Residual current drain in Boxer 2.2 x250 - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Boxer
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-02-15, 09:29 AM   #1

Default Residual current drain in Boxer 2.2 x250

Hi, I have been having problems with my battery going flat over a week in our Boxer van. It is a 2007 Motorhome on a SWB Boxer Chassis. The engine is a 100 HP 2.2 hdi.

I know that these vans are known for flattening batteries over a few weeks but mine seems to be worse that it used to be. The battery is one year old.

With everything switched off and a fully charged battery I have measured 0.41 amps.

If I leave the battery disconnected after fully charging the battery, I can start the engine with no real problem after a week but if I leave the battery connected and it is dead.

If I work out the total current over a week, I get 7 x 24 x 0.41 = 70 amp/ hours and the battery is (I think ) about 110 amp hr.

Any suggestions as to whether I have an electrical fault or a dud battery.
dieseljohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24-02-15, 06:35 PM   #2
Inactive User

Max drain should be no more than 0.02 amps. Slightly higher for later models but 0.4 will definitely drain the battery, as you have found out !
Easiest but not exactly quick is when testing the drain remove one fuse at a time from the fuse boxes and see if the drain returns to around 0.02 amps.If it does then repeat with the rest of the fuses in case any components share the same fuse. Not exact but it will give you a rough area to start if you look to see which components this fuse feeds.
Techal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 24-02-15, 09:16 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techal View Post
Max drain should be no more than 0.02 amps. Slightly higher for later models but 0.4 will definitely drain the battery, as you have found out !
Easiest but not exactly quick is when testing the drain remove one fuse at a time from the fuse boxes and see if the drain returns to around 0.02 amps.If it does then repeat with the rest of the fuses in case any components share the same fuse. Not exact but it will give you a rough area to start if you look to see which components this fuse feeds.
Thanks for the information, much appreciated. As I mentioned in my post, the van is the base unit for our motorhome and when I connect the battery I can here what sound like two or more relays clicking so I think the problem may be linked to the motorhome circuit. I will try dropping that side out first as the van battery can also be used to power the domestic side of the motorhome if the leisure battery gets tired.

Old 01-03-15, 02:16 PM   #4
Inactive User

I don't know if it is relevant, but I had a similar probllem on my 206, hardly a motorhome....anyway, after performing a reset of the EMU, the quiescent current dropped to an acceptable level. Details and readings can be found here, maybe the same on other Pugs of that age....
minetymenace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-15, 11:04 AM   #5

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by minetymenace View Post
I don't know if it is relevant, but I had a similar probllem on my 206, hardly a motorhome....anyway, after performing a reset of the EMU, the quiescent current dropped to an acceptable level. Details and readings can be found here, maybe the same on other Pugs of that age....
Interesting post about the time for the current to drop. Have decided to put the van into dealer as I don't really know what is going on with these Canbus systems and may end up causing another fault by drawing fuses.
Old 16-03-15, 06:00 PM   #6

Default Still no further forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techal View Post
Van has been in at the main Peugeot dealers and they are adamant that 0.4 amps is OK and are now saying it may be the battery capacity is down.

I just don't buy the 0.4 amps. If you take 0.4 x 24 hours you get approx 10 amp hours. Over a week that would be 70% of a fully charged 100 AH battery in good nic.

They are putting the battery on a full charge overnight and will let me know tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards
John
Old 25-06-18, 07:24 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Geezer63 Send a message via MSN to Geezer63 Send a message via Yahoo to Geezer63
Default Long time gone!

I know this thread is very old, but it is a very familiar problem for me too. I have a 2004 Boxer 2.2 HDi. The parasitic drain varies between 130 and 160 milliamps, I have a brand new battery in it. The offending fuses are numbers 39 (interior lighting-EOBD diagnostic socket) and number 34 (chronotachograph, telephone, alarm, remote control, air conditioning control). I donít have telephone or air conditioning in the van. With these two fuses removed, the drain is 13 milliamps. Fuse 39 draws about 78 milliamps, 34 fluctuates greatly between 35 to 80 milliamps. Any ideas on what this could be will be greatly appreciated.
Geezer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in