a good idea to buy this car, and at the time of buying the local mechanic who recommended it so highly, thought it would be possible to swap the seats from my old 306 to this one so at least they had a decent finish if not heated, but the 6 month difference in age brought the air bags in seat problem. I wouldn't have bought it without having a plan in place to replace the seats.

If I am going to keep it for any length of time it also needs a tow hitch fitting and I am reluctant to spend the money to have one fitted unless I can find a solution to the brushed nylon seats.
Old 08-07-14, 04:17 PM   #5
Inactive User

Both programming around the problem and the resister were suggestions from this forum on solutions to swapping the seats between my higher mileage w reg 306 and my new low mileage X reg 306. They are suggestions I haven't followed, that's why I am looking for ideas on what other seats are common with a 306 because there seems to be plenty of seats without airbags for sale, but I have been looking for nearly 2 months for 306 seats with airbags.

If I going to keep the car I also need to get a tow hitch fitted, but I don't want to spend the money on that if I can't solve the problem of the terrible seats in this vehicle.
Old 08-07-14, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Gwen View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on seat covers, I have been looking at the options but I am not sure about the safety of the combination of waterproof covers and heat pads with brushed nylon seats. Which is why I am researching options for changing the seats to leather heated seats, or at least better quality seats that can be used with a heat pad and water proof covers.

From a mechanical point of view it was a good idea to buy this car, and at the time of buying the local mechanic who recommended it so highly, thought it would be possible to swap the seats from my old 306 to this one so at least they had a decent finish if not heated, but the 6 month difference in age brought the air bags in seat problem. I wouldn't have bought it without having a plan in place to replace the seats.

If I am going to keep it for any length of time it also needs a tow hitch fitting and I am reluctant to spend the money to have one fitted unless I can find a solution to the brushed nylon seats.
No mention of heating pads in the original post! You don't have to go down the route of waterproof covers or for that matter, heating pads. I've never had heated seats in any car since I started driving nearly 40 years ago and can't really see the point. I've never found car seats to be uncomfortably cold even in the harshest winters and they soon warm up anyway. Maybe I'd consider them if I was in someplace really cold say Norway or Alaska but definitely not a deal buster in the UK.

Another option would be to take them to an auto upholsterer and get them recovered. Leather would probably be way too expensive but some kind of fabric could be reasonably cost effective. I've used one place a couple of times to solve the issue of cigarette burns in seats before. These guys can work magic with seat upholstery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-07-14, 09:13 AM   #7
Inactive User

I asked for assistance on identifying donor models to replace the seats in an X reg car because the ones in this one were brushed nylon.

Heated seats are not just for the cold, they are great if your work is physically hard and you are working outdoors in all weathers.

I have dogs, I haven't had a vehicle with cloth seats that I haven't fitted water proof seat covers on in over 20 years.
Old 09-07-14, 09:27 AM   #8
Inactive User

Another option would be to take them to an auto upholsterer and get them recovered. Leather would probably be way too expensive but some kind of fabric could be reasonably cost effective.

Its a 14 year old car. A full set of seats will cost about 100 from a vehicle being scrapped, and I think its worth paying that sort of figure to make the car useable in the long term. But while there are plenty of seats for sale for a 306 which don't have air bags in them I haven't found any for sale which do. I asked for information on what models the seats are interchangeable between so that I can increase the range of options on purchasing seats from a scrap car.

It doesn't matter if the seats are a little worn just as long as they are not brushed nylon.
Old 09-07-14, 04:41 PM   #9

Replies are given based on the information in the question. Every new reply brings a little more information. Original post had no mention of heater pads, waterproof covers or dogs which necessitate waterproof covers. All answers back to your original question have been legitimate and then another nugget of unknown info comes along to negate that answer. People can only supply their opinions based on the info given. If that info is lacking then don't be surprised if the replies don't meet with your approval.

Only answer is to keep the brushed nylon seats until you find some suitable replacements. If they are going to be replaced anyway it doesn't really matter if they get soiled by the dogs.

As for physically hard work outdoors, I also have done this kind of work and still do. Lying on your back in four inches of snow trying to hold up and bolt big three phase motors onto their mountings is not easy work. Still didn't need heated seats.
Gibbo likes this.

Old 10-07-14, 11:40 AM   #10
Inactive User

The title of the thread and the question asked were what seats from other models will fit a 306 estate. If no one responds with an answer to that question its fine.

I need to make the decision on if I am going to keep this vehicle long term and spend my time continuing searching for replacement seats, or just look for a vehicle which is closer to the spec that I want and sell this one on.

Thank you for your views on seats and comfort levels. I didn't want to take up time on the forum giving my life history to explain why I wanted the information I was asking for. To get back to my question, does anyone know what other models have seats which will fit a 306. Either a full set of seats, or if need be just the front seats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in