Alloy wheel colouring - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Detailing and Gadgets
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-10-14, 08:00 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Alloy wheel colouring

Sooooo I'm thinking, just thinking mind, about maybe colouring my alloys (standard grey 17" Challenger alloys, pics of my car here...https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...my-car-105961/ )

I'm thinking black possibly gloss.

So, do I get them done professionally? Painted or coated? Or do it myself? I imagine DIY would be a lot cheaper and easily repairable. Has anyone done this and can offer any advice?
Appreciated
RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="DimGray"]307 HDi XSi 136[/COLOR]
Rumblestrip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16-10-14, 10:54 PM   #2
CAB

From what I'm told powder coating is harder wearing.

I've always though BMW sparkling graphite looked good on a set of alloys.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 17-10-14, 01:07 PM   #3
Inactive User

personally I think standard alloys painted black look crap, but that's just my opinion

I'd get them done by a pro though, as Cris says powder coating is more durable and I think is what most people tend to go for today if you're changing colour completely

Old 17-10-14, 01:42 PM   #4

Sebasteeno always painted his alloys black, did them himself iirc

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...two-sws-14956/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 Iron Grey 136bhp 2.0 hdi SE .........Written off
2006 Icelandic Grey 136bhp 2.0HDI SE......Written off
2006 Silver 136bhp 2.0hdi SE......Current car
Join us on FB "Peugeot 407 uk"
trem1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 19-10-14, 08:52 AM   #5
Inactive User

Definetly not black, I have always had mine done by a local firm 25, a wheel . Powder coated and stoved . Depends on what you want and how often you might hit a curb. I would wait until after the winter months too. Peter
welder1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-15, 04:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by welder1 View Post
Definetly not black, I have always had mine done by a local firm 25, a wheel . Powder coated and stoved . Depends on what you want and how often you might hit a curb. I would wait until after the winter months too. Peter
Good price - where from mate (I'm in Sittingbourne)
Chris RM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-15, 11:08 PM   #7
Inactive User

Na, I wouldn't go black mate, as soon as black DIY's get curbed or stone chipped the Alloy underneath sticks out like a soar thumb, not only that but you wouldn't think that road dirt would show up as much as it really does on black wheels, even brake dust is really visible when dry and baked in. why not try a gun metal metallic base and a clear coat to seal after for a good durable sheen? would look propa on your motor!
JarvisDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-15, 11:12 PM   #8
Inactive User

Ps. if you do a DIY job on them, when they have dried and set properly and you putting them back on the car, run a strip of masking tape (low tack) around the inner nut recess before you put the nuts back in and tighten. the last thing you'd want is dirty spanner scraped on new paint!
JarvisDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-15, 09:36 AM   #9

Fully agree with the "no black" theme - I have had a couple of sets done in the past - always gone for metalic gunmetal/graphite colours! I am contemplating a DIY jobbie but it will probably have to wait until the warmer weather!
Chris RM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-15, 04:23 PM   #10
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris RM View Post
Fully agree with the "no black" theme - I have had a couple of sets done in the past - always gone for metalic gunmetal/graphite colours! I am contemplating a DIY jobbie but it will probably have to wait until the warmer weather!
I have been noticing some cars with black alloys and they look at first glance like the cheap steel wheels under hub caps. Some cars also makes them look considerably worse, as if they had been recovered off a scrap yard! (IMHO)
FourOaksMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in