Sheared locking wheel nut - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Bodyshop Techniques & Modifications
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-14, 02:18 PM   #1
Inactive User

Default Sheared locking wheel nut

Hi

got a prob with a sheared locking wheel nut. Ive taken it to a garage and they spent about an hr with a cobalt drill but gave up.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of drilling thru these nuts? Was thinking about buying a carbide drill bit and giving it another go (seeing as the garage has made headway of about a cm into the head). Or if anyone else has an idea or better solutions would be interested to hear them.

Glen
GLENTOM123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-14, 02:22 PM   #2
Inactive User

Yup, took me 7 hours to drill one off with hardened industrial drill bits.
All im going to say is good luck and get it off before you need it off.
I drilled a pilot holw of about 2mm then worked up until the head of the bolt came away, you dont want to drill all the way thru the bolt. Once the head is off remove the rest of teh bolts and the wheel and the remainin stud should come away by hand, or if needs be there should be enought left to get some pipe grips or molegrips onto the remainin thread.
Hope it goes well, take your time
Old 11-07-14, 02:27 PM   #3

Once you've drilled a pilot hole surely a screw extractor will undo it, they're under a tenner from most accessory shops. Easier than trying to grind off the whole of the nut.
trevor 206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-14, 02:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLENTOM123 View Post
Hi

got a prob with a sheared locking wheel nut. Ive taken it to a garage and they spent about an hr with a cobalt drill but gave up.

Just wondered if anyone has any experience of drilling thru these nuts? Was thinking about buying a carbide drill bit and giving it another go (seeing as the garage has made headway of about a cm into the head). Or if anyone else has an idea or better solutions would be interested to hear them.

Glen
last time what I did was get a deep impact socket that did not quite fit over and hammered it on and used impact gun to take it out prob is you say bye bye to the socket
Old 11-07-14, 02:59 PM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor 206 View Post
Once you've drilled a pilot hole surely a screw extractor will undo it, they're under a tenner from most accessory shops. Easier than trying to grind off the whole of the nut.
The extractor will sheer and because they are hardened you cant drill them, leads to a whole new world of sh!t
storeman likes this.
Old 11-07-14, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
last time what I did was get a deep impact socket that did not quite fit over and hammered it on and used impact gun to take it out prob is you say bye bye to the socket
think this would be my thought on it also

Mine thankfully were taken off by the previous owner It cost him 80 per wheel to have them removed
Old 11-07-14, 04:07 PM   #7

One locking bolt had gone on my last 307. Was going to get a bolt welded to the locking bolt and try to remove it that way but before I got round to it some numpty decided to park their punto in the side of my car and wrote it off. When I got the replacement I decided to remove the locking bolts first thing. Strangely, the locking bolts came off real easy - it was the standard bolt that I struggled with. Still replaced the locking bolts as they are bound to fail just when you need to remove the wheel.

I'd go with the smaller socket or trying to weld another bolt onto the locking bolt before trying to drill the head off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-14, 04:18 PM   #8
Inactive User

Last time I had to get one off I welded a piece of tube on it (weld inside the tube) then get some stilsons on it
cliffo72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-14, 11:25 PM   #9
Inactive User

Tks for the replies. Tried to upload a pic but couldn't attach it. But have a link below to how it stands at the mo. Whatever route I take it looks like its going to be a definate pain in the arse!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhnzw0vq7v4xdsu/photo.JPG
GLENTOM123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-14, 12:22 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Worst design of lock nut I've ever seen. When I got my 2nd 307 I made the dealer replace them with standard bolts before I got it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have owned: '00 Speedfight2 50cc '96 106 1.5d Escapade '97 306 1.9d D-turbo '99 306 1.9d D-turbo '03 307 2.0hdi 110 Rapier '06 307 2.0hdi 136 XSI '04 Peugeot 206 2.0hdi XSI
stevoxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in