Bonnet access - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise


Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Boxer
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-17, 01:26 PM   #1
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Unhappy Bonnet access

I have a Motorhome based on a boxer (2008). This morning I found the battery was flat. I could only access the cab with the key as the passenger door was deadlocked and the central locking wouldn't work. The radio was left on 2 weeks ago so has drained the battery.

I connected a battery charger directly to the battery terminals and heard a clicking sound from behind dashboard (I also noticed the clock digital clock lit, good sign). Concerned what the noise was I disconnected the charger and then reconnected. This time everything was dead. Not even a spark when connecting the charger.

So I'm thinking maybe the main fuse has gone so I need to lift the bonnet but as I cant open the passenger door to pull the catch I'm stuck as to what to do??

Any ideas please.
Yamman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-17, 01:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bradford
Posts: 4,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamman View Post
I have a Motorhome based on a boxer (2008). This morning I found the battery was flat. I could only access the cab with the key as the passenger door was deadlocked and the central locking wouldn't work. The radio was left on 2 weeks ago so has drained the battery.

I connected a battery charger directly to the battery terminals and heard a clicking sound from behind dashboard (I also noticed the clock digital clock lit, good sign). Concerned what the noise was I disconnected the charger and then reconnected. This time everything was dead. Not even a spark when connecting the charger.

So I'm thinking maybe the main fuse has gone so I need to lift the bonnet but as I cant open the passenger door to pull the catch I'm stuck as to what to do??

Any ideas please.
you should never connect a battery charger to a battery when it is still attached to a vehicle as it can damage the vehicle

are you sure the battery charger fuse has not blown there should be a fuse in plug and a fuse on the 12v output

can the bonnet catch not be pulled with the door shut?
__________________
Great deals on car keys contact me 07599587119
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-17, 02:02 PM   #3
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Hi Thanks for the reply.

Dealer said its ok to connect the charger to the battery terminals as long as I don't use the ignition.

The battery charger is ok I've checked it out.

No I can't get to the bonnet catch as it behind the passenger door!! On a left hand drive vehicle it would be the driver door and have key access!
Yamman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-17, 02:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bradford
Posts: 4,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamman View Post
Hi Thanks for the reply.

Dealer said its ok to connect the charger to the battery terminals as long as I don't use the ignition.

The battery charger is ok I've checked it out.

No I can't get to the bonnet catch as it behind the passenger door!! On a left hand drive vehicle it would be the driver door and have key access!
the dealer is wrong as it can damage electrics.

is there no key hole on the passenger side? does the handle on the inside not do anything?

you could take door card off and power the actuator to unlock the door, or you could try get to the cable for the bonnet catch
__________________
Great deals on car keys contact me 07599587119
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-17, 03:53 PM   #5
Inactive User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Hi TM,

What damage can a battery charger cause if not isolated from the vehicle?

Powering the actuator seems a good option if necessary.

Cheers
Yamman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-17, 11:00 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
trustme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: bradford
Posts: 4,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamman View Post
Hi TM,

What damage can a battery charger cause if not isolated from the vehicle?

Powering the actuator seems a good option if necessary.

Cheers
It can damage electronics
__________________
Great deals on car keys contact me 07599587119
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-17, 08:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Jersey CI
Posts: 2,369
Default

Not all the electronics are isolated when the ignition is switched off. You would have to study the circuit diagrams to discern which are still live.

Cheap mains-powered battery chargers have starting spikes and mains-frequency spikes on their output which do no harm to batteries, but can affect electronics. Higher quality changers do not have the spikes.

I use this one and have had no problems charging the battery without disconnecting. I would mistrust any charger in a molded plastic case with the handle molded-in, or any sold for less than (say) 30.

Last edited by IanML; 08-01-17 at 08:23 AM.
IanML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.