Missing paint - how to protect bodywork? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Bodyshop Techniques & Modifications
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-03-13, 07:01 PM   #1
Inactive User

Question Missing paint - how to protect bodywork?

Since I've had my 307 there's been a pretty big dent on the skirt under the driver's door. At the top of this dent there's a chunk of paint missing. Apparently the previous owner had this painted over to make it look relatively normal - they didn't do a great job, as the paint has come off.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with 'painting over' the bare metal - how to prepare the surface, what paint to use, and how to protect it (some sort of invisible coating?). I'd be most grateful for any advice! Pictures below:

Oh, and the front passenger side wing has popped out and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get it to go back in. Has anyone experienced this, and if so... how did you fix it?

Coliliqui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31-03-13, 07:37 PM   #2

Quickest way would be to get a small aerosol of grey primer, try to get the correct grey for the colour of the car. Clean the bare metal and use a rust inhibitor. Spray over the bare metal using even sweeps.

Better would be to try and pull out the dent, sand down the damaged area and slightly into the good part all the way round. Fill in the area using thin layers allowing eacj layer to dry befire applying the next layer until the filled area is slightly higher than the profile of the body. Leave to fully cure the rub down with mid to fine grade wet & dry paper. Your sense of touch will help to get the contours close to the way it should be. Paint with primer, allow to dry thoroughly then use several thin coats of top coat, gently rubbing each coat with the finest wet & dry you can get. Clean with water and dry before applying the next coat. When the colour is correct, apply a couple of coats of clear.

Relatively cheap in materials but expensive in time to do a decent job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
storeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31-03-13, 07:43 PM   #3

The first thing you need to do with the sill is make it worse... You need to get some fairly coarse grit wet n dry sandpaper and rub the area down - you want the bare metal to go shiny and the edges of the paint to be gone - so there's a smooth change from paint to metal - any steps will result it more flaking. After that you need an etch primer (aerosols available fairly cheaply), then colour (Looks like your car is EXL but it might be EXY - EXL is metallic, EXY is solid black so should be easy for you to tell) - there'll be a tyre pressure sticker near the drivers door (often under the checkstrap on the A Post, sometimes on the edge of the door, and recently, occasionally on the passenger side) with a 4 letter code at the bottom - it'll have EXL or EXY in the 4 letters. You'll need the paint and a clear lacquer to protect it. It's a lot of hassle, and time consuming once you take into account masking off etc.

Once you do all that, you'll still have a nasty dent in the sill, probably close to 40-50 in materials, and a pretty crappy looking finish unfortunately. I'd strongly recommend you have it done properly - a small private bodyshop should do that for about 100 I'd think, and it'd look good.

EDIT - I started typing this a while ago and just finished it lol - there were no replies when I first started it...

Old 31-03-13, 09:32 PM   #4
Inactive User

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't think it can look much worse than it already does, so I'll happily invest the time and materials necessary to seal and protect the area Regarding the wing... I might see if I can get the wheel liner and headlight off to figure out how it should snap in place
Coliliqui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in