Battery warning light on all the time 1996 Boxer 2.5TD Motorhome - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Boxer
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-15, 07:35 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Battery warning light on all the time 1996 Boxer 2.5TD Motorhome

I have had my motorhome up to a local guy today (not my usual garage) to rectify some wiring problems with the scooter rack trailer board and the rear lights on the main van. Its been faulty for a while.

Eventually he fitted some new bits and got all the lights working, I think it needed some new wiring as well but I wasnt there.

When I collected the van I noticed that the battery warning light was on. It was fine when I drove it up there at lunch time. I think he left the ignition and lights on for a while when testing it and he blew a fuse twice while I was there while fiddling with the trailer board electrics.

Now when the engine is running on tick over the battery warning light is on. It gets brighter when you rev the engine. He put a volt meter on the battery when it was running and the alternator seems to be charging the battery. Its starts ok. When I drove it home it was on bright all the way back.

He reckons its nothing to do with the work he has carried out but it seems to coincidental to me. All he suggested was seeing if it went off after a drive or then taking the alternator off and testing it.

If it was the alternator would it show as not charging on the battery with the volt meter?

Any thoughts? 1 step forward and 2 back if you ask me!
barryd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-15, 01:56 AM   #2
Inactive User

This is normally a regulator fault within the alternator however some obscure earth faults can also cause this phenomenon and a lot of vehicles have an earth strap connected to the alternator. It is a bit difficult to think what he might have done that would cause this, does the motor home have an electrical control interface usually a small control panel and did he do anything to this or the fridge electrics, does the trailer board have twin electrics because often the control for the motorhome/caravan fridge power is taken from the charge light output of the alternator and that may be the problem. This is because things like the fridge are too heavy to run without the engine running and in vehicles with older technology the only real way you can electrically determine that the engine is running is the charging light, the same goes if you have a split charge system eg a second normally higher capacity leisure battery, the charging supply for this is probably controlled from the charge light output, that is where I would look first.Other unlikely causes can be charging the battery while it is still connected, charge and start units (mains powered ones) or use of electric welding equipment without first disconnecting the alternator alternatively it could just be a faulty alty. In summary the wiring of any interface panel should be double checked as well as any independent split charge system as it does sound like the bulb is being reverse fed, My money would be that is where the problem lies.

Last edited by renegade; 09-06-15 at 02:50 AM.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in