Diamond Cut Alloy - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-01-19, 08:41 AM   #1

Default Diamond Cut Alloy

All four of my 18 inch diamond cut alloys are in pristine condition apart from one little spec, about a centimetre long on the left rear.

It hasn't been kerbed in any way but looks as if the polished surface is in some way "eroding". I'm not sure that is the best way to explain it but my vocabulary is failing me this morning.

Anyone experienced this / have any tips to halt this process outwith having the whole alloy refurbed?

It is such a small spec that no one would notice it however my OCD has kicked in and I'm worried that over time it will get worse.

I keep the car clean and use a wheel protector every time it is washed but I notice that it is ever so slightly worse each time I go to wash it.

Ideas?
2Stevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 14-01-19, 08:50 AM   #2

Hi...sadly it sounds like alloy corrosion under the lacquer on the wheel,(not sure if they are still lacquered these days)....perhaps a picture would help..could have been caused by a stone chip ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007.. 407swgt...2018..3008 1.6 thp gt line auto...owned most models since 1985...phew..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
noddy-hol is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14-01-19, 01:13 PM   #3

Yep, still lacquered. It is just corrosion under the lacquer. As a temp fix you can sand over the affected area and respray with clear lacquer. Hopefully will stop it from spreading?

Hopefully it won't need to be re-cut
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 14-01-19, 10:05 PM   #4

Your both spot on.

I took a good look at it again when I got home today and it does in fact look like it may have been a bad stone chip that subsequently allowed moisture behind the laquor.

A DIY job is out the question for me Im afraid....anything under the bonnet - yes, this sort of work - no chance. Id defo make it worse. Might take it to a local wheel refurb place and see if they can a local repair like you say.
noddy-hol likes this.
Old 14-01-19, 11:07 PM   #5

I believe the process of repairing diamond cut wheels is a little more complicated than a standard painted alloy even if your just looking to get it re laquered rather than cut.
I would recommend a business trained in diamond cut wheels rather than just a local wheel refurb business as the alloy face is porous and you can end up with bubbles in the laquer if carried out incorrectly. I've seen very skilled painters struggle to get a good finish on diamond cut alloys just through inexperience with these particular wheels. I've also seen a lot of wheels that have sanded back to remove damage/ kerbing and then they have tried to blow in silver paint afterwards, from a distance to be fair they are not to bad but obviously wrong when up close, a full re cut would set you back around 150 per wheel though.
CpLuAg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-01-19, 06:37 PM   #6

You can only re-cut the wheels a certain amount of times before they must be re-sprayed. Diamond cut wheels look great when new..... but utter shite to live with
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-01-19, 08:47 PM   #7

Your right about diamond cut alloys having a limit on how many times they can be cut but not until they need re spraying rather until they become unserviceable and need to be replaced, they will need to be re laquered after every cut.
CpLuAg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-01-19, 10:18 PM   #8

Please find attached the mark in question. Feel free to mock my high level of OCD with this one as I know it wouldn't bother most.......I think I'll leave it as is just now, monitor it whilst keeping it clean and protected as much as I can.

Before anyone sais it, yes it is on the outer rim but it hasnt been kerbed in any way as previously stated.
Attached Thumbnails
screenshot_20190115-231125_1547594139580.jpg   screenshot_20190115-231108_1547594229477.jpg  
Old 12-02-19, 06:38 PM   #9

I had this problem with a diamond cut Golf wheel. A local wheel guy did some very fine sanding and buffing to a shine. Perfect, you would never have known the fault was there. 10.
On that man's advice, I lightly sprayed in with clear lacquer and buffed with metal polish. Good as new.
Dimucci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-19, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimucci View Post
I had this problem with a diamond cut Golf wheel. A local wheel guy did some very fine sanding and buffing to a shine. Perfect, you would never have known the fault was there. 10.
On that man's advice, I lightly sprayed in with clear lacquer and buffed with metal polish. Good as new.
Sounds great! Wish I knew a guy like that. Every company Ive spoken to are very much in the mindset of a full recut.

Where is this guy based?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in