Car waxing - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-18, 09:39 AM   #1

Default Car waxing

Hi, just taken delivery of my 3008 and its gleaming black and i would like to keep it looking as good as possible. Does anyone have any recommendations of either polish or wax that they use ?
Attached Thumbnails
1520505478874_1520505507801.jpg  
bornboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-18, 10:43 AM   #2

Congratulations on your new car I recommend using Swissvax Cleaner Fluid Regular (polish with no fillers) and Swissvax Shield. Quality products that are super easy to work with!

https://www.swissvax.co.uk/merchant....Code=SE1015110
Old 08-03-18, 10:48 AM   #3

This is just my subject! haha, and to be honest it's a very big subject, but i'll stick to the basics.

Nice colour I owned a black Civic for 8 years before getting the 3008, and black is THE colour worst affected by defects you can cause from a poor washing technique.

The good analogy I heard recently which explains this is with a tupperware container. When you buy a brand new container it looks so clear and perfect, but over time it starts getting scratched and cloudy. This is basically what happens to the clear coat which sits on top of the paint. If you wash a car poorly you will inflict micro scratches and swirls which over time will make the paint work look dull. That's why brand new cars look so much better, in a different league of shine, because people wash their cars poorly.

This is what you want to be doing as a basic routine (I recently posted this elsewhere):

1) Use a pressure washer first to remove the lose dirt (Preferably with snow foam via a snow lance and snow foam.
2) Use the 2 bucket method with a wash mitt to make sure clean water is going back on the car (check youtube)
3) Apply Polish/Glaze the car
4) Wax the car for long term protection

Steps 3 and 4 can just be done every 2 months+ (Edit - I'm not referring to using a DA or abrasive polish every 2 months!) , but for a weekly "maintenance" wash you can use a "Quick Detailer" loads are available, AutoGlym Aqua Wax is pretty good. This tops up your wax and makes it easy to dry.

Those are the steps people should be following at a very basic level. Do NOT take it to a public car wash or hand wash, if you want to maintain the new finish you have now

With regards to actual products, I'm not sure where you live, so don't know what's available to your area.

Some hard wearing, long term waxes:
Collinite 476
Fusso

If you have any more questions though, feel free to ask.

Last edited by philljp; 08-03-18 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Edited for the pedantic
philljp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-18, 10:56 AM   #4

Thanks very much for your great advice. This is the most money i have spent on a car so i want to make sure i look after it properly.
Old 08-03-18, 11:14 AM   #5

If you want performance for a decent price, try Bilt Hamber's wax. Double Speed if you just want to get it done easily and Finis Wax if you want something that's harder wearing. (Double speed on mine... applied last in november.... last remnants still on and I've been through a few auto car washes!)

The rest .... as the previous poster said. Two bucket and always wash yourself, you would be better off not washing for longer periods of time than going to a public car wash
BiGK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-18, 11:22 AM   #6

Yeah Bilt Hamber make some of the best products out there. Angelwax stuff is also really good.
Old 08-03-18, 11:24 AM   #7

Lol thanks very much for the recommendations, actually looking forward to washing the car now, never thought i would be saying that !!
Old 08-03-18, 11:27 AM   #8

One thing that a lot of people rush is wheels. Treat your allows with the same respect you do your paintwork.

Here's a basic list

1. Autosmart SmartWheels (Sprayed on alloys and left 5-10 to do its work) Also agitate with a detailing brush to get into small areas)
2. Jetwash off cleaning wheel arches also.
3. Snowfoam entire car leaving 5-10 mins to soften dirt.
4. Rinse
5. Few squirts of Autosmart Duet in one bucket and clean water in another cleaning one panel at a time rinsing your mitt thoroughly between panels.
6. At step 5 only do the top 3/4 of car.
7. Now with a different mitt do the lower part of the car.
8. Rinse
9. Dry gently with a Microfiber drying towel.
10. Apply wax (2 coats the first time) (Soft Fusso99 Dark would be good for your black car and because it is synthetic can last up to 12 months. Though I would probably do every 4 or whenever you fancy.
11. Remove wax with an edgeless microfiber cloth.
12. Apply a hard wearing wax like Collinite to your alloys.
13. Apply dressing to your tyres (Meguiars Endurance)

This is the minimum you should be doing lots more you can do. It looks like a lot but when you get into it you can do very quick. Also once waxed dirt will come off much easier.
Old 08-03-18, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by philljp View Post
3) Apply Polish/Glaze the car
4) Wax the car for long term protection

Steps 3 and 4 can just be done every 2 months+,
If you polish your car every other month, you are going to ruin your paint for life.

The idea behind polish is to rinse the paint and/or (depending on the cut) remove a thin layer of clear coat (that's how swirls and defects in the paint are removed). How many years will your paint last if you remove a layer 6 times a year?

All kinds of "polish" that have fillers in it to hide swirls are waste of money. Why? If you use a polish with cut, you do a wipedown to remove all oils after the polishing to be able to verify that all defects are gone.
Refstar and TrainDriver like this.
Old 08-03-18, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agmuns View Post
If you polish your car every other month, you are going to ruin your paint for life.

The idea behind polish is to rinse the paint and/or (depending on the cut) remove a thin layer of clear coat (that's how swirls and defects in the paint are removed). How many years will your paint last if you remove a layer 6 times a year?

All kinds of "polish" that have fillers in it to hide swirls are waste of money. Why? If you use a polish with cut, you do a wipedown to remove all oils after the polishing to be able to verify that all defects are gone.
Oh dear, I didn't want this to turn into a die hard detailing convo, and trying to keep it simple lol. This is not a detailing forum.

I'm not referring to using a DA on the car every 2 months! I don't think the OP will be using one at all. I'm referring to the more consumer "polishes" and glazes like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (Which yes isn't actually a true polish) and other glazes which don't have any abrasives.

Basically, the aim is to make the paint work look as nice and shiney as you can with whatever time/money you have. Polishes and glazes with fillers are a great option for the normal person that's not into true detailing.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in