Extra Led's on my new Peugeot 308 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-15, 10:48 AM   #1
Inactive User

Question Extra Led's on my new Peugeot 308

I have recently purchased a new Peugeot Allure 1.6 diesel .I want to add 1 Long /or/2 short led's strips /light units to the front grill for appearance purposes only and want to know
a) Can this be done without doing any harm to car or negating the manufacturers guarantee
b) Has anyone done this and knows what it involves
c) What size/strength led strips do I need that is legally ok and wont blind oncoming cars
d) I already have daytime running lights - can my proposed new lights be wired into them ?
e) What type of LED's do I need and also what else is needed ? controller ??
f) I was thinking of using stick- on flexable LED's because if it does,nt work out or I dont like the result I can easily remove them and have no permanent damage done the grill.
g) Ive seen on youtube where they have been connected in such a way as they ( my proposed LED strips / lights) turn on with daytime running lights at maybe 70% strength and when you put on full lights at night my led strips actually turn on to full strength . ???
h) Where can I get all the stuff I need to do this .
i) I'm have no idea about what I am attempting to do here , the only thing I know is what I want it to look like when its done .
j) Where can I get everything I need to do this job and I want to keep costs to a min..
I would really appreciate anyones help with the above .
Thank You..
The Frollic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-15, 12:39 PM   #2

Not trying to sound offensive but if you need to ask all those questions you should be asking yourself if getting an auto electrician to carry out the work is the way to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-15, 01:44 PM   #3
Inactive User

Ya you are right Storeman and no offence taken but I dont intend to do the work myself but still need to answer the questions I asked cos I intend to get the materials myself so I can get the look I want ie size , background colour black / white , so I need to know can it be done , exactly what I need , where I can get it , can I connect it to my parking lights and if I do that will it mess up those lights or fuses ect , does it need to be a dim-mable type ,what strength and general details of what I need to get for my guy to do it . I live in an area where I dont have easy access to the materials I need so ebay is probably my best option where I can go through different options in a no-pressure environment and pick what I need so any help you Mr Storeman or any other knowledgeable guy can give me would be very much appreciated ..Thank You

Old 12-06-15, 01:51 PM   #4

Fair comment.

Personally I wouldn't want to piggyback onto the existing DRL's so if it was me I would be looking at a kit which comes with a controller to automatically switch them on at the right intensity. It may well be acceptable but I wouldn't want to run the risk of upsetting the canbus. A good auto-electrician should know if this is or isn't a possible solution.

I've looked at several LED DRL 'kits' and they are not all equal. Many of them simply have a positive and negative wire to connect to an ignition switched live so would be on at full intensity all the time the ignition is on regardles of the engine running or not. The most expensive have a true controller that monitors the ignition, lights etc. and controls the LED's to operate within the law. Thes kits are meant as an aftermarket solution for older cars without factory DRL's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-15, 03:34 PM   #5
Inactive User

Default extra led's on new Peugeot 308

Thank You so much Mr Storeman ...I think from my very limited knowledge your advice sounds very sound and sensible . Now to annoy you further , what exactly do I need and where can I get it .. From what you are saying I need my guy to wire these led's seperately from existing wiring but controlled with the headlights ? . Thank You ...
Old 12-06-15, 03:39 PM   #6

Did a quick google for aftermarket daytime running light kits and this one came up. I didn't look any further. This on is quite pricey though.

LEDriving LG | LED Exterior lighting | OSRAM

Old 13-06-15, 10:48 AM   #7
Inactive User

Default LED Lights for Peugeot

Hi There Mr Storeman . Thank you so much for all your expert advice , I went to your recommended link for equip and while it is a little expensive it seems to tick all the boxes I want . This is the first time I've ever used this or any forum ever and so because of your help I've found it fantastic . I just wanted to be a little more knowledgeable on what I wanted and where I could get it . Just as a matter of interest do you use the forum often as in for specific info or is it something you have a look at generally on a regular basis ? Once again Thank You..
Old 13-06-15, 05:26 PM   #8

Your welcome.

I look into this forum a few times a day as time allows.

I'm quite active with over 3100 posts. I knew very little about Peugeots when I joined and most of what I now know is down to the information and advice given freely by the members on the forum.

Most members will help if they have experience of a particular problem or have read about similar problems and how they were resolved.

The kit in that link may well tick all the boxes but you may find something very similar on amazon for a better price. I'd be a bit careful of buying something like that from ebay as a lot of the sellers will be Chinese businesses and the kits they sell may not comply with the legal requirements in the UK

Last edited by storeman; 13-06-15 at 05:28 PM.
Old 15-06-15, 07:28 PM   #9
Inactive User

Hi There Mr Storeman , Once again your advice and help is fantastic . Thank you so much .. When you said you have a look at the forum daily ,I initially thought why would anyone want to look through the forum with nothing specific in mind . That was an hour ago , that hour been spent just looking through the forum at different things, problems ,advice ect...obviously I'm hooked ... Thanks for that , I think ..I see you drive a 2011 . 308 hdi , that was my last car and I hated parting with it but like to change my car every 3 years or so . It was a lovely car , never gave me one once of trouble .
As an aside I got 55 to 58 mpg .so it was very economical ..Cant say that for the new peugeot 308 1.6 diesel Allure model, have it about six weeks and mpg is more like 46/48 but have been told by garage this will improve as time goes by ,,!! well they would , would'nt they . Anyways time will tell ...
Anyone out there with experience of the fuel consumption of the new 308 , i.6 Diesel ....
Old 16-06-15, 07:48 AM   #10

The forum members helped me out when I first joined in 2013 and knew nothing about Peugeots. This is the reason I'm as active as I am though there are other members far more active than I am.

With the experiences I've gained over 40 years, Mr Haynes manuals and the forum members I have learned a lot about Peugeots and kept my cars running even though I was covering in excess of 600 miles every week in a 10 year old car with 170k on the clock.

Now I have some knowledge and experience with the marque I want to give back to the forum by trying to help others who are in the same position I was back in 2013. Active members are the life blood of any forum and this one has a lot of knowledgeable and helpful members, way too many to list. It's very rewarding when someone tells you that you helped them sort out a problem with their car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in