Boxer starting problem (2.5 non turbo) Y reg - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Boxer
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-08, 05:43 PM   #1

Default Boxer starting problem (2.5 non turbo) Y reg

Hi,

I have a Boxer 320M, 2.5 non-turbo, (DJ5 engine), registered in 2001 on a Y plate. I have recently had the g/box rebuilt and a new LUK clutch fitted and have just completed the fitting of a new timing belt.

Prior to the fitting of said timing belt, the van started easy enough, but seemed to "miss" on the fourth stroke and a little puff of smoke was noticable on this stroke.

When I had the g/box overhauled, the mechanic, (when questioned about the above problem), said it could be one of the following:

1. Timing out
2. Glow plug/s bad
3. Injector/s need recalibrating

As I couldn't be certain of the milage and bought the van sold as seen with no warranty from BCA, I had every intention of changing the belt to be on the safe side.

I purchased the Peter Russek workshop manual for this van, (also for the Relay and Ducato), as Haynes don't currently have one for this engine/van. Not the best of instruction, (seems to be biased towards the 1.9 unit), but I'm not an idiot and like to get my hands dirty, so the "basics" were all I needed.

I have now changed the belt, (try getting the right locking tools for the timing/injection. Nightmare Give Laser tools a call and ask for the technical department and they will check Autodata for you and get the tools that match the OEM part numbers).

FINALLY (), this is my problem. The van will now just turn over, eventually running the battery down in the process. It's "almost" there as far as starting is concerned, but it's as if there is a fuel starvation problem now and just fails to actually ignite. There is also a noticable "grey/brown" smoke from the exhaust as I turn it over.

Now, here's the worrying part. As anyone who owns one of these will know, this van has the Bosch fuel injection unit fitted, (well, mine does anyway). It has been noted by an assisstant that as the van is turned over, the fuel leaks, quite consierably, from somewhere near the top of the fuel pump, (that being the one fitted to the front of the engine, on the left hand side, just in front of the cam belt pulley). There is a large spring just underneath what is some kind of microswitch, and it looks like this is where the fuel is escaping from.

The only thing I did was to apply pressured steam to the engine to remove old oil whilst I had the timing belt off and also cleaned the fuel pump whilst I was at it.

Is there anything I might have knocked/affected with the steam, (I have cleaned it in this way prior to the belt change with no ill affects). Are there any problems I don't know about with the Bosch system that anyone could enlighten me to?

It really is frustrating me now and costing me a lot of money in down time. Any help/info/suggestions will be GREATLY received and appreciated. I'm stumped and I don't like to be defeated by simple mechanical devices.

Thanking you in advance in the hope of some much needed help, onetruecharlatan
onetruecharlatan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-08-08, 03:49 PM   #2

Default Boxer starting problem - same here!

Just wondering whether you had any joy with fixing this problem mate?

I have a similar problem with my 94 2.5 non-t in that it won't bang either!
Have tried a replacement stop solenoid but still no joy. I read somewhere of an immobiliser on the Bosch fuel pumps, is this the stop solenoid or is there another immobilising method/mechanism on these pumps?

Have also changed filter, cleaned bowl, pump appears to be getting fuel but I don't believe it's getting to the injectors as having taken a pipe off the pump I don't see fuel spitting out when cranking the engine.

Any advice would be gratfully received
b0xer94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 15-09-08, 03:35 PM   #3

Hi, sorry about the wait for a reply, but since my post I've uncovered all sorts of horrors with this van that the previous "carer" left me with .

With regards to the troublesome starting, I had it transported to a local diesel mechanic soon after my post and as it happens, my timing wasn't quite right. He corrected the timing, and at my request, fitted new glow plugs and recalibrated the injectors for me.

I must say, it made a massive improvement to the engine, although to be frank, the 2.5 non-turbo unit is pretty gutless. She no longer smokes at all, starts first time, but I have also just fitted a new bush box to the starter motor, as it gave up the ghost last week. Upon inspection of the starter, the internals were caked in old grease, "bits" of something or other , and was generally in a bad way, like the rest of the van when I purchased it.

Having said all that, if you aren't in a hurry and you like to spend all your time and money restoring old panel vans to their former glory, this is the van for you .

Currently having issues with the cooling. I had to junk both of the old cooling fans thanks to the previous "carer" again and have only managed to source the "big" fan as we speak. This isn't really enough to be honest and as I type this, I am trying to source both the small fan and the secondary thermostat as I believe that this is now also malfunctioning. GSF by the way DON'T stock these items, just incase anyone else is looking for one, so it's off to Peugeot to pay through the nose for their customer "service" .

onetruecharlatan - keep on keepin' on.
onetruecharlatan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in