Battery charging - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Models > Vans > Boxer
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-03-14, 12:17 PM   #1
Inactive User

Question Battery charging

Hi, I am a relatively new owner of a 2013/4 registered motorhome built on a Boxer chassis.
When I bought it I was shown a +ve connection under the bonnet to which I was told I could attach the positive lead of my charger if necessary, the negative lead to go to the chassis.
I am going away to Canada for 5 weeks and am concerned that the starter battery will go flat as it is running all the standard Peugeot electronics plus an alarm and tracker.
I have been given conflicting advice as to the best way of keeping my battery charged and would welcome your thoughts on the best strategy to follow.
It will not be possible to plug this Motorhome into the mains once I have left UK so a permanent maintenance charge is not possible.
1 Get battery properly and fully charged by a CTEK charger before I go by using connection method above and leaving everything connected whilst it charges. Battery if fully charged will last for five weeks allegedly.
Have been told it is unsafe to charge with all connected as risk to electronics but surely these new super chargers cope with this situation ok?

Is it OK to charge via these under bonnet connectors, if not do I connect across the battery directly or +ve battery and negative to chassis?
Battery is a wet type do I have to undo all the vents whilst it is charging?

Any thoughts and good solid advice appreciated.
madge1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29-03-14, 01:01 PM   #2

Charging with a low current charger using the jump point is perfectly fine and will do no harm no need to disconnect anything.

Battery probably will last 5 weeks on a full charge but it depends on the current draw

Fit a solar panel to the roof as even without direct sunlight they do keep your battery topped up.
Old 29-03-14, 06:27 PM   #3
Inactive User

Question

Thanks for the response "reliable", just one final pretty dumb question!
I know I need to check the level of the electrolyte and top up with distilled water if necessary so I am assuming that I have to have the vent caps undone on the battery whilst it is charging?

Have every intention of fitting a solar panel as and when funds allow, have got to research the market first, as you so rightly say "assume nothing check everything twice !! "

Last edited by madge1; 29-03-14 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Old 29-03-14, 07:23 PM   #4

It should be fitted with a sealed battery which doesn't need to be opened to charge any 'maintenance' charger or a charger with 3 stages will keep it at a floating charge and always ready for use

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
m_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-03-14, 07:25 PM   #5

Old 29-03-14, 07:33 PM   #6
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_joseph View Post
It should be fitted with a sealed battery which doesn't need to be opened to charge any 'maintenance' charger or a charger with 3 stages will keep it at a floating charge and always ready for use

I don't disagree with you but this battery was supplied either by Peugeot or the MH manufacturer so who am I to say whether right or wrong. I assume by your response that the vents have to be open during charging?
Old 29-03-14, 07:47 PM   #7

If its a sealed battery then no you cannot open the vents, just read your post again if you can't leave a charger on to it. Check to see if you got a permanent live at the cigarette lighter you can either plug a solar panel charger in or just connect a secondary battery into it.

Old 29-03-14, 08:06 PM   #8
Inactive User

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_joseph View Post
If its a sealed battery then no you cannot open the vents, just read your post again if you can't leave a charger on to it. Check to see if you got a permanent live at the cigarette lighter you can either plug a solar panel charger in or just connect a secondary battery into it.

This seems to be getting confusing, well it is to me!
The battery fitted from new is not a sealed battery it is an old type wet battery with removable vent caps, I know because I have removed one to check!
No permanent live at cigarette lighter so have discarded solar panel idea.
Old 29-03-14, 09:35 PM   #9

It's very rare to see the old type battery with removable cell tops. The newer sealed batteries are still 'wet' batteries. I guess more advanced battery technology has improved them to the point where they no longer need the maintenance they used to require

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 29-03-14, 11:38 PM   #10

Slow charging ANY battery is fine as the current required is way less than the alternator will produce so no need to remove caps you are trying to make this harder than it is

Connect charger on a low setting and it will be fine the charger will regulate itself anyway I charge cars overnight all the time on low without disconnection so they are ready to go in morning when I get in NEVER had a problem.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in