How to Full Blown DIY Alloy Repair? - Peugeot Forums
Peugeot Forums - Peueot - Citroen Community
Home :: Peugeot Forums :: Rules :: Articles :: About Us :: Partner Vendors :: Advertise

Go Back   Peugeot Forums > Peugeot Tuning & Modifications > Bodyshop Techniques & Modifications
PeugeotForums.com is the premier Peugeot All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-13, 02:17 AM   #1

Default How to Full Blown DIY Alloy Repair?

Morning all!

I've a set of alloys on my old 306 that's now a knacker, I fancied having a bash at restoring them. They were a bit scuffed and unloved when I bought it but after it's played me up something rotten I'll confess to letting them go somewhat, worrying more over the rest of it!

There's alot of rust and scuffing, flaking bubbly paint. As far as I know, no major damage but one may have a little bead damage as one tyre likes to go down a smidge on and off a bit.

Pics of the poor souls below, before it got taken off the road. Sorry they're not very good, they are zooms from some old photos I took months ago, but it gives and idea of the level of damage to them. Yeah they were often allowed to get disgracefully mucky some days when I was on country runs.. *shame*

Now, I love getting my hands dirty and having a little "project" to keep me occupied, I'm not worried too much if they don't come out immaculate and unblemished, I just prefer a nice big set of alloys. These are 16"

I've had a look at some of the minor repairs on here, and people have done a great job.

How hard is it? What's involved in a total refurb of them?

I'm assuming first port of call would be removing the tyres and blast them back to metal, if there's any blemishes, is there anything I can fill them with? Milliput? (hard as hobnails and seems to be the patch-fix of choice around my house!)

What's the best primer and hard wearing paints to use? I'm handy with a spray can as I'm into modeling and art, but obviously the stuff I use isn't designed to stand up to the abuse of the road.

I'm thinking maybe put them on the 307 when they're finished, and having another car means I really can take all the time in the world on these ones from the 306.

If there's anyone in Kidderminster or surrounding who can do shot/sand blasting for a decent price, please do get in touch, I know of one chap who does it in this area but he's usually full to bursting with company projects these days. I'm up for meeting folks and learning new things! (:

Cheers all!
Soph.

Last edited by Wooblet; 02-04-13 at 02:21 AM.
Wooblet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-13, 06:12 AM   #2
Inactive User

You could just sand them back yourself?! https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...-refurb-24782/
Old 02-04-13, 06:51 AM   #3
Inactive User

If your in kiddy, theres plenty of places in the wolverhampton area that would blast them for you. The bead damage/tyre going flat you speak of is most likeley water damage, which would clear up after the blasting. Personally id use two different types of paint on them. Hard enamel on the outside and a sealer type paint on the inside and rear. Nothing more annoying than finding a flat on a cold damp morning, is there??.
philip clark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-13, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinpac View Post
You could just sand them back yourself?! https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/...-refurb-24782/
Thanks cabinpac, I did have a look at that one, and considered hand sanding, but all four are quite bad now (possibly slightly worse in some places than those photos show) and I don't think hand sanding them would quite do the job of a good blasting to get in all the nooks.

I'm going to need to hand finish and possibly refill all four on top surface areas as all have rust on them in abundance now, hence asking about compounds that could fill small areas, as I have kerbing damage on one that's gouged it a bit, it'll need something to fill it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip clark View Post
If your in kiddy, theres plenty of places in the wolverhampton area that would blast them for you. The bead damage/tyre going flat you speak of is most likeley water damage, which would clear up after the blasting. Personally id use two different types of paint on them. Hard enamel on the outside and a sealer type paint on the inside and rear. Nothing more annoying than finding a flat on a cold damp morning, is there??.
Ohyes, lol. Come out a few times and the little tyke looks dead as a dodo on one wheel! I kept a footpump in the rear footwell for that very reason, haha. Reassuring it could be water damage though, they are superbly rusty on the front faces so god knows what they look like on the beading.

Do you use anything to seal them with to stop the rust coming up again? On Landrover painting jobs I've used Iron Oxide before on the base metal to protect it. Anything like this of use on these or do most sprays these days have an anti-rust compound in them already?

I'll have a nosey at the yellow pages and see what commercial places are available in the area that offer a competitive price for blasting.
Old 02-04-13, 12:22 PM   #5
Inactive User

You could use a drill with a attachment to clean them off. I gave it a go as I figured if it worked it cost me nothing
Old 02-04-13, 01:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinpac View Post
You could use a drill with a attachment to clean them off. I gave it a go as I figured if it worked it cost me nothing
Why didn't I think of that! Night shifts are clearly addling my brainmeats! I've got a small mains drill but I could probably get the loan of a larger one for the job to hand.

There's a decent looking filler, paint and lacquer kit on ebay I might go for.

Took a photo of my worst sorry looking alloy to show you all just how bad they are. Should have done them sooner but now I have another motor I can sort them at leisure at least.

Are these beyond the realm of help or do you guys reckon they can be resurrected from the dead?

Soph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Peugeot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in