Peugeot 306 MOT failed- please help! - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Bodyshop Techniques & Modifications
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-02-15, 08:50 AM   #1
Inactive User

Default Peugeot 306 MOT failed- please help!

Hi I was wondering if any one could help/ give advise?

My Peugeot 307 (04 plate) has just failed it's MOT.

A reason for refusal of MOT was-
'Offside rear coil spring broken'

Does anyone know what this means?
Do I need to or should I replace both?
How much for parts?
How much for labour?

Also I have advisory items as followed:-

- near side front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.
- offside front (steering arm into steering rack) drag link end ball joint has slight play.
-oil leak

Can any one help with these and let me know if they are dangerous? Should be done urgently? How much they might cost? What would be best to get done first if I can't get all done together?

Thanks in advance.
Kayla91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-02-15, 09:03 AM   #2
Inactive User

you will be ok to just replace the broken spring, it's personal preference on whether to replace both

say approx 30 for the spring, labour depends on book time - possibly an hour? (I paid 110 to have a spring replaced on my 407)

any further info on the oil leak, can you see where it's leaking or dripping on the floor?
Old 17-02-15, 08:54 PM   #3
Inactive User

I asked the garage about the oil leak they just said it's probably coming from the engine. So not very clear but I will get someone to check it soon.
Thank you
Kayla91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 18-02-15, 06:16 PM   #4

The n/side spring will be just "hanging free" when the o/side is replaced so its best to replace the pair at the same time.
Its a known problem with Peugeot.
Old Pug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-03-15, 01:47 AM   #5
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla91 View Post
Hi I was wondering if any one could help/ give advise?

My Peugeot 307 (04 plate) has just failed it's MOT.

A reason for refusal of MOT was-
'Offside rear coil spring broken'

Does anyone know what this means?
Do I need to or should I replace both?
How much for parts?
How much for labour?

Also I have advisory items as followed:-

- near side front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement.
- offside front (steering arm into steering rack) drag link end ball joint has slight play.
-oil leak

Can any one help with these and let me know if they are dangerous? Should be done urgently? How much they might cost? What would be best to get done first if I can't get all done together?

Thanks in advance.
Spring is a definate get fixed obviously as its a fail.

Howver the advisarys are a funny one, some garages are really parnickity about things. I had the same rubber bush advisarys on my car but on boths sides front and back.

i also had a drag link ball joint mentioned. Had a garage have a look and thought the MOT tester was over the top, bushes were fine.

couldnt find any loose balljoint either - they did however replace the tie rods and inner tracks before doing the tracking whichw as needing done and that solved the clunking over bumps at low speed.

spring has already been answered but i thought id just add about the advisarys.
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-03-15, 08:22 AM   #6

What a broken spring can look like:

See more on this thread:

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/.../index182.html
Old 27-03-15, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Dave View Post
you will be ok to just replace the broken spring, it's personal preference on whether to replace both

say approx 30 for the spring, labour depends on book time - possibly an hour? (I paid 110 to have a spring replaced on my 407)

any further info on the oil leak, can you see where it's leaking or dripping on the floor?
SPRING SHOULD AND MUST ALWAYS BE REPLACED IN PAIRS! the reason for this is that a new spring will act different from and old one and different makes are slightly different so as to no affect the stability of the vehicle they should be replaced in pairs across the same axle otherwise your car may lean a bit on one side
Old 27-03-15, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Dave View Post

about 25 for a pair of springs and I can do both rear in about an hour there easy on 307, just jack back up and put on axle stands and unbolt the shockers and axle will drop down enough to put both springs in then bolt shockers back on
Old 27-03-15, 03:56 PM   #9
Inactive User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
about 25 for a pair of springs and I can do both rear in about an hour there easy on 307, just jack back up and put on axle stands and unbolt the shockers and axle will drop down enough to put both springs in then bolt shockers back on
fancy doing my front and back shocks? my springs are fine they were all replaced a few years ago. LOL

Id agree, id prefer to have pairs replaced since as mentioned and old suspension part is going to have different characteristics to a new one.
bazsound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 27-03-15, 05:19 PM   #10

It's not a particularly hard job. As mentioned, back springs are easy. Front springs will require a spring compressor and caution, compress spring, disconnect drop link, unbolt shock from hub carrier and then unbolt top of shock from engine compartment to remove spring and shock together. Unbolt top bearing, pop spring onto new shock, secure top bearing, unwind spring compressors carefully then refit the spring/shock assembly in reverse fashion ensuring you follow correct torque settings, use new locknuts and thread lock where appropriate.
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in