Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDi Gearbox. - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Boxer
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-13, 09:23 AM   #1

Default Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDi Gearbox.

Hi folks this is my first thread so please be gentle with me.

This is going to be a bit long winded and i apologise in advance.

I have a 2006 Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDi based Motorhome and i need some info about the Gearbox please.

From new i suffered with a really stiff Gear Change especially if the vehicle had not been used for a while and after numerous attempts by the dealer at cleaning and lubricating the cables someone told me to change the Oil and it worked a treat.

I`m about to change the Gear Oil again and i`m getting conflicting info from different dealers about how much oil to re-fill it with.

I already know that it is filled with a measured quantity though the breather on top of the casing

The first time i changed it i looked in the manual and i couldn`t find a quantity so i rang the dealer that had done the PDI and they told me 1.85 Litres which i wrote down in the manual and that`s what i used and it worked fine.

This time however the same dealer is now saying 2.7 Litres and others say different quantities as well.

I`ve now been told quantities ranging from 1.85 litres through to 2.7 Litres and one even told me to fill it right to the top !

Can someone please tell me if this is a " Model Number / Code " anywhere on the box ?

I have already found " 20UM05 and 6540901 " which are Punch Marked into the Diff casing but i wonder if there are anymore ?

I`m looking to find out if it is a " ML5T 5/1 or a MLGU5 5/1 or a MLUC 5/1 " ?

I know that the different boxes use different amounts of Gear Oil and i`m concerned that it`s been " Under filled " for the past 4 years.

I`ve E-mailed Peugeot who just send me a link to the User Manual which i already have and does not show the info i need.

I`ve had the Motorhome from new and so have all the manuals paperwork etc. and it is parked at the side of my house so is easy to look for more info.

I`ve already asked this question on a couple of Motorhome Forums but i`m just getting the usual " Ask the Dealer "or " Fill it up to the level plug " which it hasn`t got.

I would be very grateful if anyone could throw some light on this.

Thank You Very Much.

Last edited by Wooie; 03-02-13 at 10:13 AM.
Wooie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-13, 12:08 PM   #2

20UM05 Is the version code this tells you diff ratios etc if you can find the data !

6540901 looks like the peugeot part number but most likely only for the casing

ML5T 5/1 or a MLGU5 5/1 or a MLUC 5/1 are all variations of the same basic gearbox and i would expect all to hold the same amount but whoever said fill it to the top can be ignored

I would expect around 2 litres to be correct thats what we put in out gearboxes and they are similar to yours

So from what you have given i would say you have an ML5 type box and the version is 20UM05
reliable406 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-13, 01:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliable406 View Post
20UM05 Is the version code this tells you diff ratios etc if you can find the data !

6540901 looks like the peugeot part number but most likely only for the casing

ML5T 5/1 or a MLGU5 5/1 or a MLUC 5/1 are all variations of the same basic gearbox and i would expect all to hold the same amount but whoever said fill it to the top can be ignored

I would expect around 2 litres to be correct thats what we put in out gearboxes and they are similar to yours

So from what you have given i would say you have an ML5 type box and the version is 20UM05

Hi and Thank You for the response.

I have found out the following regarding Gearboxes and Capacities :-

ML5T 5/1....................... 1.85 Litres

MLGU5 5/1..................... 2.7 Litres

MLUC 5/1...................... 2.1 Litres...Service Fill.
2.4 Litres..Dry Fill.

All of these boxes are shown as fitted to the 2006 2.8 HDi

I just need to find out now which box i actually have.

The Peugeot dealer that first told me 1.85 litres ( 4 years back ) is now saying 2.7 Litres and this discrepancy only came about whilst i was ordering new Gear Oil and they said " 2 X 1 Litre " wasn`t enough and i needed 3.

I`ve tried everything i can possibly think of and the opinion seems to be split half and half between 1.85 and 2.7.

I`ve contacted several Peugeot dealers in my area and all the Motor Factors i can and using their Databases from the VIN number and Registration it`s still split.

This is why i was hoping that the Gearbox Code might be " Stamped " on it somewhere.
Wooie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 26-03-13, 09:01 AM   #4
Inactive User

Default oil level for 20um05 gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooie View Post
Hi folks this is my first thread so please be gentle with me.

This is going to be a bit long winded and i apologise in advance.

I have a 2006 Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDi based Motorhome and i need some info about the Gearbox please.

From new i suffered with a really stiff Gear Change especially if the vehicle had not been used for a while and after numerous attempts by the dealer at cleaning and lubricating the cables someone told me to change the Oil and it worked a treat.

I`m about to change the Gear Oil again and i`m getting conflicting info from different dealers about how much oil to re-fill it with.

I already know that it is filled with a measured quantity though the breather on top of the casing

The first time i changed it i looked in the manual and i couldn`t find a quantity so i rang the dealer that had done the PDI and they told me 1.85 Litres which i wrote down in the manual and that`s what i used and it worked fine.

This time however the same dealer is now saying 2.7 Litres and others say different quantities as well.

I`ve now been told quantities ranging from 1.85 litres through to 2.7 Litres and one even told me to fill it right to the top !

Can someone please tell me if this is a " Model Number / Code " anywhere on the box ?

I have already found " 20UM05 and 6540901 " which are Punch Marked into the Diff casing but i wonder if there are anymore ?

I`m looking to find out if it is a " ML5T 5/1 or a MLGU5 5/1 or a MLUC 5/1 " ?

I know that the different boxes use different amounts of Gear Oil and i`m concerned that it`s been " Under filled " for the past 4 years.

I`ve E-mailed Peugeot who just send me a link to the User Manual which i already have and does not show the info i need.

I`ve had the Motorhome from new and so have all the manuals paperwork etc. and it is parked at the side of my house so is easy to look for more info.

I`ve already asked this question on a couple of Motorhome Forums but i`m just getting the usual " Ask the Dealer "or " Fill it up to the level plug " which it hasn`t got.

I would be very grateful if anyone could throw some light on this.

Thank You Very Much.
these gearboxes suffer from lack of lubrication especialy on the 5th gears.
i have rebuilt quite a few of these boxes and always fill them with 2.7 lts of oil
it does not matter which model it is as they all use the same size rear gearbox casing and diff housing. 1.87 lts would lead to problems with the gears especialy on motorway journeys due to overheating the oil
bobstorey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in