New Owner, 2011, 3.0L, 134K miles - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Boxer
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-19, 03:23 PM   #1

Default New Owner, 2011, 3.0L, 134K miles

Hi everybody,

Just joined this forum after purchasing my first Boxer van. As I state above it's a 2011 3.0L version, 4L3H model with 134K miles on the clock.
It's a tad tatty and lots of bits need cleaning or replacing but I've bought it to convert to a camper so I'm not too bothered.
Underneath it's never been waxoiled so there's a fair bit of surface rust.

I bought it from a dealer in Scotland (I'm in Bury, North Manchester). After taking it for a test drive, the only thing apart from the tattiness was the way the engine starts and stops. When you turn the key, the starter motor seems slow to turn then suddenly the engine springs into life. Similarly when turning the engine off, the engine stops quite abruptly. Is this a foible of this engine having done 134K miles or a symptom of binding from the starter motor perhaps?

On the return journey back the van drove well until exiting the M61 at J5. First the battery charge light came on. I was only 7 miles from home so I thought if it's just a dicky alternator I can get home and sort it out later. A couple of miles later the temperature shot up and the 'red' stop light came on. I immediately pulled over and parked up. After getting out of the van, I was met with water streaming out from where I thought the cam belt should be (I didn't realise at this point this engine has a chain). Anyway, cut a long story short, a breakdown truck, a week in the garage, a new water pump, belts and tensioners and 650 lighter, the van is back with me and it's driving how it did before. The dealer who I bought it from has stumped up 400 towards the repair costs (I bought it with a 30 day warranty on the gearbox and engine).

In doing my research when looking for a van, I think I'd looked at so many, that the one I bought had a little anomaly on the dot GOV site regarding MOT. I noticed it at the time but then forgot about it. It seems it didn't have one (maybe was never put in for it) between 2018 and 2019. It has a new one now until 2020 (I bought it with one) but I'm now wondering whether the van has been standing for a significant length of time and things have 'seized' or 'binded' up more than you'd want. I wonder if it's only a matter of time before something else goes?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more questions for you all later, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Al
AlCampervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-19, 11:05 AM   #2

Hi Alcampervan, as for the starter sounding slow and the abrupt stop of the engine, that sounds normal to me. I have a 2012 3.0Hdi in South Africa which does the same. The sudden stop of the engine is normal for diesels due their high compression.
KCW031NW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-19, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a Citroen Berlingo diesel Multispace (1.9) since 2007 so I thought I was used to diesel engines. I've also had numerous Hymer motorhomes which all have a Fiat or Iveco 2.5 TD for almost 20 years. Maybe it's because it's a newer diesel and also bigger horsepower that I can't get used to having to turn the ignition for longer when starting the van from cold. It also seems to like a little revving at start up which I never used to do on the old (1995) motorhomes or the Berlingo. Is that normal or should I pump the accelarator once or twice before starting the engine?

Once it's running, it's fine (and fast) and slightly thirsty. I think I'll be lucky to get more than 30 MPG but maybe with less acceleration I might manage more. I'm conscious to try to get the gear ratio right and keep the revs at 1500RPM. Will this give me the maximum fuel economy if I do?
Thanks
Al

Old 11-06-19, 01:07 PM   #4

Default Leon

Hi Al, yes I am also impressed with the power and torque of the Boxer, I draw a fairly heavy (1,800kg) trailer at times and the Boxer has no problems hauling it. I Have the L4H2 version and I use it for small transport jobs.
I do not touch the accelerator at all before cold starts, not even now in winter when it is between 1 and 6 degrees Celsius in the morning, and it starts within one or two turns. When hot, the engine sometimes takes a few more turns to start.
When driving empty I get 9l/100km (about 31mpg) and laden about 28. I have adopted a light footed driving style, using the engine's torque to shift gears between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm.
Just for interest sake, the diesel price in my area of South Africa is now
0.9 British Pound per liter, I think that is around 4.5 Pounds per gallon.
Do you maybe know if this 3.0 Hdi engine is a Peugeot engine or another brand?
Attached Thumbnails
boxertrailer.jpg  
KCW031NW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-19, 02:02 PM   #5

Hi, I've just bought the van to turn into a campervan. At the moment I have a few weeks work left using the van just as transport, so I haven't had a chance yet to really sort it out. My van came with two different keys, one works the ignition and the other one the driver's door. Neither seem to fit the back doors and the central locking doesn't seem to work from the fob, so that is something I need to sort out when I get a moment. I am adopting a light foot approach and as you say, changing gears at or below 2000RPM. I'll report more when I get chance to get under the hood hopefully in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-07-19, 09:19 PM   #6

I'm now trying to source some locks for the doors.

Has anyone got any experience of these and are they the sort of thing I should be fitting.

Which is best?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-B...MAAOSwPJxbfpXQ

https://vangadgets.co.uk/security_do...l_vehicles.htm

Thanks,
Al

Last edited by AlCampervan; 09-07-19 at 09:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in